Beware of The Forbidden Trove - Discord's Negative Influence on the Path of ExIle

https://old.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/13pjslx/psa_if_you_value_your_trust_on_tft_dont_ask_for/

TFT mods are now allegedly banning users for reacting to their posts with emojis. I'd like to follow that up with xD but I'm worried I may be banned by proxy for inappropriate and unsanctioned emoji use.
"
pr13st wrote:
Maybe TFT is GGG's dirty little secret, featuring the reddit mods.

PS I am NOT a belton fan can't stand him really.

Wouldn't be the first time GGG had a direct link to people RMT
i just dont understand why doesnt GGG make their own discord with the same exact tools like TFT? instead TFT is owned by some kid literally he pinged all of his 400k users advertising his mirror service and people got pissed about it and they started spam emote reactions and that guy literally banned anyone who used any kinda of reaction emote can you imagine how ridicilous it is? he banned like 2000 people in 1 hour this is why we cant have such impactful discord owned by community but need to be owned my GGG but GGG sadly does nothing about it and most people would not even play path of exile if they couldnt use TFT you can sell entire tab of essences/scarabs/fragments/etc in super quick way and to one buyer i was selling my 50 divine worth of scarabs in 10 mins with 90% of original price imagine trying to sell that through poe trade seperately? impossible
Last edited by Gopstop22 on May 24, 2023, 1:59:23 AM
"
Gopstop22 wrote:
i just dont understand why doesnt GGG make their own discord with the same exact tools like TFT?

Because someone else doing work for free is not the same as you doing the work yourself and quite frankly TFT probably circumvents a whole chunk of key notes in their design document about access to bulk currency, boss farming and trade resources in general.

Many of the "problems" that TFT solves were intended to be problems
"
Many of the "problems" that TFT solves were intended to be problems

Finally someone talking sense
"
Gopstop22 wrote:
i just dont understand why doesnt GGG make their own discord with the same exact tools like TFT?

It would be a hell of a lot of work to moderate and it's not worth them getting involved with, they get enough unfounded paranoid accusations thrown at them as it is without getting involved with running a trading discord. Either they set up a proper ingame way of bulk trading and selling services or they don't bother but setting up their own discord isn't viable. That being said given how many people are seemingly upset with TFT I don't get why a group of players haven't tried to set up a rival.
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
Gopstop22 wrote:

It would be a hell of a lot of work to moderate and it's not worth them getting involved with, they get enough unfounded paranoid accusations thrown at them as it is without getting involved with running a trading discord. Either they set up a proper ingame way of bulk trading and selling services or they don't bother but setting up their own discord isn't viable. That being said given how many people are seemingly upset with TFT I don't get why a group of players haven't tried to set up a rival.

Probably the same reason giants like Amazon or Google reign superior with close to monopolistic industry leads. Once you have an established service for big parts of the community it becomes increasingly harder to introduce basically the same system. Why would anyone swap to a new platform that is not inherently superior while also NOT having the amount of players to trade with that TFT has?
"
Vennto wrote:
"
RandallPOE wrote:
"
Gopstop22 wrote:

Probably the same reason giants like Amazon or Google reign superior with close to monopolistic industry leads. Once you have an established service for big parts of the community it becomes increasingly harder to introduce basically the same system. Why would anyone swap to a new platform that is not inherently superior while also NOT having the amount of players to trade with that TFT has?

Yeah there's that and despite there being regular complaints a lot of people don't actually care how it is run as long as it works for them in the same way that most people don't really care how Amazon treats their employees as long as they get their cheap shit. I would have expected someone to have a go though at least even if it garners little momentum - I suppose the threat of being forever blacklisted from TFT makes for an effective deterrent if your rival doesn't take off.
Last edited by RandallPOE on May 24, 2023, 7:40:48 AM
"
Gopstop22 wrote:

Because they embrace community interactions/participation. I can see why; there's a lot of positives to be had. But regarding trading, I think they should take full control. They did, after several years, make their own trade site. Lets just hope they come to their senses and improve the whole system so TFT isn't needed anymore.

The chances of that happening, though... With one guy/intern working on the site alone? Good luck.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:

Because they embrace community interactions/participation

I disagree with that opinion, especially so in the last number of years.

Not only have they gone virtually silent, they philosophically disagree with the information these tools & sites provide. They have come to accept that some of this is out of their hands, but don't be mistaken, they don't like it at all.

CW has spoken a number of times on PoB for example. He definitely hasn't "embraced" it, he hates the amount of information it gives the player. And imo, one of the reasons a GGG version has never come, despite him saying they have been working on a planner for years.

GGG reluctantly deals with it because they know a significant portion of the playerbase wouldn't be here without those tools. They have outsourced themselves into a corner, just trying to save a few bucks. (Which in retrospect makes little sense)

Also you are right about the one guy handling all of trade. I too found that comment on the last league stream to be absolutely bizzare. For all the commentary on how sacrosanct the economy is, and how vital trade is to their loot balancing and progression, they treat it as an afterthought in practice. Truly confounding.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info