How is this game playable in melee?

"
Baharoth15 wrote:
You tried a pretty good (though glassy) melee build this league and it changed your view quite a bit. Just imagine how much more it's going to change if you delve deeper.. And honestly, crucible has little to do with it. Sure the blatant powercreep makes it easier but it's not needed to make good and viable builds.

Yeah, don't get me wrong here; I've done melee builds stronger than this. I did LS for three leagues (when LS was pretty OP, doing W30 Sims and so on), and I've done several Cycloners capable of most things (Dual wield in Delirium, Staff in Harvest/Ritual and Hollow Palm last league). And we all know 3.15 hit melee pretty hard, especially physical builds. And the leagues in between Legion and Expedition? Melee was probably in a better state than now, at least for the majority of players. The very top end was maybe a bit lower.

And while the power creep isn't "needed", it makes it possible to go for more than pinnacle bosses for more players - on more builds. Pinnacle bosses have never really been a huge problem. It's what comes beyond that's the biggest problem - but that's probably more about mechanical design, rather than balance.

And while sustain is easy on melee - and sustain can make you tackle/facetank 'most' content, it's harder to fit in real defenses for those situations where you're unable to utilize your sustain, and certain un-telegraphed oneshots where sustain is useless.
Sometimes, just sometimes, you should really consider adapting to the world, instead of demanding that the world adapts to you.
"
Baharoth15 wrote:

TL:DR: Get a clue.

...can't be arsed to console every newb crying in here though.
- Nice. Me neither.

As for the issue with DPS uptime, it's mostly a build matter...
- Sure thing. People that complain about that due to them being melee shouldn't complain on a forum post about the difficulties of melee builds

There are some exceptions like Uber Sirus with his degen grounds but every Guardian, every Pinnacle boss and 5 out of 7 Uber Bosses can simply be face tanked for easy 70-80% dps uptime...
- lol, ok.

Not to mention that the whole uptime argument falls apart entirely the moment you get enough DPS...
- The best offense is more offense. Just farm more until your argument falls apart.

Uber Sirus gives you a ~5 sec DPS window in his last phase before he uses any of his big moves, if you just kill him in that time the fight ends with you having 100% DPS uptime...
- You have 5 seconds to drop the final phase of Uber Sirus guys. Just don't take longer to beat uber sirus in his final phase ok.

As for that idiotic POE Ninja "argument". If you can't even tell the difference between viability and popularity you should really keep your mouth shut...
- oof, hahaha. I was specifically looking at the top 13 skills used and expressing the community's tendency to avoid melee. Can I open my mouth now please?

Half of the POE ninja builds are non-functional bullshit builds that only serve to showcase DPS...
- If you filter by DPS then yeah, true. Those Original sin, Reave builds were about as sturdy as an overripe grape.

I'm guessing we're at an impasse. No hard feelings.

No one can hear you poop in the forrest.
"
Draegnarrr wrote:
Its up to each player to dictate where on that particular spectrum they want to be. Don't take a no mechanics approach because it works for you and tell others they are doing it wrong for learning said mechanics.

Missed this part yesterday so i want to clarify. I don't want to tell you how to play the game. You should play it the way you have fun with it, same for everyone else here. The right way to play the game is always the one that's the most fun for you.

That said, don't blame the game/archetype if your idea of having fun in this game means to purposefully make suboptimal decisions.
If you think tanking stuff is wrong and everything should be dodged for whatever reason, please do, you've got my blessing.
But realise that this is YOUR choice and there IS an alternative. If you make that choice, don't go complaining about the consequences afterwards.
It's not that melee has low DPS uptime, YOU have low DPS uptime with melee because you decided to do so.

It's the same as with that Slam topic a few months ago. If you want to play a slam build with marohi erqi, RT, stun investment and shrine meme items then that's perfectly fine, i won't tell you not to. But don't take that build as a benchmark to go and say "slams suck". There are way better ways of playing slams, if you want to judge the archetype, judge it based on a proper build, not on a meme. Same here, you want to make judgements on melee, then at least play it in a somewhat efficient manner. You won't go and try to facetank Uber Eater with an LA Deadeye and then complain that LA is shit when it fails, so why are you doing it here?

It's like playing ruthless and then complaining about no loot or complaining about HC punishing deaths. You have alternatives, you've decided to play those modes anyway, it's your choice.

Last edited by Baharoth15 on May 16, 2023, 8:24:37 AM
Sort answer, melee is not available. Too much after death effects, monster auras, not to mention that you can't avoid or dodge anything the monsters shot and at high levels a hit can be as high as 16K.
If monsters aren't able to shot while in melee, they remove after death explosions, burning grounds, there is blocking or dodge reaction etc... Maybe could be viable.
Last edited by B00b on May 24, 2023, 11:44:06 AM
Simple objective fact: There's no reason to go melee other than "because i want to" as everything else outclasses melee. Efficiency, defense, damage, etc. Lightning Strike at 0,8%, so i guess they fixed that one too. Only Boneshatter left.

Unplayable? Let's not be over melodramatic. Mathil pretty much plays with anything, just follow one of his builds.
Balanced? Fuck no. Still limping from the 3.15 kidney cheap shot.
Ruthless should be [Removed by Support].
I've lost control of the controls...
Jesus take the wheel"
RAizQT during Kammel HC race
Last edited by Ain_Soph_Aur on May 24, 2023, 3:09:04 PM
"
Baharoth15 wrote:

The problem i see with totems is that if your build needs to use red gems therefor strength (so like 90% of melee build) you automatically need to reserve 3 sockets for your totems. Otherwise you lose 1/2 of you damage. That you need to maintain and re-apply each time you move or the boss move.

Players want to play melee with other options than having totems in almost all their build.

For me the biggest problem with melee is exactly the fact that you almost always need red gems in 3/4 of you gem slots.

There is too much emphasis on physical damage + conversion (because there's so few good elemental damage focused weapons).

"melee suck" because there is limited variety. All builds are pigeonholed in the same few mechanics.

Why do they make melee use totems. Jesus that should have been fixed now. Totems should aid totem builds, not have this hybrid effect that melee have to unwantingly have just to dps the pob.
100 people towns with hang out fields. Witcher taverns. Free hair style options. IRO War of Emperium gvg map.

https://clips.twitch.tv/ChillyFrailLobsterPMSTwin-jQe3D4Yt2ZttgsdA

https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/15cetf5/new_frigid_bond_support_love_u_guys/
Last edited by RuneLuthien on Aug 25, 2023, 4:32:48 AM
"
AdRonZh3Ro wrote:
Simple objective fact: There's no reason to go melee other than "because i want to" as everything else outclasses melee. Efficiency, defense, damage, etc. Lightning Strike at 0,8%, so i guess they fixed that one too. Only Boneshatter left.

Unplayable? Let's not be over melodramatic. Mathil pretty much plays with anything, just follow one of his builds.
Balanced? Fuck no. Still limping from the 3.15 kidney cheap shot.

Speaking of objective facts there are 330 active skill gems in the game. at 0.8%, Lightning Strike is overperforming and needs nerfed. That's how this works, right?
I find melee leveling much faster than spell leveling. Also, melee clears my favorite mechanics (ritual and delirium) faster than spells.
I only enjoy melee. Im not best at it but it gives me most fun.

Hate bow builds. Spells are OK but still mele is most enjoyable.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info