widescreen resolution removed from the game.

[Removed by Support]

While it is great that the community fixed this problem, users should not have to risk getting their accounts in trouble for potential TOS violations to restore basic functionality to this game. Basic functionality that existed natively with zero problems from 2013 until August 19, 2022.

Fix it, GGG.
The 352nd character to hit Level 100 in Standard
The 82nd character to hit Delve 1000 in Standard
Last edited by Ian_GGG on Nov 21, 2023, 8:34:39 AM
I don't believe widescreen should be the issue, but mobs behavior.
Widescreen loads more and the server probably loads it all, that's why you get one-shotted alot more.

I wish you could retain widescreen, but mobs could not attack you from too far away (sort of an inactive/freeze mode for mobs that are outside your view)...at least when you play by yourself.

In party that scenario would be a bit harder to coordinate (figure each party member's viewscreen overlap areas to determine mob behavior).
"
Kethril wrote:
I don't believe widescreen should be the issue, but mobs behavior.
Widescreen loads more and the server probably loads it all, that's why you get one-shotted alot more.

I wish you could retain widescreen, but mobs could not attack you from too far away (sort of an inactive/freeze mode for mobs that are outside your view)...at least when you play by yourself.

In party that scenario would be a bit harder to coordinate (figure each party member's viewscreen overlap areas to determine mob behavior).

I played hundreds of hours at 32:9 and didn't ever notice this as an issue.

That said, if there is/was an issue with mob behavior or AI, they should actually fix the issue, and not slap black bars on the screen and ruin the experience for ultrawide users. And based on the game's performance, I'm pretty sure the game is loading and rendering everything behind the black bars anyway.

1 year, 53 days.

Fix it.
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 11, 2023, 9:48:18 AM
1 year, 54 days

Fix it
"
tackle70 wrote:
[Removed by Support]

While it is great that the community fixed this problem, users should not have to risk getting their accounts in trouble for potential TOS violations to restore basic functionality to this game. Basic functionality that existed natively with zero problems from 2013 until August 19, 2022.

Fix it, GGG.

You are right of course.
Last edited by Ian_GGG on Nov 21, 2023, 8:35:06 AM
So as I understand this issue: besides hardware based issues (server burden) GGG don't want you to be able to:

1. have an advantage over other players because you can see more of the screen (and navigate more efficiently) and thus go faster than other people especially in a game where "perception of competition" is driving almost all the FOMO in temp leagues that motivate players to restart fresh every 3 months. And also There's "racing" and "first to kill" events.
2. see inactive monsters or game meta information they never intended the client to be able to show, for both aesthetic and gameplay AND buggy/interaction based reasons (more things can go wrong, more out of boundary situations). Basically this is a multiplier to "what can go wrong".
3. distort the games meta (how people play) even further than it already is distorted (which is to say massively fucked) by playing maps/tilesets/leagumemchanics and builds that leverage being able to see more of the screen. Causing players who don't have widescreen to feel pressure to upgrade which would cause even bigger bitch fest threads than this one.

If you don't believe these bullet points are a concern you didn't watch CuteDog before they nerfed/removed these modes.

I know this is super triggering for people who want their cool gear to be utilized (and thats reasonable) but you have to understand that the above points are completely reasonable game design concerns from any developer (and even other players) perspective. If you don't agree well you're not being very reasonable.
"only 10% of players care about melee" - Aesop's Fox if he was a GGG dev
"when you die in this game, typically you're getting one shot, you're dieing in one frame; almost always" -Ben_
Last edited by alhazred70 on Oct 12, 2023, 5:57:32 PM
"
alhazred70 wrote:
So as I understand this issue: besides hardware based issues (server burden) GGG don't want you to be able to:

1. have an advantage over other players because you can see more of the screen (and navigate more efficiently) and thus go faster than other people especially in a game where "perception of competition" is driving almost all the FOMO in temp leagues that motivate players to restart fresh every 3 months. And also There's "racing" and "first to kill" events.
2. see inactive monsters or game meta information they never intended the client to be able to show, for both aesthetic and gameplay AND buggy/interaction based reasons (more things can go wrong, more out of boundary situations). Basically this is a multiplier to "what can go wrong".
3. distort the games meta (how people play) even further than it already is distorted (which is to say massively fucked) by playing maps/tilesets/leagumemchanics and builds that leverage being able to see more of the screen. Causing players who don't have widescreen to feel pressure to upgrade which would cause even bigger bitch fest threads than this one.

