Post aura rage here. I will lock any other aura thread I see.

I would say that my biggest issue with the new auras is not how they look, but the functionality of the look. Theyre clean and simple, ok, great for optimization, but poor at communication.

The new auras do not really do anything to communicate to a player what they do. For some of the older auras this was obvious, determination (big shields). Now determination is this yellow swirl around my feet. Hatred was this snowflake thingy, but the new hatred is just a blue circle. Old haste was pulsating around your feet, at least it communicated that its upping the pace sort of implying its purpose. The new haste is just a full green circle that goes round and round your feet.

I mean sure, veterans know what auras look like, but I can imagine the many many new players yet to come, they see this thing swirling around them, multiple things in party play and the first question out of their mouth "Hey, whats that thing? What does it do?"

Additionally, I would say that the new auras dont fit into the artistic style of PoE, theyre very slick, clean and I would even say a bit futuristic. Wraeclast is crude, a bit primal, a tough battered land.

No disrespect to the artist who made these, but currently I do not see a point in displaying these auras, they do not convey what they do and are so slim, sleek that they feel out of place in Wraeclast. GGG has done very well in many things, considering how small they are, but I feel that the ball was really dropped on this one.
Last edited by poepoepoepoepoe on Apr 8, 2013, 3:07:45 AM
I'd like to state my dissaproval as i relly enjoyed the look of certain auras. For example vitality was beautiful.
I suppose it's just something you'll get used to.
Since the beginning of time, man has yearned to destroy the sun.
"
Russell wrote:
Post away ;D Man there was like 8 of those things.

Quality staff you've got here GGG, real professional
"
I would say that my biggest issue with the new auras is not how they look, but the functionality of the look. Theyre clean and simple, ok, great for optimization, but poor at communication.
-snip-

When I was new to PoE, I had no idea what did the old auras do. It took me time to learn to recognize them and understand their effects. It is very unfair to judge the new auras after few hours where nobody is used to them comparing them to something you were seeing for months.
Determination was quite clear but if you were really new, would you really know by just looking at it that it gives a percentage bonus to armour? I think you would just know that it was some kind of defensive aura. Or the old Clarity, blue something doing something, nobody would guess what it really did. Old haste used to remind me a damage reflect aura. Elemental damage auras could have been elemental resistances if there were any in the game. And we could go on like this.
✠ ✠
Last edited by wiggin on Apr 8, 2013, 3:17:14 AM
Russell,

I really like your work here but I have one question about vitality; did you accidentally only make half of it, or was that on purpose to make it different from rejuvination? They didn't used to be different and my eyes want to chase the unbalanced lone strip or whatever you call it. If intended then I'm sure I'll get over it in time.

Anyway, keep up the good work.

"
TiefBlau wrote:
"
Russell wrote:
Post away ;D Man there was like 8 of those things.

Quality staff you've got here GGG, real professional

I'm glad the staff have personality, it humanizes them and without it you'd feel like you're talking to a robot. He said nothing wrong and he cares for the cleanliness of his section of forum space. If that offended you then you aren't very tolerent of others.
Last edited by Sophung on Apr 8, 2013, 3:26:02 AM
+1 graphic option

I loved the old ones, I really dislike the new ones.
I agree, the game has to be playable on most computers, but the ''low'' setting shouldn't be the only one available. Don't forget that PoE is a video game, not a word processor. Some players bought a gamer rig and would like to enjoy it.
IGN: Arcley (Bloodlines)
"
wiggin wrote:

When I was new to PoE, I had no idea what did the old auras do. It took me time to learn to recognize them and understand their effects. It is very unfair to judge the new auras after few hours where nobody is used to them comparing them to something you were seeing for months.
Determination was quite clear but if you were really new, would you really know by just looking at it that it gives a percentage bonus to armour? I think you would just know that it was some kind of defensive aura. Or the old Clarity, blue something doing something, nobody would guess what it really did. Old haste used to remind me a damage reflect aura. Elemental damage auras could have been elemental resistances if there were any in the game. And we could go on like this.

Note that I said "some" of the old auras communicated what they did. Determination, very obvious, huge shields, clearly a defensive boost of some sort. Vitality, looks like blood pulsating, not that hard to connect it to your hp filling up faster than before. Not every aura communicated well, but some of them did.

And I think youre missing my point. My point is that, some communication is better than no communication. Old determination - gigantic shields, defensive boost of some sort. New determination - two yellow swirls around my feet, this doesnt tell me anything in particular, for all I know its an indicator that my character's bladder is full and needs to use the restroom.
I personally would like to have an option to turn off the auras or to turn off some of the extra stuff while in parties, but to turn them on while I am in solo play.

I would really like to play the game with a full group, but anything more than 3 players or so lags me hard enough to make it an non-enjoyable experience.

However, that being said, I don't mind the new aura graphics at all. IF these graphics for the auras were introduced first, and the old ones introduced later, people would be bitching about how big the auras are, too busy, too messy, etc.
Slinkston's STANDARD Shop! http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/197511

IGN: Slinkston
+1 graphic option

i hate the new aura...
i wan my old aura effect...
IGN : LIFEP
We need to have the option for Aura/Skill visual effects.

The old effects were much better.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info