PSA -- Simple fact update: Tencent don't own ~85% of GGG. They currently own 93.33%.

"
Coconutdoggy wrote:
dude really thought 3.21 is a nerf patch LOL it practically tripled most builds raw power if they're willing to put in the time or just trade it works too.

LMAO

ikr?
But they ain't gonna get it for free, than's the problem for most ;(
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
It's actually so ridiculous dude the amount of power you gain from this mechanic but they're like

MUH RNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG dude it literally triples or even quads your fucking power like it's not even a contest
Dys an sohm
Rohs an kyn
Sahl djahs afah
Mah morn narr
yeah maybe I got it wrong. I guess enjoy it while it lasts.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
innervation wrote:
"
teksuoPOE wrote:
how does one keep the passion while owning less than 7% of a thing?

Prior to the Tencent sale, 3 employees owned 100% of the company so...nothing changed for the other 297 then, did it?

Sorry but that was never true. In 2011, Chris said somewhat tongue in cheek that they were lucky to have rich friends for support. Excluding the fairly high profile mtg champ Brian Weissman (who was tmk never a GGG employee), at least a few private investors got their payday out of the acquisition. I came a little too late to get in on that and by the time I asked the buy in was far too rich for my blood.

Regardless, Chris owned a majority, of course.

And I agree: you don't need to own a thing to be passionate about it. If anything, the new safety net lifted a huge weight from CW's shoulders and he should have been free to get even more passionate...and who knows, maybe he did. He is a businessman as much as he is a dev (if not more so these days) and GGG's ongoing success may well owe itself to Chris' post-10c freedom to work on the business rather than worry about ensuring everyone gets paid. Dunno. Doesnt really matter anyway. Wearing fewer hats is rarely unhealthy. That does matter imo.
The name says it all.
When you're financially set for life, you do things your passionate about. From everything i can tell, the people at the top love the work they are doing at GGG, what % is held is irrelevant. Tencent could buy out the remaining % and we'd most likely still be getting amazing content for as long as they are still passionate about what they have built.
Holy crap, annual income is insane. I'm glad they're doing well. It's only right, considering they have the best ARPG on the planet.
"
darkdhaos wrote:
Holy crap, annual income is insane. I'm glad they're doing well. It's only right, considering they have the best ARPG on the planet.

Impossible! Haven't you heard? PoE is dying, and has been for years.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Phrazz wrote:
"
darkdhaos wrote:

Impossible! Haven't you heard? PoE is dying, and has been for years.

Dying is just one of the game mechanics. It can be abused using thrive while dying support gem.
"
innervation wrote:
"
teksuoPOE wrote:
how does one keep the passion while owning less than 7% of a thing?

Prior to the Tencent sale, 3 employees owned 100% of the company so...nothing changed for the other 297 then, did it?

Profit sharing? Bonuses? Raises? Who knows?

Didn't Chris promise to keep the majority of the assets (at least 51%) within GGG?.... unless i fabricated this memory. If I did't and this was stated, does anyone know what Chris or GGG had to say about selling the whole game?
Last edited by AintCare on May 10, 2023, 10:48:36 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info