If you don't believe these bullet points are a concern you didn't watch CuteDog before they nerfed/removed these modes.

I know this is super triggering for people who want their cool gear to be utilized (and thats reasonable) but you have to understand that the above points are completely reasonable game design concerns from any developer (and even other players) perspective. If you don't agree well you're not being very reasonable.

It's not triggering, it's just illogical nonsense based on spurious arbitrary reasoning.

Re:1 - It is arbitrary to select this as a disallowed advantage over other things in the game. Outside of race events, this game is not competitive in any real sense of that word, and there are a TON of other hardware and software related advantages that do as much or more to give players an edge. Multi-monitor setups, a host of 3rd party tools, high refresh rate displays with hardware to match, etc. If GGG want to black bar competitive races, that's just fine - but there's no reason to do that in the rest of the game when there are 20 other things players do to get an edge that are allowed (many of which involve real money, like buying stash tabs, fast hardware, and a high end monitor). And this also doesn't really address why 21:9 is OK but 32:9 is not. Again - there's no real logic here, just arbitrary inconsistent reasoning.

Re:2 - It is incompetent to address these things with black bars. Inexcusably incompetent. If the AI/mob behavior is a problem, fix it. If there are bugs, fix them. If you don't want the player seeing so much, put in some kind of fog of war system. Black bars are lazy and indefensible.

Re:3 - There is no evidence that 32:9 displays ever distorted this game's meta. That's some serious fake news revisionist history. And this game already pressures people to upgrade their hardware since performance goes down consistently over time as they upgrade the engine. You can't play this game at a high level in 2023 on anything like the hardware that let you do so in 2013.

I'd say referencing a known bad actor as support for your points is about as logical as me arguing that the game should have a 60fps cap to help solve the rampant problem with bots.

1 year, 55 days

Fix it
Last edited by tackle70 on Oct 13, 2023, 8:34:26 AM
"
alhazred70 wrote:

really love how much "gamer" hardware has completely ruined several games balancing and the way you play them.
yeah its awesome keep ruining games for your epic hardware that devs now have to account for. its great.

fighting games in particular have become a mess and now devs are just straight up allowing you to exectute moves with a single button completely ruining the balance and the point of the games.

I love how macros have made certain timing things completely pointless in game design and thats an ancient grudge there. [Removed by Support]

chances of getting a beta key 0.000001 %
Last edited by Tai_GGG on Oct 13, 2023, 12:32:49 PM
If GGG was so strongly concerned about fair play, how about either forbid logout macro on hardcore, or the contrary, just integrate it in game: auto logout for everyone whenever you are injured :)
"
Echothesis wrote:
If GGG was so strongly concerned about fair play, how about either forbid logout macro on hardcore, or the contrary, just integrate it in game: auto logout for everyone whenever you are injured :)

already exists and is almost just as fast as any macro if you're not a slowpoke, likely not the case if you play hc lol.
You just click esc zoom over to "exit to login screen" (which is conveniently almost perfectly centered in the middle of your screen) with your high dpi and left click. Takes less than a a second if done right lol.
If you're not able for such a simple thing you're likely too slow to process hc anyway

but kinda funny how all the softcore andies are triggered about "fare play" and logout macros in hc while pretty much most of all active hc players don't give a single f about it.
Flames and madness. I'm so glad I didn't miss the fun. hoho
Last edited by Pashid on Oct 13, 2023, 4:33:04 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info