Sandstorm Visage heralds

The new Sandstorm Visage helmet does not add the base crit chance to heralds, bug or working as intended?

"Base Critical Strike Chance of Spells is the Critical Strike Chance of your Main Hand Weapon"
Last bumped on Jan 12, 2023, 9:07:46 PM
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.

Same bug. I shouldnt have to give herald of thunder base crit, but I decided I would try that to troubleshoot it. I've given Herald of Thunder base 1 Crit with Self-Fulfilling prophecy cluster jewel (being reduced by 40% by Marylene's ). I've also tried supporting it with Increased Critical Strikes Support, which adds 2 base crit. Both of these interactions are working as expected.

The helmet, however, isnt modifying Herald Of Thunder's (a spell skill that creates a storm and has a base crit of 0) base crit. It isnt getting the 7 base crit from the mainhand wand I am holding.
Last edited by philosophersean on Dec 12, 2022, 11:06:13 AM
Same issues. Looking to know if this will be fixed or not :)
+1
+1
This isn't a bug. Herald skills do not scale with spell damage or modifiers, it says this in the gem description.
Last edited by Shaboigles on Dec 14, 2022, 9:55:42 PM
Thanks for your report, I'll pass this on.
I hope this is unintended and gets fixed. I see this interaction as similar to the "Socketed Spells have +x% to critical strike chance", which does work on heralds.
"
Shaboigles wrote:
This isn't a bug. Herald skills do not scale with spell damage or modifiers, it says this in the gem description.
Spell damage is one of the four damage kinds in PoE. Most of hitting spells deal spell damage. However heralds deal secondary damage - another kind of damage. Thus spell damage modifiers don't affect heralds damage. Examples of spell damage modifiers are "% increased spell damage", "% more spell damage", etc. Heralds are spells, and modifiers that refers to spells as a skill type works with heralds.

Base Critical Strike Chance of Spells is the Critical Strike Chance of your Main Hand Weapon
is reffering to spell skills, not spell damage, and should be either fixed or reworded.
"
Base Critical Strike Chance of Spells is the Critical Strike Chance of your Main Hand Weapon
is reffering to spell skills, not spell damage, and should be either fixed or reworded.

Agreed.

On top of that, setting a value isn't an increase or reduction IMO. Chaos Innoculation doesn't decrease your maximum HP to 1, it sets it to 1. Maligaro's Virtuosity doesn't increase or decrease your critical strike multiplier to 300%, it sets it to 300%. Slayer Overwhelm ascendancy doesn't increase or decrease base critical strike chance to 8%, it sets it. There are countless other examples in POE that follow this logic. I could go on.

This item sets a spell's base crit to your mainhand weapon's crit. If that other chap disagrees that Herald of Thunder / Herald of Ice are spells, lets see them try to activate either with Gruthkul's Pelt equipped!

Increases and reductions should be Increased, Reduced, More, Less, +, -, etc. Setting a value shouldn't be considered an Increase Or Decrease. Increases and Decreases are how skills are scaled.

Thank you for helping to clarify it to them and anyone else who disagrees. This working with Heralds, imho, is the consistent way to read how the mechanic works in POE terms. This item already has a heavy downside (can't cast on crit). This seems like an entirely fair use case.
Last edited by philosophersean on Dec 20, 2022, 3:21:44 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info