[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

"
fezz8386 wrote:
"
5ecured wrote:
Four questions

1. I see a build on poeninja where instead of using totems, he uses a bunch of 6L auras like purity of elements, clarity, vitality, haste, etc. Is this actually better than using totems like it says in the guide?

2. IIRC, poison stacks infinitely, so the more i shower an enemy with toxic rain, the more damage they take right? Because the poison stacks infinitely?

3. What is the correct playstyle? When fighting normal monsters/mapping, you dont need to use totems since all you do is spam toxic rain and they all die, right? So you ONLY use totems when fighting bosses, is this correct?

4. With Conqueror ascendancy, the totems will taunt, therefore enemies will do 20% less damage to us. However, won't we, the champion, taunt as well? Sure, the totems taunt, therefore enemies do less damage to us. But what if after the totems taunt is applied, we most likely will be spamming toxic rain which means we, the champion, will attack and taunt the enemy? At this point the -20% less damage doesnt apply to us anymore, but to the totems, correct? So we only have like a split second to gain this benefit before it is lost again?

1. I don't know the specific build you are talking about, but there are plenty of types of Toxic Rain builds.

2. Although one could think otherwise due to the name, Toxic Rain does not deal any posion damage whatsoever - at least not by default.

3. Self-cast Toxic Rain is enough for most of the content (given that you have decent gear). For additional extra damage, e.g. for bosses or strong rares, you can place totems.

4. Quote from the guide: "Did you know? The Ascendancy passive skill ‚Conqueror‘ provides the bonuses „100% chance to Taunt on Hit“, “10% reduced Damage taken if you’ve Taunted an Enemy Recently” and „Enemies Taunted by you deal 20% less Damage with Hits and Ailments against other targets“. While you might think that the damage reduction of the latter doesn’t apply to you (since you wouldn’t identify yourself as „other target“), it actually does. The reason: Totems inherit the characters 100% taunt chance and totems that taunt enemies will cause the champion (meaning you) to take 20% less damage. As a consequence, Conqueror provides 30% less Damage from Hits and Ailments in total."

Cheers

Thanks Fezz, please allow me to ask a few follow up questions

1. I guess what i want to know is, is it better to have a totem setup in a 6L body armor, or is it better to have other auras such as purity of elements, clarity, vitality, haste, etc?

2. I see, i have been wrong all this time then. So how come ,the more i shoot toxic rain to an enemy, the more the damage?

3. noted

4. I should have been clearer. What i would like to know is, the moment the totems taunt the enemy, you take 20% less damage. but when you taunt the enemy, the totems receive less damage, not you. Is this understanding correct? So it keeps alternating between you and the totems taunting the enemy, so in a split second you receive 20% less damage, the next second its the totems, and repeat?
"
5ecured wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:
"
5ecured wrote:
Four questions

1. I see a build on poeninja where instead of using totems, he uses a bunch of 6L auras like purity of elements, clarity, vitality, haste, etc. Is this actually better than using totems like it says in the guide?

2. IIRC, poison stacks infinitely, so the more i shower an enemy with toxic rain, the more damage they take right? Because the poison stacks infinitely?

3. What is the correct playstyle? When fighting normal monsters/mapping, you dont need to use totems since all you do is spam toxic rain and they all die, right? So you ONLY use totems when fighting bosses, is this correct?

4. With Conqueror ascendancy, the totems will taunt, therefore enemies will do 20% less damage to us. However, won't we, the champion, taunt as well? Sure, the totems taunt, therefore enemies do less damage to us. But what if after the totems taunt is applied, we most likely will be spamming toxic rain which means we, the champion, will attack and taunt the enemy? At this point the -20% less damage doesnt apply to us anymore, but to the totems, correct? So we only have like a split second to gain this benefit before it is lost again?

1. I don't know the specific build you are talking about, but there are plenty of types of Toxic Rain builds.

2. Although one could think otherwise due to the name, Toxic Rain does not deal any posion damage whatsoever - at least not by default.

3. Self-cast Toxic Rain is enough for most of the content (given that you have decent gear). For additional extra damage, e.g. for bosses or strong rares, you can place totems.

