"There is a lot of cool stuff going on behind the scenes that we just can't talk about yet." - Bex

"
"
ChanBalam wrote:
off site posts?

I love what you did there. Makes this place feel like 'on-site', i.e. where the actual work is being done, and 'off-site' being some detached, abstract, managerial space where the decisions are made, and not always in a feasible or even smart way.

Also doesn't paint those promoted from on-site to off-site in the best of light, but I suppose that's inevitable. Maybe we need an episode of Undercover Boss? Heh.

Happy Thanksgiving! Are roasted drop bears on your menu?

Undercover boss would be "cool news" but who would that be?
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
"
MrWonderful99 wrote:
"
Walkiry wrote:
"
Xyel wrote:
The more time passes, the more this tweet grows on me 'I know the last couple of months were a bit rough, but don't worry, everything is going to be okay. Here's a manifesto full of nerfs to make it better.'

Brilliant!

They're removing the burden of predictability, what else do you need? Don't you feel unburdened yet?

----

I'm OK with the manifesto's so far. But that is a far cry from any cool stuff or fixing the loot fiasco - which actually gives me hope since surely GGG would not make a statement like that and give us nothing?? Right? Echo?

I want to sincerely thank you for the belly laugh and leaving a smile on my face.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
ChanBalam wrote:
"
"
ChanBalam wrote:
off site posts?

I love what you did there. Makes this place feel like 'on-site', i.e. where the actual work is being done, and 'off-site' being some detached, abstract, managerial space where the decisions are made, and not always in a feasible or even smart way.

Also doesn't paint those promoted from on-site to off-site in the best of light, but I suppose that's inevitable. Maybe we need an episode of Undercover Boss? Heh.

Happy Thanksgiving! Are roasted drop bears on your menu?

Undercover boss would be "cool news" but who would that be?

They are not -- although I am familiar with TG from my years spent over there and my partner (she's skyping with her dad in STL in a bit), the inherent 'reason' for TG is far too Amerian-centric to make it overseas for the most part but for expats. I do have an old school friend in Tokyo who celebrates it because his roomie is American and every year (give or take) they host a dinner. But it's not like, say, Halloween, where different countries have their own version thanks to ancient roots, or the ubiquitous WW1-spawned November 11th observance with its myriad names (Remembrance Day, Armistice Day, Poppy Day, Veterans Day) -- although I've just learned that New Zealand don't observe it at all and reserve their memorials for 25th April (Anzac day) because fuck the British Empire I guess. ANYWAY, nope.

Bex, of course. Chris going undercover in GGG would be like Walter White trying to fit into a NA meeting in the roughest part of ABQ. The thread's about Bex, the ostensible community manager (or something, I forget her actual title but it seems to be less engaged-on-the-ground and more media-hype-generation-from-on-high role, which is perfectly fine). To my knowledge, Undercover Boss doesn't *have* to be the big boss. Just someone who feels they might be disconnected from the essential cogs of the machine due to their role in seeing only the machine itself.

I have to admit I don't think I'd ever eat a koala. Australia is infamous for its edible coat of arms (I've eaten both kangaroo and emu -- the latter is fucking amazing, the former is tough and gamey), but that could be because we didn't put a fucking unicorn or a lion on it. But koalas? I feel like they'd just taste weird due to their exclusive eucalyptus diet and sedentary lifestyle. Well gee thanks, there's my clickhole for the day. And here I was planning on playing more Alaloth.

___

Back on topic, hype is okay but what's really important is knowing how to rationally be prepared when it lets you down. My personal method is to be almost forcibly pessimistic and then pleasantly surprised when something I don't want to be shit doesn't turn out to be shit. It's a gentle hypocrisy full of grumbling and press X to doubt at trailers and press releases and junkets and tweets and all that, all the while suffused with a fragile flicker of hope...maybe...maybe it won't suck?

And if it does (and odds are it will, one way or another), then you're ready for it. If it doesn't, you're also ready for it. It's a win-win.

All it takes is a little effort not to fall for some pretty obvious manipulations, all the while acknowledging there might be some truth to said manipulations.

