PSA -- Simple fact update: Tencent don't own ~85% of GGG. They currently own 93.33%.

The title says it all and I'm not going to play armchair analyst with a few public record documents
I am not sure if anyone else has posted this but there you go. I'm posting this just so that we're all on the same page as regards an objective truth. I've been saying '~85%' for years, because (surprise!) I can get stuck in the past like anyone else.

Functionally, I don't see much difference between ~85% and 93.33% -- it's a controlling majority either way. But it's a good practice to get facts right when we discuss these things and this is one I think at least a few of us may have been getting 'wrong'.

I cast no judgment and make no argument. Just noticed the change when I was fact-checking for an otherwise unrelated discussion elsewhere.

Have a good day, Exiles.

source

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last bumped on May 11, 2023, 8:43:17 PM
Well, that's another 8.33 percent reason to keep the overlords happy on GGG's side.
IIRC, there is (or was) some info available in their documents regarding the fact that Tencent has the option of buying them out completely over time. Maybe over the course of 10yrs, or something like that. I can't recall the specifics clearly as its been quite a while now. They have indeed been doing that though, slowly but surely.

Edit: Last time I checked their percentage it was at like 88-89% already.
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by aggromagnet on May 4, 2023, 12:37:23 AM
Says GGG is owned by Sixjoy, which is owned by Tencent. Its not weird theres another gaming company in the middle?
And?
"
SoulMule wrote:
Says GGG is owned by Sixjoy, which is owned by Tencent. Its not weird theres another gaming company in the middle?

It's not weird at all. Look at any megacorp and you will find it's the "parent" company of a bunch of other "parent" companies. Tencent is more like great grandparent, or perhaps a little more true to its cultural roots, the godfather. Not quite familiar enough to be "uncle", but probably more connected than...say...landlord.

Still, kinda amusing. A PC game with a somewhat elitist playerbase infamous for shitting on casual and mobile games owned by a mobile developer owned by the same company that owns Fortnite.

Heh.

Tbf though I probably read and enjoy niche books from the same publisher as YA pulp that sells by the million. One doesn't directly support the other but they are part of the same overall structure. I can personally dislike the pulp but it is in my own best interest to see it succeed.

The name says it all.
Last edited by 鬼殺し on May 4, 2023, 5:45:30 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:

Tbf though I probably read and enjoy niche books from the same publisher as YA pulp that sells by the million. One doesn't directly support the other but they are part of the same overall structure. I can personally dislike the pulp but it is in my own best interest to see it succeed.

Or even that you enjoy games by FromSoftware who Tencent also have a stake in via Sixjoy.
Easily more than 70% of the gaming population is playing games that have Chinese money in them.

Time to move on from the 2016 drama.
Uploaded an awesome Exsanguinate Freeze Explosion build on the forums - https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3508506
hoho
-Official Forum Dweller-
-I started the hoho movement-
-Exploit Early - Exploit Often-
-Moderators are absurd and OP-
It's not a conspiracy. Tencent and other shareholders aren't concerned with “gameplay” in the investing world. Monetization, player engagement/retention and growth are paramount.
Streaming Path of Exile on Twitch: Twitch.tv/ActionRPGs

“There are only two great tragedies in life: one is not getting what you want and the other is getting it.” ―Oscar Wilde

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info