PSA -- Simple fact update: Tencent don't own ~85% of GGG. They currently own 93.33%.

Just curious. Wouldn't one write Tencent doesn't own since Tencent is a singular noun?

As in "It doesn't own"

Not trying to be cute - genuinely wondering.
Last edited by superbomb1967 on May 5, 2023, 2:06:29 PM
"
superbomb1967 wrote:
Just curious. Wouldn't one write Tencent doesn't own since Tencent is a singular noun?

As in "It doesn't own"

Not trying to be cute - genuinely wondering.
You must be a fellow American, or a speaker of American English at least. We treat the likes of a "company" or "government" or even "family" as singular with little to no exceptions. That's just what comes more naturally to us.

They're also collective nouns though, not purely singular, so they absolutely can be treated as plural. That's commonly the case in British English.

Edit: And that "collective" aspect carries over to individual examples of that type of collective noun as well.

Edit2: Also, @OP calls Australia home. So you'll see stuff like that out of him sometimes... :-)
I have a pretty good sense of humor. I'm not German.
Last edited by aggromagnet on May 5, 2023, 5:51:11 PM
I didn't even know that Tencent owns part of GGG. Damn, I need to keep up. Sorry if I sound oblivious, but I haven't been following POE for quite a bit. Even back then I was not involved at all.
matters not, GGG said Tencent will not affect their way of developing the game...but yet again GGG says a lot and does so little lately so we can expect another "we are sorry post"
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.
The majority of Chinese owned companies are required to "tithe" to the CCP.

The long-awaited plan, partially funded with the money from your MTX, was put into motion last Feb.

This is going to painful.
Can someone explain to me the difference(s) between owning 85% of a company and owning 93%? And before you answer with "8%", I'm looking for the practical and or legal differences.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
Last edited by Phrazz on May 7, 2023, 9:44:19 AM
"
Phrazz wrote:
Can someone explain to me the difference(s) between owning 85% of a company and owning 93%? And before you answer with "8%", I'm looking for the practical and or legal differences.

it means that poe's success matters even less for the nz folks now cause more of them are on a fixed salary plus a one time bonus.

does it matter? i don't know. we will see on exilecon2 how enthusiastic they still are for their game.

age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
Well, technically it means "Feedback and Suggestion" thread is even more useless.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
"
Vendetta wrote:
matters not, GGG said Tencent will not affect their way of developing the game...but yet again GGG says a lot and does so little lately so we can expect another "we are sorry post"

They also said 'there would be no nerf in XYZ league'.
The good faith between GGG and many players had vanished many moons ago.
"
Networm13 wrote:
"
Vendetta wrote:

They also said 'there would be no nerf in XYZ league'.
The good faith between GGG and many players had vanished many moons ago.

Yea exactly how I wanted to put it...

GGG owning only ~6% explains why he does all the I'am sorry posts and not some old chinese dude :)
Never invite Vorana, Last To Fall at a beer party.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info