[3.24] fezz's Toxic Rain Champion - Step-by-Step PoE Build Guide for Beginners & Casuals

"
TheMeninist wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:
"
TheMeninist wrote:
I was hoping to get some feedback on my build thus far (level 91). I don't find it possible to do final bosses easily - and mapping is O.K. I feel a bit slow and squishy somehow.

https://www.pathofexile.com/account/view-profile/TheMeninist/characters -- WSBToxicRain is my character. Any feedback is welcomed.

The biggest flaw regarding survivability I can identitfy is that your items have low or none '+# to Maximum Life' (e.g. quiver, helmet, amulet, rings, belt). The skill tree provides '#% increased Maximum Life', but if the base life is low, your increased life is also low :/

On top of that ...

- you are still using an Eternal Life Flask, but you want to have a Divine Life Flask at this stage of the game.

- you are using a Bismuth flask although you are almost resistance capped (fire resistance is missing a bit) - and the modifiers are bad.

- your Granite Flask has the wrong suffix.

- you have negative Chaos Resistance. You should aim to cap it.

Regarding damage, you could go for the 'Trickery' node or the 'Wasting' node. Additionally, getting a better bow is recommended.

I hope this helps.

It definitely helps. I'll make those changes. A couple more questions for you:

- When should I be triggering Withering Step? I currently have it set to my move button.

- Are turrets supposed to boss for me as I run around? Or should I be attacking too? The problem is for big bosses I typically run out of mana pots.

- Do we only use Vaal Blight and Vaal Grace during tough fights? I only have room to use 3 auras - Malevalonce, Determination and Vitality.

- How do I get to 2-3m damage? I can update flasks but I don't see how I'm only hitting like 150k Dot dps or so it says on POB

- When should I be triggering Withering Step? I currently have it set to my move button.

-> Move button is fine

- Are turrets supposed to boss for me as I run around? Or should I be attacking too? The problem is for big bosses I typically run out of mana pots.

-> Ballistas are primarily there to add Wither and some additional damage. The most damages comes from your Toxic Rain main skill, so you should be attacking most of the time. In terms of flask charges ... if you follow the recommended skill tree and the mana related tasks of the guide, you should absolutely don't have any problems with that. (In short: If you use your tools correctly, you shouldn't have any problems; if you still struggle, take the 'Replenishing Remedies' and 'Arcane Chemistry' nodes on the skill tree)

- Do we only use Vaal Blight and Vaal Grace during tough fights? I only have room to use 3 auras - Malevalonce, Determination and Vitality.

-> I think that you also have followed/checked some other TR guides/builds and copied somehting out of them since Vaal Blight never was included in my build (in order to be more new player friendly; for more experienced players, it's an option). In terms of Grace ... you only use this if you fullfil specific requirements. The guide elaborates on that quite detailed so I recommend checking it again. In addition: Once you use Grace, you don't use Vitality anymore.

- How do I get to 2-3m damage? I can update flasks but I don't see how I'm only hitting like 150k Dot dps or so it says on POB [/quote]

According to PoB, you have ~1.2M DPS (see here: https://pastebin.com/YvnkRkx8). Check the 'Endgame' section of the guide to see your damage scaling options.

In general, I recommend follwoing the guide more closely in order to fix your problems. It feels like you did adjustments according to your preferences, but these adjustments lead to the problems you've mentioned ;) Question: Did you follow the written guide? If so, did you not follow the recommended skill tree? If so, why? (I'm still trying to improve the guide so your intentions/thinking here would help me to do that)

EDIT: I just realized that you didn't take any Mastery nodes on the skill tree. That's a huge mistake and you should fix this immediatley.
Last edited by fezz8386 on Feb 25, 2022, 9:03:04 PM
"
Chace1 wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:

If I import your build into PoB, your current Full DPS is 3.4M.

Important configurations are:

- Include both your main & secondary skills in your Full DPS
- # of Withered Stacks = 15
- # of Overlapping Toxic Rain Pods = 5
- Is the enemy a Boss? = Sirus

Here is your current PoB pastebin: https://pastebin.com/fAhpqCKD

By the way: You've followed the default skill tree in terms of evasion-related nodes, but your items (e.g. helmet, gloves, boots and even the body armour base evasion is quite low) barely have base evasion which makes those evasion-related investments kind of obsolet. In order to actually benefit from e.g. 'Ghost Dance' node, 'Reflexes' node or the Grace aura, you want/need to have higher base evasion.

I hope this helps.

Thank you for the clarification king.

Regarding the evasion and ghostdance thing. I'm at 30k evasion just standing there with Grace Aura. Isn't ghost dance 3% of your evasion which is 900 of 30k and I only have like 770ish energy shield. So am I not benefiting from the full extent of ghost dance because I don't have that much energy shield? Or does ghost dance Stacks go above your base energy shield?

Maybe the PoB is bricked, but according to it you only have 3943 evasion?! Can you double check? (if you really have 30k+ evasion, everything is fine)
Last edited by fezz8386 on Feb 25, 2022, 9:07:08 PM
"
fezz8386 wrote:
Maybe the PoB is bricked, but according to it you only have 3943 evasion?! Can you double check? (if you really have 30k+ evasion, everything is fine)

Did you press the Enable Grace button in the Skills tab?
"
Chace1 wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:

Did you press the Enable Grace button in the Skills tab?