Temper that with past performances -- does this particular hype machine have a history of underperforming on the day? Is it spitting a familiar narrative? Are you already biased towards it because of that? This can be armour, but it can also be a wall.

Oh, and most important is a willingness to be wrong by not investing your identity in needing to be right about things absolutely out of your control. That's...probably not the easiest thing in the world, not with tribalism everywhere.

Then again, when the hype machine says 'we have lots of cool stuff coming for you guys but we can't talk about it' I imagine that type of hype isn't for non-believers or possible converts. That's more like greasing already moving wheels, a maintenance hype for flagging morale and hesitant, wavering devotees. 'Cool' only works if you already like the 'stuff'.

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
jewel: whatever, have to see actual implementation to judge. yea you can get that 1% mana reserve mod now but it's like 25 weighting out of 50000 so why bother.

AN: long-due changes, AN should have not been a common thing since day 1.

altar: it is a nerf. still no pause when altar spawn, and the reason GGG gave is absurdly arrogant and lazy there, they basically just don't wanna do anything.

in what way you are seeing anything good right now? I am not seeing GGG over-achieving here by any measure.

I bet they can't even put ultimatum back in this league. I think they basically messed up POE2 schedule so massively they just can't spend anytime on POE 1 anymore.
Last edited by colossalaiur on Nov 24, 2022, 8:59:55 PM
"

They are not -- although I am familiar with TG from my years spent over there and my partner (she's skyping with her dad in STL in a bit), the inherent 'reason' for TG is far too Amerian-centric to make it overseas for the most part but for expats.

Bex, of course. Chris going undercover in GGG would be like Walter White trying to fit into a NA meeting in the roughest part of ABQ. The thread's about Bex, the ostensible community manager (or something, I forget her actual title but it seems to be less engaged-on-the-ground and more media-hype-generation-from-on-high role, which is perfectly fine). To my knowledge, Undercover Boss doesn't *have* to be the big boss. Just someone who feels they might be disconnected from the essential cogs of the machine due to their role in seeing only the machine itself.

___

Back on topic, hype is okay but what's really important is knowing how to rationally be prepared when it lets you down. My personal method is to be almost forcibly pessimistic and then pleasantly surprised when something I don't want to be shit doesn't turn out to be shit. It's a gentle hypocrisy full of grumbling and press X to doubt at trailers and press releases and junkets and tweets and all that, all the while suffused with a fragile flicker of hope...maybe...maybe it won't suck?

And if it does (and odds are it will, one way or another), then you're ready for it. If it doesn't, you're also ready for it. It's a win-win.

All it takes is a little effort not to fall for some pretty obvious manipulations, all the while acknowledging there might be some truth to said manipulations.

Temper that with past performances -- does this particular hype machine have a history of underperforming on the day? Is it spitting a familiar narrative? Are you already biased towards it because of that? This can be armour, but it can also be a wall.

Oh, and most important is a willingness to be wrong by not investing your identity in needing to be right about things absolutely out of your control. That's...probably not the easiest thing in the world, not with tribalism everywhere.

Then again, when the hype machine says 'we have lots of cool stuff coming for you guys but we can't talk about it' I imagine that type of hype isn't for non-believers or possible converts. That's more like greasing already moving wheels, a maintenance hype for flagging morale and hesitant, wavering devotees. 'Cool' only works if you already like the 'stuff'.

We're off to STL next week to visit family to avoid the travel rush.
And thanks for the Albq reference! I used to own a specialty casting company and we made the fake pizza that was tossed on the roof in S3E2 of Breaking Bad. It did look tasty, but was resin.

Of course you are right Bex would be perfect for undercover Boss. In lieu of that, I do wish she would post in these forums. I certainly don't believe the hype. There have been too many missteps in communications to get sucked in again.
"Gratitude is wine for the soul. Go on. Get drunk." Rumi
US Mountain Time Zone
Dude you were instrumental in the greatest scene of prestige TV, ever. Fuckin' mad respect.
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info