How To Dunk Like Jordan! (Physical CI Melee for Dummies!)(Ridiculous Survivability and Damage)

Thanks for a detailed explanation!

Aye, i'm in the process of hoarding up some decent CI gear atm so i can make the transition.

Hoping to have around 3-4k ES at 74ish at least, hopefully it'll be enough for the lowest maps.

I'm still new to the game (played approx 1.5 weeks), but the build looks too awesome to not try out. After i saw kipps video a week or so ago (the old one) i was sold. But your build seems much more to my liking, so it'll be interesting.

I've some reading to do on CI it seems. From what I've seen, the chance to apply status effects are rolled vs your total HP, which in CI's case will always be a horrible roll.

Unwavering stance makes the permastunning one less issue, but I've to find out how likely burns/frozen/chilled status effects are, and the countermeasures for it.

Sucks to hear that puncture goes through the ES (even though the name implies it :p), thought chaos damage was the only thing that should be able to breach through.

I won't bother you with that though. :)

On a side note, if i sell all my gear, i should have 9-11 exalts, hopefully, and hoping to grind up at least as much before i switch.
Last edited by krilox on Apr 23, 2013, 4:35:27 PM
u obv dont want to take it in that my build is like 3 more points then urs even if i used all points..... thing is i drop inner force. if that is super crucial ok!

and going for iron reflexes is much better down right side of tree cause there is a lot of good stuff to get there.

im not saying i am right and ur wrong i just want to hear ur opinion why its better. im going to try this build that u have made. with maybe some modifications
"
krilox wrote:
Thanks for a detailed explanation!

Aye, i'm in the process of hoarding up some decent CI gear atm so i can make the transition.

Hoping to have around 3-4k ES at 74ish at least, hopefully it'll be enough for the lowest maps.

I'm still new to the game (played approx 1.5 weeks), but the build looks too awesome to not try out. After i saw kipps video a week or so ago (the old one) i was sold. But your build seems much more to my liking, so it'll be interesting.

I've some reading to do on CI it seems. From what I've seen, the chance to apply status effects are rolled vs your total HP, which in CI's case will always be a horrible roll.

Unwavering stance makes the permastunning one less issue, but I've to find out how likely burns/frozen/chilled status effects are, and the countermeasures for it.

Sucks to hear that puncture goes through the ES (even though the name implies it :p), thought chaos damage was the only thing that should be able to breach through.

I won't bother you with that though. :)

On a side note, if i sell all my gear, i should have 9-11 exalts, hopefully, and hoping to grind up at least as much before i switch.

Not sure if you will ever check this, but puncture does not go through, it just does a rediculous amount of damage if you leapslam, because that seems to count as movement. Furthermore, you have a 50% chance to get any staus effect from the respective damage as long as you have ES up, so essentially Dream Frag is almost a must, and so is a dispell burning pot.

With a 200 es helm, 150 es gloves/boots, a little es on your rings/ammy/belt, and a 400es chest and the build I posted for lvl 73ish, it would be around 3.5k es total I believe. If you can get a linked maul instead and get a 600-700 or even 800-1000 es chest, you could have as much as 7-8k es with that. With the final level 86 version, I can get get roughly 2k es for every 400 more es I get, so with godly gear (400 es helm, 100 chest, 250 gloves, 250 boots, 60 belt, 30 on both rings, 40 on ammy) I can get around 11-12k es.
Ign: TheMidgetCow (Level 88.8 CI Leapslam Templar --- Default)
TheMidgetCowAmbush (Level 91.7 Buzzsaw Ranger --- Ambush)
TheMidgetCowBurns (Level X LowLife RF Scion --- Ambush)
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/348309/page/1 --- Legacy Guide to CI Leapslam Templar
"
martinwub wrote:
u obv dont want to take it in that my build is like 3 more points then urs even if i used all points..... thing is i drop inner force. if that is super crucial ok!

and going for iron reflexes is much better down right side of tree cause there is a lot of good stuff to get there.

im not saying i am right and ur wrong i just want to hear ur opinion why its better. im going to try this build that u have made. with maybe some modifications

The reason to go through the middle is for the dex nodes, which are crucial to balancing your stats and allowing you to use certain supports and auras.

