Path of Exile Audio Team Q&A

Any stories of memorable unused SFX that you have hanging around because the original content it was going toward got shelved?
Why is/are there random static and white noise in game when no action is present?

Why ware there so many sound bugs, (delayed effects / no effects) when lots of actions are performing at once in game?

Why do I have to go into my .ini and disable sound to get better performance/be relieved of jitters and audio hiccups?

Are we sure we want to go down the road of now pointing out the audio issues on top of what's already problems identified since this league launch?
Last edited by JediWabbit on Oct 3, 2022, 6:18:26 PM
I don't have a question; I just wanted to say that PoE has the most satisfying sound effects. The PURE pleasure of shattering and (although they never contain anything,) opening bone chests.

<3 to sound team
"
Dreugh88 wrote:
Why does disabling audio (not muting it) have such a drastic effect on performance?

This is way outdated and was fixed several leagues ago. If you still think you have this issue you have a very underperforming pc.
Can we get a more advanced Sound Option? Have a Channel Count but maybe a pack count? Something that limits the number of effects going on. I don't know anything about sound cards and what have you, but I can figure out what works and keeps the game play smooth. As is too much commotion goes on and everything becomes garbled to the point of not being able to enjoy the music and sound effects. Love the Sirus Awakener of Worlds track. Might not have labeled it correctly, but it's just so creepy and eerie and sets a tone for this is fucking awesome. Somewhat reminds me of the terror I felt when I first played Diablo and was scared playing.
More broadly than "what makes <x> sound so satisfying?", is there any kind of science or psychology behind making a sound satisfying, or what sounds humans find satisfying to hear repeatedly? If so, how do you leverage that when designing sounds for skills, item drops, etc?

Second question: could you give us a breakdown behind the transformation of voice-acted lines for bosses and NPCs? How do you decide what sorts of audio transformation effects to apply to match a character's personality or physical description?
Twitch: AphelionPOE
reddit: aphelion_perihelion
"
GraveRoT wrote:
Any talks on loot goblin sound effects coming next league?

LOL
Curiosity is followed by ambition. Ambition, is followed by madness.
Why when Exiles die all sound gets muted and it sounds like I died instead?
Why are Lightning Striders near silent?
Why are Obelisks silent until they're obliterating you?
Why are there not separate Sound FX sliders or player and enemy side audio?

What audio effects did you mix for Sirus' angry voice. I've emulated it in a mod I made using Sony Vegas but doesn't come out right. Potentially due to the voice actor.

Can we have a Zana voicemail message?
"Never trust floating women." -Officer Kirac
Last edited by Xzorn on Oct 3, 2022, 6:52:24 PM
"
Because that's the problem with the game right now... audio...

twice it says "Audio Team" or "our sound designers" but you instead complain like some hoes
When the spiders from Arakaali's Fang Kirac Vault pass cosmetic de-spawn, to me it sounds like a heavy bear trap closing. I'm interested why that sound was used, is it as simple as it's loud and obvious so you can know your spiders will need to be summoned again?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info