(Unsupported) Odif's Build Guides for Newbies: Wintertide-Vortex Inquisitor

Using it in the Delirium event. Works like a charm :).
Thanks!
"
Nevare87 wrote:
Thanks!

I was thinking it would be good for delerium.
Once you get Vortex, all that running away you do in Delerium would be dps, as mobs run across your vortex circles as you flee in terror :)
"
Odif wrote:
"
Nevare87 wrote:
Thanks!

I was thinking it would be good for delerium.
Once you get Vortex, all that running away you do in Delerium would be dps, as mobs run across your vortex circles as you flee in terror :)

Exactly!
Level 78 now on HC.
I wanted to thank you for the amazing guide you’ve made (Templar Inquisitor | Wintertide Brand | Vortex).
Using it, I have reached level 91 rather seamlessly. However, I wanted to ask if there was a way to possibly convert some of this build’s passives/ascendancy/gear in order to prioritize damage output instead of life/shield regen? I managed to purchase the skin of the loyal chest (6L, 5B 1W) and replica soul tether cloth belt and I currently have 4.3k life and 2.3k energy shield, but I still get regularly oneshot vs minibosses and higher enemies on maps as low as tier 11, despite using my flasks as often and skillfully as I can.I often find that I would be fine if I could only kill the target faster, and that all of this life regen isn’t helping me to stay alive if I die to one hit anyway. All of the Reddit guides I’ve found say that maximizing damage instead of life is the optimal way to beat bosses; that being said, are there any tweaks to your Templar inquisitor guide that you would make in order to accomplish that goal? I’m not rich but I do have roughly 9 exalts stashed so far (standard league, playing with my friend because it is our first time), so I am able to buy some new gear. Any advice would be appreciated.
"
Cole1097 wrote:
I wanted to thank you for the amazing guide you’ve made (Templar Inquisitor | Wintertide Brand | Vortex).
Using it, I have reached level 91 rather seamlessly. However, I wanted to ask if there was a way to possibly convert some of this build’s passives/ascendancy/gear in order to prioritize damage output instead of life/shield regen? I managed to purchase the skin of the loyal chest (6L, 5B 1W) and replica soul tether cloth belt and I currently have 4.3k life and 2.3k energy shield, but I still get regularly oneshot vs minibosses and higher enemies on maps as low as tier 11, despite using my flasks as often and skillfully as I can.I often find that I would be fine if I could only kill the target faster, and that all of this life regen isn’t helping me to stay alive if I die to one hit anyway. All of the Reddit guides I’ve found say that maximizing damage instead of life is the optimal way to beat bosses; that being said, are there any tweaks to your Templar inquisitor guide that you would make in order to accomplish that goal? I’m not rich but I do have roughly 9 exalts stashed so far (standard league, playing with my friend because it is our first time), so I am able to buy some new gear. Any advice would be appreciated.

Looking at your toon, I see your weapons have a combined 8% damage over time multiplier.

This is the easiest route to increasing your damage.
Damage over time multiplier is HUGE.

That being said, no build is perfect.

My Inquisitor Wintertide-Vortex build has a flaw, it does not scale to as much damage as other builds.

You will reach a dps wall.

It is SO amazing for quickly and easily getting thru the campaign, zooming thru white and yellow maps, and doing red maps, but.....
When it comes to end game bosses like Maven, the dps is lacking.

You can still do all the content, you just have to do a lot of manually dodging (chilled bosses make this easier), and patience.

Or...

Reroll to Occultist Wintertide-Vortex
MUCH more damage, more complicated playstyle.
Much less tanky.

Or
Reroll to something completely different.

The build has done its job, it got you, a newbie, to endgame, easily and smoothly.
Thanks for the advice; I switched to a pair of wands with cold damage over time and damage over time buffs and my damage increased immensely. I noticed that vortex skill with elemental focus was unable to do chill/freeze… is this normal? I often wondered why so many enemies just seemed to be unable to be chilled/frozen so I unequipped elemental focus and sure enough the enemies started to be affected. Is there a good reason to use elemental focus despite the drawback of not being able to chill/freeze?
"
Cole1097 wrote:
Thanks for the advice; I switched to a pair of wands with cold damage over time and damage over time buffs and my damage increased immensely. I noticed that vortex skill with elemental focus was unable to do chill/freeze… is this normal? I often wondered why so many enemies just seemed to be unable to be chilled/frozen so I unequipped elemental focus and sure enough the enemies started to be affected. Is there a good reason to use elemental focus despite the drawback of not being able to chill/freeze?

Glad your dps problems have been fixed.

As far as the chill and elemental focus...
ARRRRG!

I swear I tested this, and it worked.
Ok, back to testing again.

Seems like others have tested it also, and gotten mixed results.
I will remove it from the PoB and skill links, in any case.
Hi Odif. I’ve liked your builds in the past. They are clear, well organized, and deliver what they promise. Just finished a level 97 Holy Relic build in Scourge based on your guide.

I’ve started a Winterbrand-Vortex character following your guide. (Cold OBX) Currently at level 70. I don’t remember dieing yet with this build. Of course, I’ve been able to use good equipment.

Started with a tabula, wanderlust and lifesprig wand. Everything went easily from the start, and like you said once I got Winterbrand everything moved along.

When I got to Acts 4-5, couldn’t find vortex at the sellers so had my higher character get it for me in A 10. It made a hugh difference.

Just did a deathless white lev 9 Relic Chamber map to kill Litanius for the cannot be frozen mod to replace the Wanderlust boots. Started the map as a level 69. I did get the Replica Soul Tether. Items are cheap at the end of a league. Switching over to lifetap was a breeze.

It’s doubtful this kind of progress would be made at the start of the season. Wanderlust and Lifesprig should be relatively inexpensive. I ditched the tabula early for four sockets on armor with resists. So moving through the maps should be fast.

I did change the POB slightly to pick up some sockets for resistance jewels, prevent corrupted blood, and a watcher’s eye.

It may run out of gas at higher levels. Now it’s doing well.

This build could be a league starter for anyone.
Thanks nice guide, i will read tonight more closely
"
Hoya63 wrote:
Hi Odif. I’ve liked your builds in the past. They are clear, well organized, and deliver what they promise. Just finished a level 97 Holy Relic build in Scourge based on your guide.

I’ve started a Winterbrand-Vortex character following your guide. (Cold OBX) Currently at level 70. I don’t remember dieing yet with this build. Of course, I’ve been able to use good equipment.

Started with a tabula, wanderlust and lifesprig wand. Everything went easily from the start, and like you said once I got Winterbrand everything moved along.

When I got to Acts 4-5, couldn’t find vortex at the sellers so had my higher character get it for me in A 10. It made a hugh difference.

Just did a deathless white lev 9 Relic Chamber map to kill Litanius for the cannot be frozen mod to replace the Wanderlust boots. Started the map as a level 69. I did get the Replica Soul Tether. Items are cheap at the end of a league. Switching over to lifetap was a breeze.

It’s doubtful this kind of progress would be made at the start of the season. Wanderlust and Lifesprig should be relatively inexpensive. I ditched the tabula early for four sockets on armor with resists. So moving through the maps should be fast.

I did change the POB slightly to pick up some sockets for resistance jewels, prevent corrupted blood, and a watcher’s eye.

It may run out of gas at higher levels. Now it’s doing well.

This build could be a league starter for anyone.

In my simulated league start I had no trouble with white and low yellow maps with just rares and a 4 links. And with just a tabula, low red maps were easy.

It's a great league starter, although a bit squishy until you get the unique belt that gives lots of ES. I just manually dodged stuff till I got it.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info