3.17 TOXIC RAIN CHAMPION - Fast, Tanky, Deadly! - League-Start to End-Game

OneLastStandMK4, I prefered this:

No mana flask now, less buttons to press. QoL.
Can someone help me out here...
I'm not really understanding why this build is so popular? Quite frankly, it seems absolutely horrible at bossing and the clear speed isn't anything insane.... I don't get it.

I'm 96 with some pretty good gear and I can't even MAYBE hope to kill Maven with this build. The damage is just non-existent. Way too much ramp time is required and the boss just moves every few seconds. This is true of many bosses as well, not just Maven.

I CAN deathless A9 Sirius but it takes so much longer than previous league builds I've tried for the same reason I mentioned above.

Is there some insane thing I'm missing or something? I don't understand how this build can be so popular and so dogshit at bossing.

POB: https://pastebin.com/5i7Wj1LE
I'm at 3m dps but it's pretty irrelevant when the boss just moves out of your damage over time effects every few seconds. You never have any ramp time so your damage is just garbage.
Last edited by Leiwolong1515 on Nov 26, 2021, 11:50:25 AM
This build is popular because it's quite tanky zoom-zoomy enough and has good dps. Speaking about myself - I closed almost all content except uber-breaches/wave 30 simulacrum with this build. Maybe you need to improve your gear a bit. I personally had about 11m dps and had no problems with any bosses.
"
dtx1212 wrote:
This build is popular because it's quite tanky zoom-zoomy enough and has good dps. Speaking about myself - I closed almost all content except uber-breaches/wave 30 simulacrum with this build. Maybe you need to improve your gear a bit. I personally had about 11m dps and had no problems with any bosses.

Could you take a look at that pob... I don't feel like my gear is that bad to be doing nearly 1/4th of your dmg.
"
Leiwolong1515 wrote:
"
dtx1212 wrote:

Could you take a look at that pob... I don't feel like my gear is that bad to be doing nearly 1/4th of your dmg.

This guy from the first post has even 20m dps https://pastebin.com/mQpKkJp1
Just check this pob side by side and see what you're missing. Also one note I want to add - you need to have exactly 39% increased aoe or you will lose a lot of damage. Here's an explanation of this - https://www.reddit.com/r/pathofexile/comments/qc1chz/regarding_darkees_21_radius_toxic_rain_overlap/
Last edited by dtx1212 on Nov 26, 2021, 2:09:18 PM
"
Hey guys !

Just wondering : what's the best way to deal with mana substain ?

Spec into Replenishing remedy + a flask mastery that gives 1 mana charge every 3 seconds ?

Global mana regen ?

Mana on hits nodes ?

I already have - 7 cost on my amulet, 2x ring and conquerors efficiency. It's really great while mapping because mana flask fills really quick but i'm wondering how that'll work out on Sirus. I do have some mana regen (13 ish) but once my mana flask is empty, it's a no go to freely spam TR. TR cost around 14 mana right now.

Any tips are welcome.

Thanks !
There are 2 main methods of dealing with Mana, and several ways of mitigating it until you have one of the 2.

1. Enduring mana flask. This is what I've been using personally. Yes, if a boss fight goes on too long, I can run out of charges, especially against Sirus. There are some strategies for dealing with this, I'll go into later.

2. Devouring Diadem helmet. This gives you Eldritch Battery, so your Energy Shield is used to cast spells, and it regens much faster than mana. You get to reserve all your mana for auras.

Until you have one of the above, there's a few things you can do... Repleneshing Remedies on the tree, Flask Mastery that gives life / mana charges every 3 seconds, increased mana recovery on amulet / body armour, Watcher's Eye jewel with %chance to regain mana when you use a skill - any of these - or a few of them! - will mitigate the mana challenge.

The -mana for non-channeling skills craft on rings / amulet can be boosted a bit by using catalysts as well, that will drop you another 3 points from 14 to 11.