4. Quote from the guide: "Did you know? The Ascendancy passive skill ‚Conqueror‘ provides the bonuses „100% chance to Taunt on Hit“, “10% reduced Damage taken if you’ve Taunted an Enemy Recently” and „Enemies Taunted by you deal 20% less Damage with Hits and Ailments against other targets“. While you might think that the damage reduction of the latter doesn’t apply to you (since you wouldn’t identify yourself as „other target“), it actually does. The reason: Totems inherit the characters 100% taunt chance and totems that taunt enemies will cause the champion (meaning you) to take 20% less damage. As a consequence, Conqueror provides 30% less Damage from Hits and Ailments in total."

Cheers

Thanks Fezz, please allow me to ask a few follow up questions

1. I guess what i want to know is, is it better to have a totem setup in a 6L body armor, or is it better to have other auras such as purity of elements, clarity, vitality, haste, etc?

2. I see, i have been wrong all this time then. So how come ,the more i shoot toxic rain to an enemy, the more the damage?

3. noted

4. I should have been clearer. What i would like to know is, the moment the totems taunt the enemy, you take 20% less damage. but when you taunt the enemy, the totems receive less damage, not you. Is this understanding correct? So it keeps alternating between you and the totems taunting the enemy, so in a split second you receive 20% less damage, the next second its the totems, and repeat?

1. It's not like you magically will be able to have additional auras (due to mana reservation), so my answer would be that for this build (in this guide), named auras would be worse.

2. Because the more Toxic Rain you shoot the more spores are on the ground which deal chaos damage over time (you might wanna check out this ection again)

4. No, as I quoted earlier the totems inherit the characters 100% taunt chance and totems that taunt enemies will cause the champion - meaning you - to receive 30% less Damage from Hits and Ailments in total. Both effects (the effect from taunting by yourself and the effect of taunting by your totems) apply at the same time.
Last edited by fezz8386 on Mar 17, 2023, 10:05:19 AM
Awesome guide, perfect for beginners and not only it walks though acts to make it a breeze this build also scales well into endgame without much investment. I was able to do early red maps with act gear, and after crafting the bow t14 maps were very smooth. I really enjoy that it doesn't force you to go trade, because as a new player I wasn't really comfortable with trade in the beginning, most of my gear is drop only and it's enough for me, this build overall feels very forgiving. I farmed some currency and later on switched to another build I wanted to try. Next league will probably try pathfinder TR to freshen things up.

Great guide, thank you!
Hello,

As it was getting near the end of the league, I decided to try some TR builds and see if I wanted to use one for my starter in 3.21. I first did Raider and Pathfinder and have now moved onto Champion. With the first two I leveled with Poisonous Concoction and switched to TR at the completion of the campaign. This worked very well as I already had a +3 Short Bow, Devouring Diadem and a bunch high level evasion gear.

With the Champion it is a little different as I am switching over at level 33 with just a 4-link Quill Rain and a Tabula. My question is should I use the 4-Link bow for TR or the Ballista setup (the other would use the Tabula)?

Thanks

--Edit

Made an executive decision and went with what I think Fezz intended with the guide:

Tabula
----------
Toxic Rain
Mirage Support
Faster Attacks
Void Manipulation
Efficacy
Vicious Projectiles (removed due to mana issues)

Quill Rain
-------------
Toxic Rain
Ballista Totem
Withering Touch
Multi Totem
Last edited by Skua99 on Mar 22, 2023, 2:27:42 AM
"
Tsunami1984 wrote:
Awesome guide, perfect for beginners and not only it walks though acts to make it a breeze this build also scales well into endgame without much investment. I was able to do early red maps with act gear, and after crafting the bow t14 maps were very smooth. I really enjoy that it doesn't force you to go trade, because as a new player I wasn't really comfortable with trade in the beginning, most of my gear is drop only and it's enough for me, this build overall feels very forgiving. I farmed some currency and later on switched to another build I wanted to try. Next league will probably try pathfinder TR to freshen things up.

Great guide, thank you!

Thanks, I really appreaciate the psoitive feedback!
"
Skua99 wrote:
Hello,

As it was getting near the end of the league, I decided to try some TR builds and see if I wanted to use one for my starter in 3.21. I first did Raider and Pathfinder and have now moved onto Champion. With the first two I leveled with Poisonous Concoction and switched to TR at the completion of the campaign. This worked very well as I already had a +3 Short Bow, Devouring Diadem and a bunch high level evasion gear.

