[3.24] Ice Dancing Queen - Icestorm/Cyclone/CI - Viable For Everything

"
whiterockxx wrote:
another special note related to Bonechill effect and damage boost.
When you apply bonechill while not using icestorm (using coldsnap, lets say a 18%) then when you use the icestorm and the chill changes to 20%, this means that other chill was applied then the bonechill lost its effect.
I think that pob do a miss calc here and shows a higher false damage.
If that is true, on our staffs we must link Elemental focus(so it wont replace the chill) or the Bonechill itself in order to optimize our damage.
I need to test thi theory. Later when i back from work will test it... or someone could test it before!

Linking Cold Snap to Unbound Ailments will guarantee it has a higher chill effect than Incestorm.
"
whiterockxx wrote:
another special note related to Bonechill effect and damage boost.
When you apply bonechill while not using icestorm (using coldsnap, lets say a 18%) then when you use the icestorm and the chill changes to 20%, this means that other chill was applied then the bonechill lost its effect.
I think that pob do a miss calc here and shows a higher false damage.
If that is true, on our staffs we must link Elemental focus(so it wont replace the chill) or the Bonechill itself in order to optimize our damage.
I need to test thi theory. Later when i back from work will test it... or someone could test it before!

Multiple chill effects can coexist, they just don't stack.

See this thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3226584

The wiki is less clear, but still says that there is no way to remove chill, except at the end of its duration, which implies another, stronger chill effect does not remove it.

In your example, the enemy would be slowed by 20% and take 18% increased damage. Accordingly, it is not an issue for Bonechill.
"
WinterHiko wrote:
Multiple chill effects can coexist, they just don't stack.

See this thread : https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3226584

Thats a good info. TY!
"
Mumuzet wrote:
What other Warden skills are you going to take after the Oath of the Maji?
What Wildwood ascendancy is good for mapping? I suppose we have to change from the Oath at some point.

from what ive seen here https://www.poewiki.net/wiki/Charm
Primalist is gonna be easily the most usefull one.

In addition to a backpack for more inventory, we can get up to 120 int and ele penetration or energy leech. For Mapping we could gain Occultists for satisfying explosions.

now that i have a good enough armour ill just have to find the guy to switch ascendancy.
"
Vennto wrote:

Also on the more general side: Why in the hell do we actually waste 5 links in the chest for that cwdt-curse setup? Like, when I killed maven for the voidstone she was 80% without curses because I dodge the biggest attacks. Why arent we using just simple arcanist brand setup and free 2 gem slots?

Allright, I had time to look into Arcanist Brand.

From what I understand, you're considering a three-link : Arcanist Brand and two curses.

If I understand AB correctly (I've never played it), once it's cast on a mob, it triggers the linked spell one after the other every second (scaling with cast speed and gem quality). When the target dies, it reattaches to a nearby enemy. It lasts 3 seconds while attached.

There are a couple of problems I see with using that setup.

First, the biggest one is that you go from automatic application to manual application. Sure, it lasts 3 seconds, but it's self-cast, which requires you to stop and cast (especially annoying while Cycloning). Casting every three seconds is not great either.

Second, there's time. You cast AB, then one second after, you apply one curse, then another full second and you apply another one. CWDT + BL + Hextouch applies instantly, which means a full two seconds earlier, 2.8 if you consider AB's cast time.

This could be mitigated with cast speed, but that doesn't really benefit Ice Storm greatly because of the max amount of storms you can have active at one time. Accordingly, you'd be investing in a mediocre stat, sacrificing damage to compensate.

Third, there's coverage. One cast of Ball lightning covers the screen in curses. One trigger of AB casts the curse on the target, which means a lot of the mobs on screen will not get hit while mapping. This issue is less noticeable in boss fights, however.

The upsides are, as you mentionned, less gem slots used and not needing to be hit by bosses.

The first one is not incredible. You free up what is essentially a two- or three-link (if you sacrifice the flex gem slot). Not sure we can do much with that that would compensate for the loss of QoL and coverage.

The second one (not needing to be hit) is interesting, but heavily beaten by better option. For instance, if you're willing to self-cast a spell to apply curses on the boss, you'd be better off using Vortex and also applying Bonechill in a six-link (incidentally saving a whole four-link in the process). You apply curses instantly, leading to more consistent damage, and you don't need to rely on Cold Snap trigerring to get that juicy 15-20% increased damage taken. You could also use Frostblink directly (popular for Sanctum), in which case you just need to blink on the boss to apply both curses instantly.

All in all, I do not believe it's worth it. There are, essentially, three major setup for curses in this build :

- Fully automated with Ball Lightning, but reliant on getting hit;
- Paired with chilled grounds and Bonechill with Vortex, but with cast time;
- Weaved into movement and dodge with Frostblink, but more dangerous for bossing, as you're giving up your dodge CD.
I'm enjoying this league, as the little sprites are effectively a map juicer. The low level maps don't have to be boring any longer! Go in, collect a couple thousand sprites, and have fun!

I had a cold resistant only doubly juiced beast that took me 5 minutes to kill, and got a nice pile of sadly nearly worthless loot. I'm enjoying it now -- it's possible in a week I won't!

Is there any faster way than random hunting to get the 500 nameless beast kills? I've had that quest since level 48 or so, and I'm only at 350ish.

P.S. A win is picking up a 70% Stampede for 15c. Still trying to finish coloring it...
Last edited by Graiaule on Dec 12, 2023, 2:35:36 PM
Do i get it right that in 3.23 we lost exposure? Can't see anywhere in links / gems.
"
Graiaule wrote:
Is there any faster way than random hunting to get the 500 nameless beast kills? I've had that quest since level 48 or so, and I'm only at 350ish.

P.S. A win is picking up a 70% Stampede for 15c. Still trying to finish coloring it...

I just followed blue wisps. But it seems like you get nameless kills from other colors too.

Do you use jeweler trick to color them?

"
SGBye wrote:
Do i get it right that in 3.23 we lost exposure? Can't see anywhere in links / gems.

You can get exposure from glove implicit. Eater of Worlds influence gives blue orbs that can give the mod.
"
Wermine wrote:

I just followed blue wisps. But it seems like you get nameless kills from other colors too.

Do you use jeweler trick to color them?

1. Yeah, sometimes the namelesses are concentrated, sometimes not. Haven't figured out the difference yet.

2. Of course. It's easy to run out of jeweler's orbs early though, and it's painful trying to find someone that responds to your buy request.
"
WinterHiko wrote:

Allright, I had time to look into Arcanist Brand.
All in all, I do not believe it's worth it. There are, essentially, three major setup for curses in this build :

- Fully automated with Ball Lightning, but reliant on getting hit;
- Paired with chilled grounds and Bonechill with Vortex, but with cast time;
- Weaved into movement and dodge with Frostblink, but more dangerous for bossing, as you're giving up your dodge CD.

Thanks for that very detailed analysis and answer. Refering to your map-coverage: Totally agree, Ball lightning is the far superior choice for mapping. I specifically was aiming at Single Target with my initial statement/question, maybe I should have made that clearer. Unfortunately, we can´t realistically change setups all the time so someone gotta pick their preferred way - on that node, I LOVED your alternatives, both with more advantages from self-casting than the arcanist brand idea. I´ll see if or how I will implement that. So far I just focus on mapping first and just now gotten the Ambush and Assassinate Jewels, Dmg spiked quite considerably now :D

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info