this is how D3 was supposed to be like

"
permaximum wrote:
If somebody wants a simple, light-hearted game there is Diablo 3.

Try saying that when hundreds of crazy ass demons are crawling down from the walls all around you and you won't survive if you try to stand and take it. Or any of the other random events that can pose a true obstacle. Add the badass sounds and the physics engine. Trust me, it won't be simple, nor will it be light-hearted.
"
MrNick1221 wrote:
Why wouldn't they try to attract a relatively larger audience?

Because Blizzard, Microsoft and few more gaming giants will, once their flagship games come out very soon, spend billions attracting that same audience? I think most people highly underestimate what stands against GGG.
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
Actually, they will gain players, a substantial amount of players by giving casuals and hardcore players the options to play the game the way they want to play it.

Hardcore players generally go into two groups, those that want a hardcore game all to themselves, and those that do not mind sharing that game with a more casual audience. The latter is generally a much larger group. So they would only lose a very small percent of hardcore players (namely the self-righteous ones). The same could be said about self-righteous casual players who want a game that is only casual.

By accommodating both the casual and hardcore basses GGG will actually make a net gain of players.

This is only a suggestion, and that's all it should be viewed as. GGG has a plan in mind and will follow through with it. I would just hope that they listen to their potential player base, read the arguments, and decide what is best for them and their game.

There's really not much else that can be done on our part except endless debate.

Edit:

"
tormenta wrote:
"
MrNick1221 wrote:
Why wouldn't they try to attract a relatively larger audience?

Because Blizzard, Microsoft and few more gaming giants will, once their flagship games come out very soon, spend billions attracting that same audience? I think most people highly underestimate what stands against GGG.

The great thing about casual players in particular, is that they will always try new games and indeed play them casually especially if they are fun.

Because PoE doesn't have any upfront costs casuals would pick it up quickly, but drop it just as quick if it's solely hardcore content.
Happy Days Abound.
At first I have to say that I would welcome casual players too. I don't have grudge agains them. Just it wouldn't be wise to sacrifice cut-throat elements of PoE for casual players.
He who fights with monsters
might take care lest he thereby
become a monster.
"
tormenta wrote:

I still don't see how this excludes GGG from targeting the same audience. They have a very competitive plan... selling accessories to the product instead of the product itself. They just have to hope that the game is badass enough and that a lot of people DL it. They want to reach as many people as they can afford, casual gamers included.
"
permaximum wrote:
At first I have to say that I would welcome casual players too. I don't have grudge agains them. Just it wouldn't be wise to sacrifice cut-throat elements of PoE for casual players.

The problem is there is no sacrifice, there is only accommodations.

For example, giving the party leader the option to set up the way loot drops (shared or individual) and setting up how PvP works in the dungeon.

The options would enhance the game for both casual and hardcore alike, there is no sacrifice except for those hardcore that only want "hardcore games." Which as I've established is a much smaller percent of players then those that play casually or those that are hardcore and tolerate casuals.

So dismally small is this number that it could never compare to the number of casuals that would end up playing the game and staying.
Happy Days Abound.
There is no actual argument here ..

Casuals will have their league.Hardcores will have theirs.They will never see each other.If they do see each other is will be through hardcores joining casual leagues or vice versa.

More people means more money for GGG which means more patches and content for the players.

I think people are worried things might be like World of Warcraft or something where every type of gamer is mashed into one server. So hardcores have to put up with carebears.However PoE will have lots of leagues as they do not work like servers as its not an mmo.
Cheaper than free... Speedtree
I think the term hardcore players needs to be better defined here. Diablo clones are, by design, very easy to play. Anyone can beat D2 on normal mode. But if you want to own in hell, that's a different story. It takes a lot of grinding to get the best gear for the job, and comprehensive knowledge of the gear/skill systems. If someone is pwning all areas in PoE on the hardest difficulty level of the default league are they still considered a casual gamer? Probably not.

You could take it a step further and say that people who accomplish the same thing in the hardcore or cut-throat leagues are more hardcore. Fair enough. You could then take it a step further and say that people who accomplish the same thing, but did so while playing solo the whole time are even more hardcore. Or perhaps they played solo the whole time, and never used a single method to move items between their characters to achieve extra super hardcore badassness.

Anyone will be able to pick up and play this game, mastering it will be a different story. That's how most games are. Also, like a lot of people who signed up for the beta and are fans of the genre, I'm excited for both D3 and PoE.

I am a poor freezingly cold soul
So far from where
I intended to go
I'm excited for both D3 and Path of Exile as well :)

In D3 I'm looking forward to the rainbows and crafting :)

In Path of Exile I'm looking forward to the cash shop so I can buy some beautiful clothes for my character :) I love how micro-transactions open up the customisation possibilities.

I love to play as a necromancer the most, so I will have fun with D3's zombie wall and Path of Exile's raised zombies too :)
I put the romance in necromancer <3
Runescape was one of the most hardcore mmos ever before 2008 and also the 2nd biggest subscription mmo at the time after WoW. It was damn ugly and beginner-unfriendly but it also had tons of content, lots of player freedom in so far as trading, looting, pking and staking, and last but not least it had (and still has) a free2play option.

Clearly the popularity of an mmo does not stem from graphics, sounds or deeply ingrained carebear features. It stems from initial accessibility, gameplay and ultimately the amount of respect you can garner from other players.

The concept of Path of Exile, as laid out by GGG, is clearly ideal for creating a massive player base. We will just have to wait and see if the finished game does justice to the concept.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info