Yep, it's activated. I guess PoB is just bricked.
I just want to say thank you for such an incredible guide! It really helps new players "catch up" with all the new mechanics in the game.

Now that I've essentially finished my goal of 38/40 and managed to do ALL content solo minus The Feared. I can only imagine how potent this build would of been pre nerf. I've gotten to the point where every piece is a 2-4ex+ upgrade so it's time for a new build :~)

TL;DR Can HIGHLY recommend this build to new/returning players.
"
Chace1 wrote:
I just want to say thank you for such an incredible guide! It really helps new players "catch up" with all the new mechanics in the game.

Now that I've essentially finished my goal of 38/40 and managed to do ALL content solo minus The Feared. I can only imagine how potent this build would of been pre nerf. I've gotten to the point where every piece is a 2-4ex+ upgrade so it's time for a new build :~)

Thanks, mate. I'm glad you had fun with the build and that you cleared (almost) all content. I think The Feared is possible with a super minmaxed build, but yes, there are builds that will have a way easier time with that. That being said, having completed 38/40 + all content but The Feared is pretty decent ;) Was this your very first build or did you have experience?
Last edited by fezz8386 on Feb 28, 2022, 9:33:10 AM
Hello fezz8386! First of all I want to say thank you for the amazing build. I haven't started it yet but I will and I'm sure I'll have a wonderful time playing such detailed and well-written progression path with in-depth explanations.

I am new to POE, however I managed to get to level 91 on my current character and collect some exalts and leveling gear. I have a question - does your build guide have a section 'what to buy if you play on trade' or is it purely designed for SSF? I am asking this because I want to make use of my currency and items I've collected so far. Also the reason for switching is that my current build, despite being rather expensive, does not perform well and with ~10 ex investment has only about 300k dps (StormBrand Guardian).
"
fezz8386 wrote:
"
Chace1 wrote:

Thanks, mate. I'm glad you had fun with the build and that you cleared (almost) all content. I think The Feared is possible with a super minmaxed build, but yes, there are builds that will have a way easier time with that. That being said, having completed 38/40 + all content but The Feared is pretty decent ;) Was this your very first build or did you have experience?

Previously the highest level boss I had ever killed was uber atziri. I mostly played hardcore in the past and never experienced endgame bossing just mapping. So this league was the very first time doing Shaper/Elder/Uber Elder/Sirus/Maven etc. It was actually disappointing how easily the bosses went down. I only had to retry uber elder/maven but got them down on 2nd attempt.

Overall it was an incredible journey and the boss fights are really beautiful in this game. The build being super tanky made them a lot more enjoyable.

Edit: I didn't even attempt The Feared tbh. I just got a friend to help me because it's a lengthy/expensive acquisition and I just wanted to complete the challenge and move on. The build still has PLENTY of room for growth and I can definitely see it being possible. I just don't want to invest further considering how much it's already done for me.
Last edited by Chace1 on Feb 28, 2022, 1:36:09 PM
"
cadosinio wrote:
Hello fezz8386! First of all I want to say thank you for the amazing build. I haven't started it yet but I will and I'm sure I'll have a wonderful time playing such detailed and well-written progression path with in-depth explanations.

I am new to POE, however I managed to get to level 91 on my current character and collect some exalts and leveling gear. I have a question - does your build guide have a section 'what to buy if you play on trade' or is it purely designed for SSF? I am asking this because I want to make use of my currency and items I've collected so far. Also the reason for switching is that my current build, despite being rather expensive, does not perform well and with ~10 ex investment has only about 300k dps (StormBrand Guardian).

Hey there, the guide includes direct links to the PoE Trade Website as well as detailed explanation on how to get specific items (if you don't want to buy all of them).

Since you will have some currency, I recommend buying the following items in order to progress through the campaign faster (links included):

- Tabula Rasa (Body Armour)
- Quill Rain (Bow)
- Vicatio's Flight (Boots)
- Goldrim (Helmet)
- Level 1 / Quality 20 gems for your main and secondary skill in the endgame (see guide)

Have fun leveling ;)
Last edited by fezz8386 on Mar 1, 2022, 10:22:10 AM
"
Chace1 wrote:
"
fezz8386 wrote:
"
Chace1 wrote:

Previously the highest level boss I had ever killed was uber atziri. I mostly played hardcore in the past and never experienced endgame bossing just mapping. So this league was the very first time doing Shaper/Elder/Uber Elder/Sirus/Maven etc. It was actually disappointing how easily the bosses went down. I only had to retry uber elder/maven but got them down on 2nd attempt.

Overall it was an incredible journey and the boss fights are really beautiful in this game. The build being super tanky made them a lot more enjoyable.

Edit: I didn't even attempt The Feared tbh. I just got a friend to help me because it's a lengthy/expensive acquisition and I just wanted to complete the challenge and move on. The build still has PLENTY of room for growth and I can definitely see it being possible. I just don't want to invest further considering how much it's already done for me.

Yeah, the tankiness of the build is amazing and I think for new players survivabilty is the most important thing in order to get used to the mechanics. I'm very happy that you could achieve all the listed things and I hope more players will have the same experience ;)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info