INNER FORCE IS HUGE!!!!

Inner Force grants an amazingly large amount of ES, Survivability, and Damage!
It works on Discipline, giving about 200 more base es (that's another piece of gear!)
Grace -- about 400 more evas, Determination --- about the same, Hatred -- about 3-4% more added back in... Granite Flasks, Flask uptime, Blood Rage Life Leech amount.

The biggest part is the Flask uptime and Leech amount from Blood Rage. Without IF BR is only 10% Life Leech at level 17. With it, it becomes 13%. Pretty big, because that kicks you from not being overcapped (compared to reflect) to being overcapped on leech.
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/348309/page/1 --- Legacy Guide to CI Leapslam Templar
"
Midnightgem wrote:

Not sure if you will ever check this, but puncture does not go through, it just does a rediculous amount of damage if you leapslam, because that seems to count as movement. Furthermore, you have a 50% chance to get any staus effect from the respective damage as long as you have ES up, so essentially Dream Frag is almost a must, and so is a dispell burning pot.

With a 200 es helm, 150 es gloves/boots, a little es on your rings/ammy/belt, and a 400es chest and the build I posted for lvl 73ish, it would be around 3.5k es total I believe. If you can get a linked maul instead and get a 600-700 or even 800-1000 es chest, you could have as much as 7-8k es with that. With the final level 86 version, I can get get roughly 2k es for every 400 more es I get, so with godly gear (400 es helm, 100 chest, 250 gloves, 250 boots, 60 belt, 30 on both rings, 40 on ammy) I can get around 11-12k es.

Ah ok, so it doesnt go through, but does more damage then on say a hp build? Or is puncture just that powerful in maps? :P

50%, sounds like i'll be chilled/shocked alot even with dream frag :)

"
krilox wrote:
"
Midnightgem wrote:

Ah ok, so it doesnt go through, but does more damage then on say a hp build? Or is puncture just that powerful in maps? :P

50%, sounds like i'll be chilled/shocked alot even with dream frag :)

Yes. You will get shocked and chilled near-instantly, but being chilled isn't that bad since you can avoid it with proper micro. The scary part is being shocked --- I recommend bringing some type of anti-shock pot. Personally I am attempting to reroll my mana pot for that, as the prefix/suffix on there do not matter, is it is just a bit of supplemental mana regen on noregen and half regen maps, incase your leech cant keep up or you miss an attack.
Very usefull post gratz dude...
"
Midnightgem wrote:

Without IF BR is only 10% Life Leech at level 17. With it, it becomes 13%. Pretty big, because that kicks you from not being overcapped (compared to reflect) to being overcapped on leech.

Like i noted, i have no clue how it is practical to recast BR after every mob u kill? So your 13% figure is the theoretically max for a single mob and a separate recast, under real conditions BR is 6% * 130% = 7,8% or 5% * 130% = 6,5%.
I could be wrong, but do u really recast BR after every single leap slam?

So considering the extra 46 Dex needed to go from 5% to 6% and the difficulty to get those, depending on other dex skills used, it might be a better idea to just use a 5% BR and spend the dex nodes elsewhere.

bye Andy
Last edited by AndyPandy22 on Apr 24, 2013, 7:20:49 AM
I came to this forum looking for some info for my 2nd toon - a staff fire templar, and saw your post. My reaction was "mother effer!" because I thought I was pretty unique in the melee CI build on my main (Level 70 dual-claw Shadow), but it is very similar to what you're doing.

I did learn something invaluable from your post though - I had missed the benefits of IF entirely, and am going to have to figure out how to make it into my build.

