Sry GGG but your game feels like a job

You are seeing the impact of something called "Saturation bias"

So GGG employees and streamers deal with the game every day, usually 8 hrs a day. That would get boring to ANYONE. To them, anything that makes it different, harder, changing, is a good thing, because they are completely saturated by PoE.

Any change that makes things hard, or more interesting for them, is a good change.

Its like how the owner of a restaurant might want to change the food every two weeks to keep it interesting. But now ask yourself, if you go there once a month, you would not want that.

So as a player who is not doing this as a job, the constant increase in challenge and overall need for change does not match this need for change.

So a streamer Mathil, who does this as a job, praises the game every time it gets harder. For him, this keeps it interesting. GGG testers feel the same way. They then have a little echo chamber between streamers and GGG to confirm the new course it better, and anyone who doesnt like it just needs to 'git gud'

For normal players, this is not always as fun. Neither is wrong, just different goals and experiences.
If you played the game for years, and are always playing up to 8 hours or more per day, I'd say you're just burned out; besides playing too much of anything can feel like a job.

I've been playing since closed beta, as a casual player; sure I've played more hours the first few years, but gradually reduced my playtime.

This league started on Friday evening, for my timezone, and now it's Sunday afternnoon. I'm only in ACT 5. no rush to get anywhere. I play for bit, then exit the game, and maybe play other games, do other activities.

TL;DR: make it so the game does not feel like a job, by not playing it like it's a job.
"
oldmunchi wrote:
well yeah it would feel like a job if you're trying to rush through all the content that is in the game in a short span of time. they purposely have bloated amount of content for fat asses that nolife the game to have things to continuously do.

"it feels like a job to get to level 100 and have all mirrored gear and delve level 10,000 etc etc"

well probably because half the shit in this game simply exists to feed neckbeards 1000s of hours of content per league. its not for you do on a Saturday night.

The problem is, if you don't rush some of it, you'll be spending a lot of time in parts that are neither fun nor rewarding. The way the game is right now, it doesn't really start until you're nearing atlas completion, and everything before that is just setup. And doing that every three months will feel like even more of a job if you do it slowly.
"
ebrl wrote:
"
oldmunchi wrote:
well yeah it would feel like a job if you're trying to rush through all the content that is in the game in a short span of time. they purposely have bloated amount of content for fat asses that nolife the game to have things to continuously do.

"it feels like a job to get to level 100 and have all mirrored gear and delve level 10,000 etc etc"

well probably because half the shit in this game simply exists to feed neckbeards 1000s of hours of content per league. its not for you do on a Saturday night.

The problem is, if you don't rush some of it, you'll be spending a lot of time in parts that are neither fun nor rewarding. The way the game is right now, it doesn't really start until you're nearing atlas completion, and everything before that is just setup. And doing that every three months will feel like even more of a job if you do it slowly.

That's definitely a "you" problem.

I'm having fun leveling through the acts and setting up my atlas every 3 months, because I enjoy progression.
Usually when everything is set up and done I quit, because there's so little progression left and I get bored.
So it's basically the exact opposite from ur playstyle.
"
Sadaukar wrote:
"
ebrl wrote:
"
oldmunchi wrote:

That's definitely a "you" problem.

I'm having fun leveling through the acts and setting up my atlas every 3 months, because I enjoy progression.
Usually when everything is set up and done I quit, because there's so little progression left and I get bored.
So it's basically the exact opposite from ur playstyle.

Fair enough, but for doing that, I think nearly every other ARPG in the market provides a better experience, since these games are actually built around the progression from level 1 to defeating a final boss/hardest difficulty, while PoE is a game almost entirely designed around an ever increasing endgame.
Last edited by ebrl on Oct 24, 2021, 9:24:13 AM
That might be, but I've yet to find another ARPG with the same deep character customization and progression like PoE. I tried Grim Dawn, but it doesn't keep me interested.
Last edited by Sadaukar on Oct 24, 2021, 9:32:03 AM
Gone from 12 to 13 challenges I see.
"
skjutengris wrote:
After 2 days I am like, this is work.
I am burned out already.

Sure, I suffer from myalgisk encefalomyelit and have a short span for anything really and the way you build the game simply goes agaisnt this a lot as builds simply require to much work.

I cant relax while I play the way you built this and the direction it has been going. Chris wilson said you should be able to but apparently he was misinformed.

I dont feel any pride in my character, it feels like working two jobs and balance a family and being underpaid in both jobs and finding your wife visiting your neighbor way to much.

Its why I cant support your work anymore.

Now I got to get my wife from the neighbor again.

So you blame the because you are unable to take it slow? What about actually enjoying the game instead of rushing it like a madman ? People like you mirroring themselves to a Japanese monorail train piss me off.
I just wanted to remain like a casual player.

My first character, it took me 1 year to finish doing it, of course, at Standard.

But this past year, I feel like GGG is trying to get the message across that they don't want me here! GGG doesn't want casual gamers. They want workers, not players. For game companies, fun-seekers are nothing but parasites that get in the way of their goals.

And, i've not to be a parasite. Im here, just for fun! Its justa a game, or not?

Well, now, im here writning this and I'm feeling like a boy, screaming for a solution for a ant without its legs.

Sad situation.

(google translate)
I kinda feel the same way, OP. I find myself quitting leagues way sooner than before (after playing the game for 4000+ hours in total). I'm getting old (36), so when I find something to be a mindless grind and not a fun game that I lose hours to, I'll simply stop playing and do something else instead.
My most hated game.
My most favorite game.
Such is the duality of man.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info