this is how D3 was supposed to be like

Like some who have commented I am not a loyal gamer. By this I mean I do not love and play games based on who makes them or what popular opinion is. Despite this, I'll come out and say that I am extremely excited for D3.

I understand the mindset of the POE community, and I do prefer the dark, scary, gothic feeling that D1 had. Still, I had a ton of fun playing D2, and while I loved D1 thematically, D2 was superior systemically. I see POE as the sequel to D1 that D2 should have been.

Regardless, D2 was an amazing achievement, and I really like what I'm seeing of D3. No, it isn't creepy and dark. Yes, some of the elements are childish. Yes, some of it is less complex, but if you listen to the panel discussions, they say they are very careful to reduce confusion (For the average player who isn't constantly scanning diii.net for mechanics and drop ratios.) without resorting to "dumbing down." I take them at their word for now.

I will definitely buy D3. I am not quite sure yet how POE effects this plan. Since POE is free, it is much more likely that I will play both. In years past I could probably have taken both bad boys on, but wife/children/job/house changes my scenario. I am more and more excited by POE as time passes. One thing I can say: Public enthusiasm for POE will rise significantly when graphical polish is put on everything.
Seeing as few people have actually played D3, and that those who have (myself included at Blizzcon) have only played for a few moments, I cannot see a reason to label the game in any way.

I can tell you this. D3 is not a "WoW" clone, it isn't cartoon-like at all. The game as far as I saw was violent, bloody, creepy, and most of all... fun. So, it's just like D2 but without all the potions.

Many screen shots have been posted featuring D3 in an overly saturated way, a thread about this is on the D3 forums showing side by side comparisons between blizzcon game-shots, and those posted in magazines like PCgamer. The latter have obviously been doctored.

I look forward to both games, and will play both. But the constant complaining I find online about D3 just confuses me to no end.
"the premier Action RPG for hardcore gamers."
-GGG

Happy hunting/fishing
It does seem like POE is trying to be what people were wanting in D3 but it seems more than that as they are introducing some interesting features.In reality for me I like that they are different as it will give different experience just like Dungeonsiege,Sacred and Titan quest are different experiences.

Im looking forward to D3 and POE and Im glad Im not one of these people who think graphics make a game and appreciate actual gameplay(graphics are part of a game but not like 80% of a game)as I think I get more out of a game that way.
lol thx for reminding Jack, I hope devs will make drop calc soon after game hit OB ^_^
"
Kavlor wrote:
It does seem like POE is trying to be what people were wanting in D3 but it seems more than that as they are introducing some interesting features.In reality for me I like that they are different as it will give different experience just like Dungeonsiege,Sacred and Titan quest are different experiences.

Im looking forward to D3 and POE and Im glad Im not one of these people who think graphics make a game and appreciate actual gameplay(graphics are part of a game but not like 80% of a game)as I think I get more out of a game that way.

I agree with you on your first point. That's why I say PoE seems to feel like D1 & D2, when I say feel I mean that's the vibe that PoE gives me in terms of atmosphere and so on, in a different universe of course.

However on the second point, I'm not fully agreeing with. People seem to really undersell how important sound design and art design for video games are. A game that's fun to play, has a lot of good ideas and so on, but is painful to look at and hear won't be very fun for long. That's why Diablo 1 was so great, it was fun, somewhat impressive graphics for it's time, fantastic sound design with a good soundtrack. Diablo 2 managed to do the same, but the sound design sounded a lot cleaner, and I'm not talking about sound quality, it just didn't sound as dark and gothic as Diablo 1's sounds did. Except for the bosses and cinematics, Diablo 2 did the bosses pretty good. If you don't get what I'm saying just listen to the Fallen sounds in Diablo 1 then listen to them in Diablo 2, they're similar but the fallen sounded a lot more menacing in Diablo 1. And listen to the Black, Steel, Doom and Blood Knight death sounds, those are just bloody awesome death sounds that I could easily just replace every monster death sound with and enjoy it.
"
Bloodcount wrote:
Indeed. I looked up some new(er) screenshots of DIII and the game looks like Overlord ?!!?!?! WTF It is like some comic book game now... this looks waay better.

it looks like a cartoon, same with sc2.
I don't like game changing, i mean im all for improving graphics but if by doing so the original intention of the game or the atmosphere that makes it special is changed, then i think is a bad thing.
I think Diablo 3 looks amazing. There's no question that the art style of WoW has helped it age nicely. Diablo 3 to me looks like a bit of a mix between the old Diablo and WoW. I also think people are over-exagerating the change. It doesn't look THAT much different to older diablos, expecially when you're zoomed back farther, the way the game is played anyway.

Remember when everyone complained about Zelda's cell shaded graphics? I loved it and thought it worked perfectly.

I have no doubt that Blizzard will make it work for the better and I don't care who you are or what you think of the graphics, you'll buy and enjoy Diablo 3 as well.

I look forward to Path of Exile's dark gritty look also. You can't have too many flavors of icecream, and without experimentation, we don't get innovation. Embrace change in the video game world.
"
Boge wrote:
Embrace change in the video game world.

Are you aware you might scare to death some people here? Majority, actualy.
"I am The Banisher, the ill will that snuffs the final candle." - Seal of Doom (MTG)
Grittier and bloodier thand D3.

So cooler :) Keep up the great work and release the open beta soon :)

HC ready 4 action :)
PoE & Grim Dawn, the two kingz.
Hungarian H&S fan at your service.
While I think Diablo 3 will be a good game, I'm not sure it will be a good Diablo game. I have no trouble with the way the environments look, but find the video on ign that compares the Fallen concept art to the in-game monsters. The latter ends up looking like something that should be made into a plush toy.

And let's not forget the fact that they removed stat point spending.

Having said all this, I'm still excited about D3, and am liking some of the innovations they're introducing, such as upgradeable crafters.

I guess its not so much the direction the game is going, as it is Blizzard's attitude about the whole thing. Blizzard North, along with most (if not all) of the original Diablo developers, are gone. It is arrogant and presumptuous for the WOW team to think whatever they make will be God's gift to gaming, simply because they made their billions off of that addiction mechanism. And I wasn't really fired up about this particular topic, at all, until the Blizzard forum moderator himself assisted in the bashing/insulting of a forum member who intelligently voiced concerns.

So yeah, Path of Exile should be fun.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info