With the Champion it is a little different as I am switching over at level 33 with just a 4-link Quill Rain and a Tabula. My question is should I use the 4-Link bow for TR or the Ballista setup (the other would use the Tabula)?

Thanks

--Edit

Made an executive decision and went with what I think Fezz intended with the guide:

Tabula
----------
Toxic Rain
Mirage Support
Faster Attacks
Void Manipulation
Efficacy

Quill Rain
-------------
Toxic Rain
Ballista Totem
Withering Touch
Multi Totem

Your executive decision is spot on ;) Once you get some mana (flask) nodes on the tree, you will be able use Vicious Projectiles Support again.
Last edited by fezz8386 on Mar 22, 2023, 2:33:27 AM
"
fezz8386 wrote:
"
Skua99 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

--Edit

Tabula
----------
Toxic Rain
Mirage Support
Faster Attacks
Void Manipulation
Efficacy

Quill Rain
-------------
Toxic Rain
Ballista Totem
Withering Touch
Multi Totem

Your executive decision is spot on ;) Once you get some mana (flask) nodes on the tree, you will be able use Vicious Projectiles Support again.

You were correct, once I got the mana nodes and my Enduring flasks upgraded, the mana problems went away.

As I had mentioned above, my goal with this build and the previous Raider and Pathfinder builds was to figure out which TR starter build I want to go with next league. The plus side to the Champion build is that it was pleasant leveling with TR instead of Poisonous Concoctions and being tanky. But I do have some concerns with using this build as a starter. First, I did my leveling with some twink leveling gear such as a 4-link Quill and a Tabula which made things unrealistically smooth. Second the new physical damage recipe for the two handers requires a Granite flask which is hard to get before level 33. And third it is that the build seems very dependent on 'Enduring' flasks which may take a lot of alterations to keep the mana flasks up to date.

Even with the above issues, people seem to be successfully using it as a starter build and the above concerns may really not be an issue. Bottom line is that I like this build and will probably give it a try next league as my starter.

Fezz, you did a great job with this guide and hope that TR will not see anymore nerfs.
"
Skua99 wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:
"
Skua99 wrote:
Hello,

Thanks

--Edit

Tabula
----------
Toxic Rain
Mirage Support
Faster Attacks
Void Manipulation
Efficacy

Quill Rain
-------------
Toxic Rain
Ballista Totem
Withering Touch
Multi Totem

You were correct, once I got the mana nodes and my Enduring flasks upgraded, the mana problems went away.

As I had mentioned above, my goal with this build and the previous Raider and Pathfinder builds was to figure out which TR starter build I want to go with next league. The plus side to the Champion build is that it was pleasant leveling with TR instead of Poisonous Concoctions and being tanky. But I do have some concerns with using this build as a starter. First, I did my leveling with some twink leveling gear such as a 4-link Quill and a Tabula which made things unrealistically smooth. Second the new physical damage recipe for the two handers requires a Granite flask which is hard to get before level 33. And third it is that the build seems very dependent on 'Enduring' flasks which may take a lot of alterations to keep the mana flasks up to date.

Even with the above issues, people seem to be successfully using it as a starter build and the above concerns may really not be an issue. Bottom line is that I like this build and will probably give it a try next league as my starter.

Fezz, you did a great job with this guide and hope that TR will not see anymore nerfs.

In my opinion, your worries are unjustified. The build is such a good League starter because it doesn't require any specific items to get started (at elast for now, let's ait patch notes :D).

In terms of the issue with the enduring flask. I played this build for x times now and getting the flask was never a problem.

By the way, where did you get the info on the recipe for the two-handed weapon? That is new to me. If you could share the source with me, that would be great!

Last but not least: Thanks for the feedback :)
Last edited by fezz8386 on Mar 25, 2023, 3:43:08 AM
Will this build continue on next league?
"
Aloranis wrote:
Will this build continue on next league?

I will update it as long as it is still viable. If it is viable, we will know once the patch notes of the next league have been released.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info