For long fights, where you can run out of charges. You can gear dual mana flasks. You can respec the Pantheon to Ryslatha and replace your life flask with a hybrid. A Writhing Jar or Divination Distillate are actually pretty good for this purpose, but a regular magic hybrid works just as well. Or you can respec into Flask Mastery on the passive tree to regain charges over time.
Current league IGN: Teldra_Anc_LAD
Feel free to message me in game if I'm on.
"
Leiwolong1515 wrote:
Can someone help me out here...
I'm not really understanding why this build is so popular? Quite frankly, it seems absolutely horrible at bossing and the clear speed isn't anything insane.... I don't get it.

I'm 96 with some pretty good gear and I can't even MAYBE hope to kill Maven with this build. The damage is just non-existent. Way too much ramp time is required and the boss just moves every few seconds. This is true of many bosses as well, not just Maven.

I CAN deathless A9 Sirius but it takes so much longer than previous league builds I've tried for the same reason I mentioned above.

Is there some insane thing I'm missing or something? I don't understand how this build can be so popular and so dogshit at bossing.

POB: https://pastebin.com/5i7Wj1LE
I'm at 3m dps but it's pretty irrelevant when the boss just moves out of your damage over time effects every few seconds. You never have any ramp time so your damage is just garbage.

You're not at 3m DPS. Your AOE mod is 1.3 instead of 1.39, so you'll be lucky if you get 4 pods on target with each shot. 3 is more likely, so that's probably ~2m or less - and that is only if you have totems up for full 15 stacks of wither. You need another 9% AOE, normally you get this on a glove or amulet craft.

Cluster setup is underwhelming. You've skipped both Entropy and the Thread of hope for Harrier / Potency of will on the tree, you should have one or the other.

Your tank isn't optimized either, Ghost dance will recover well over 1k ES every time you're hit, but you don't have any sources of ES outside of the craft on your body armour, so you're throwing away 30% of your recovery.

No reduced mana crafts on rings / amulets / replica conq. eff jewel means you need multiple mana flasks.

You're running faster attacks instead of mirage archer. Ideally switch to Divergent MA. And Anomalous withering step. Equip an Enduring Cry, it works as a life flask at high levels.

Wither stacks are often overlooked by folks new to Chaos DOT builds. 15 wither stacks is crucial, it's responsible for over half our damage output.

You've made some significant changes to the suggested passive tree, maybe respec to something closer to the actual guide? The changes you've made are fine for leveling, but end game, I expect gearing to handle the load for stats, resists, and mana reservation.

A build like this doesn't come to dominate the leaderboards for softcore, hardcore, and SSF all at once by being crap. Tweak it properly and it will shine. Admittedly, it IS still a DOT build, you need to understand how to play it - it's not a one button to kill everything build like lightning arrow.
Current league IGN: Teldra_Anc_LAD
Feel free to message me in game if I'm on.
Awesome, thanks for the reply @Jovianyn and @grimjack68 !

Those are some really nice options, I'll be looking into that for sure.
Build is coming along, for mapping/single bossing seems okay, but man, Maven investation are way to complicated.

10 boss fights are really difficult,
I tried "The twisted", got it after 5 portals
I have still big trouble with Sirus (i'm too bad for his mecanics)

I guess i'm lacking all the big upgrades....amulet, awakened void manipulation,glove with Dot...

I've lvling an Enlighten gem, I will try add Vitality, the no-regen on this character is really an issue

PoB: https://pastebin.com/sYbE95HB
Last edited by Tarteens on Nov 27, 2021, 11:05:34 AM
Hey guys, I'm following the PoB guide and I got a lot of stuff that is there.
Survivabilty seems OK, although I haven't done the top tier content yet.

Couldn't complete Sirus A8 but I did a lot of upgrades since then and haven't tried again since.

Mapping is good, scourge is good, bossing is OK.

But I'm kinda stuck and don't know what my next step should be.
I have only around 3ex but I don't really know what to aim for now.

My DPS is way lower than the guide

Does anyone care to take a look?
https://pastebin.com/mMPWdk0r

Much appreciated! =D
Last edited by burtoncliff on Nov 27, 2021, 2:48:31 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info