It's interesting that you talk about Carnage heart...I was looking at it as a possibility just last week, but I have considerably less ES than you (around 3.6k at best with my current ES gear and Discipline (Lvl 16), and I'm playing with Darkray Vectors at the moment so I'm actually at 3k), although I probably have considerably higher leech than you already (16%) with my built-in 12% from my Eagle Claws, plus the claw leech passives I took. I don't have VP yet, but I'm heading that way now. Have IR, and my post-aura armor is 11.8k.

I use Bloodrage as my main buff, and almost never have to recast it, and rarely lost my Frenzy charges until I got the Darkrays (I helped Kraityn for the extra frenzy charge, and have passives so I have 7 total ATM, and the 8th is in easy reach). My main attack is DS (about 10k dps of mostly phys damage with Frenzy charges, which could be higher if my 5L was properly colored), and I use Cyclone with Multistrike, Blind, and Faster attacks as my AoE, which is working quite well for me ATM.

I too am dependent on a 2% mana leech item, although Mind Drinker is fairly close in my tree, so I could grab it and give myself more freedom (perhaps Doedre's ring, since I'd like to be able to do WM + TC or Enfeeble). I run Grace, Determination, Purity, and Hatred. I don't think I can afford the points for both Mind Drinker and Unwavering Stance, so I'll probably stick with a mana leech item over having to go with the Eye of Chayula.

Because this was my first toon and I wasted respec point on really stupid passives I took early on, I couldn't afford to completely respec...so I had to muddle through with a low life non CI build in cruel, which was horrific. So, I definitely agree that someone wanting to do this should save their respec pts, accumulate ES gear for their swap-point level, and then swap specs and gear late-ish in the game. Once I upgraded my gear and got CI, I started cruising...merciless was FAR easier than cruel for me.

As an aside, when it comes to level grinding, I found Dread Thicket to be an awesome spot with CI. A lot of chaos dmg mobs, linear map, 2 super-easy unique mobs, and a decent chance for large treasure chests. It's level 62 mobs in merci, so it's actually equal or higher level than most of Act III, even though it's Act II. I mostly play alone though.

Here is my current tree, fwiw. I'd welcome thoughts.

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgYABbUMjQzyDUkOrQ-rEHsRLxR1FdcY2x4aJ6koKimlKwoshSy_MFQwfDSTNj02QjrtO-E9ZUBVQ5xHBlFHVmNaGl9qY3BtGW5pb1d0QXTxd9d_K3_GhNmGrofbiGuLeo2_j_qSgJlXmZqaeJ65oqOly6Z_pyuoGq0ers-xs7TFtUi2Qbb3vjq-p8EAwcXB88Lsw23EuM3q1fjXhtsa2-fdSOL362PrjuwY7UHv4_VL_5M=

One problem I have that you don't is that I'm wearing mostly EV/ES gear, and getting the right socket colors is a royal pain on a 5L when you're looking for multiple red sockets that a melee build requires.

Here are the uniques I'm currently using...

Last edited by MrMonkeyshines on Apr 24, 2013, 1:01:07 PM
http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAgUAhMREcop0D1SpaBRNBLODOIFvnYDvfJ48Tdh8u4x2JIsZ6d7B5K3AGmaeWfNxTfrSrKqazx0UJ-1yqVHmQ2OPRvPdfNm0L7cxpwhBP1j1FVC4k53EDH3r7hB_KPqESMaegseVIDyOQYdGcQFveri0DFfJrpNs9pMnNAoqOBzcN2Z_xiymwcUnqabr7BgsvzeDw22P-oau6rrb5xXXRwbXhl9qwuxWY7TFKwoFtcEAjb_N6gzy2xpRR6XLEHswfD7P9Ut_K73mvjp313RBFHUOrUOcKaUY23TxLIUhYFoaQKDvTjIJKLVgiGFSn8s=
YOU CAN SEE MY BUILD

I USE CI MACE FS SWEEP
IGN:HK___HENRY

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info