Soul Mantle Ridiculously OP?

I THINK SO! But of course due to the nature of rarity, I haven't had a chance to use one. In fact I didn't even know they existed until I stumbled onto someone selling one.
link: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/328292

Here is what it does:

1. Allows you to triple your damage output and utility by using it for dual totem instead of tri totem. The reason for this is your skills are no longer being disabled as they would be with the passive that gives dual totem. 2 totems plus your own spells would do more damage than tri totem would. This ability also synergizes scarily well with Elemental Equilibrium because you now have the ability to spam 3 different elements constantly the mana cost of spamming one!!

2. This chest takes a ferocious dump all over Tabula Whatsitsface because the free spell totem support effectively turns a 5-L into a 6-L chest! And yes, a 6-L into a 7-Link!! Even considering that Blank Slate has white sockets, it also gives 0 protection while this chest at least gives a MODEST amount of shield. Just enough to save you from getting one shot by a random spell or projectile that Blank Slate wouldn't have and save you tons of time making up lost experience.

3. Whenever your totem gets killed you are cursed with a level 20 curse. But what happens when you are equipped with this?

I don't have a clue. As is too often the case. There isn't much explaination about how the mechanics would interact with one another in the game.

discuss.

you still get cursed with mirror, tested mirror in pvp and still got cursed cept the other person got cursed as well.
IGN- Narutobieber
GUIDES:
Templar Budget Strike build: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/298433/page/1
Marauder Universal Endgame Skill template: http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/338007
you still get cursed with Atziri's mirror on, because it's an on-death effect and not directly aimed at you. At least that's how I think it's meant to work.
1337 21gn17ur3
"
you still get cursed with Atziri's mirror on, because it's an on-death effect and not directly aimed at you. At least that's how I think it's meant to work.

No, you get cursed because reflection effects don't protect you, they just inflict something on the source of the thing it's reflecting.
If I have two fish, and you have three fish, how many fish do we have?
None. These are MY fish.
Regardless of the source of the curse (even if it's an enemy mob), you'll still get cursed when you have the shield equipped anyway. The reflection doesn't stop you from getting cursed, it just means that whatever curses you will also get cursed.
The fact that you're restricted to level 14 spell totems, and that whenever these totems die (which includes the duration ending or moving your totems) you can get cursed with things like Temporal Chains and Enfeeble, so unless you've got constant warding flasks, coupled with the time it takes to repeatedly set up what becomes weak as hell totems later on, your dps doesn't jump as much as you'd think.

Why should a level 49 unique being better than a level 1 unique be a cause for alarm?

Curse Reflection can't reflect a curse on to your own armour. It does nothing. Read the Unique List thread again, Mark explained it there.
"
BearCares wrote:
Fixed.
"
BearCares wrote:
3. Whenever your totem gets killed you are cursed with a level 20 curse. But what happens when you are equipped with this?

I don't have a clue. As is too often the case. There isn't much explaination about how the mechanics would interact with one another in the game.

Curse Reflection is not curse immunity. You still get cursed.

What Curse Reflection does is simultaneously effect the caster with the curse when you are cursed. In this case, the caster is either you, or the game, or the dead totem. None of these is a particularly exciting prospect.

That said, Soul Mantle has a some real power, but also a very strong drawback. My guess is that it will be a powerful build-around-me, but no more powerful than Shavronne's Wrappings is for low-life builds.

The only thing I'm wondering is: we've got Kaom's, Shavronne's, now this... when does a Dex chest get to have some fun? (Carcass Jack was actually pretty good, but it wasn't pure.)
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Apr 12, 2013, 2:53:08 AM
all they'd really have to do would be to make Hyrri's ire add +20% dodge if you already have acrobatics and it would be a fairly ok chestpiece.

That said though I would support seeing something for pure evasion soonish.
1337 21gn17ur3
i already gave my opinion in that trading thread.

while extra totem is OP by itself, lack of Ehp and being cursed constantly (trust me there will be maps where your spell totems die like no tomorrow, especially considering how stupid their AI is at doorways and bends) wont make it OP overall.

kaoms is popular because it gives massive survivability in spite of having low armor and losing the massive dmg boost from another 6 links. shavs is popular because it allows u to benefit from low life items without dying easily.

whereas soul mantle gives a dps boost, but deducts massively from survivability. we're talking about 2-3k ES loss compared to a decent rare ES chest, and having to deal with additional curses.

i would say end game most ppl will be more conerned about not dying and wasting hours of exp, rather than dealing that much more dps. that will be the main reason why soul mantle wont become OP.

EDIT : forgot to add i would really want to see some love given for a unique eva chest... kaoms looks ugly on ranger :(
WTS Tons of good stuff : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/379249
WTB Godly MF witch gear : http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/346658
Paying VERY well, just let me know if u have upgrades for me
Last edited by 0rochi on Apr 12, 2013, 3:15:06 AM
In all honesty, Kaom's should have been a pure evasion chest. Acrobatics totally needed that shit.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info