Path of Exile: Royale — Everything You Need To Know

Nice idea to let blight in play, how to lose 90% of the playerbase for this mod in less than 48h.
Interesting concept but too many issues with this mode.

Not enough monsters... there shouldn't be gem level requirements, in fact everyone should start with basic gems so its not a race to even be able to farm monsters, some people might get unlucky not being able to find any gems to level up with so they can use more gems.

Movement skills should be removed or given to everyone, built into their characters at start.

Flash should be completely reworked to be consumable potions that don't recharge from monsters and you can only have 1 HP/1 Mana (shouldn't have to use beginner pots vs people's large ones cause again what if you never find any)

This is probably the most unbalanced battle royale ever made.

Blight kills too quickly & farms too quickly, if you get placed in a good area of the map you can get lvl 10 with blight in under first minute & easily find a movement skill with all the chest too. Other areas of map you get randomly placed in might have next to nothing or other people looting all the chest around you.

This is probably the most unfun event they ever made in PoE.
Last edited by Eclaer on Jul 17, 2021, 11:56:05 AM
I'm really pleased to see PoE Royale, I didn't get a chance to play it the first time, it's good fun and I would love to see this developed into a permanent feature.
Of course, that depends largely on player interest.
I do feel that making this a fully fleshed-out royale game would appeal to a lot of gamers outside of the genre who are big fans of competitive play.

Some thoughts on this early version of PoE Royale:

COMPETITION
It seems that the player that gets a good run early in the game with mobs around them, a good skill, and fewer players around, really dominates until the end.
When playing, I've often come across large areas with no mobs, no corpses of monsters or players, and no items, just barren, also with a long trek around to find a way over a cliff.
It's a shame to be defeated from low density/ low spawn rates early on.
Another issue with one player dominating is that there doesn't seem to be a chance to lose the lead to another player.
It would be much more fun if the race was more close throughout the royale, giving several players a chance to gain/ lose the lead.

ARENA
Some things you could try are to have monsters, and as individual monsters spread out more over the map rather than mobs. For me, the whole arena should have some use and some feature in it.
This would still encourage player movement, meaning they will encounter PvP danger, but would stop one player from running off to the centre and hogging all the xp.
Since I mentioned 'hogging', a viable tactic is to hold on to good gear that you don't need to prevent players from using it.
I like this tactic, but I think at the moment it adds to the issue that one dominates and many players are left without a chance for development.

LEVELLING
You could restrict the other central zones. Players can make the most of the current circular zone that is active.
To not restrict movement and access to the arena, you could allow passing through, but no chests will open, no monsters will spawn. The area can be indicated in a certain colour.
Perhaps surviving each zone could offer 2 passives instead of levelling up the traditional way, giving players a total max and putting the focus on the build and the fights.
This offers rewards for players that survived but didn't necessarily farm as well, giving them the chance to catch up and offer competition in the next zone.
In this case, perhaps monsters of each rarity could drop 1 item of that rarity. I feel like gem xp is not relevant and skills can be enhanced through passives, equipment, and linked supports.
This is more deterministic and less of the RNG that we all know and love, but for a different royale-style version of PoE I think it's a good chance to and important to deviate a bit if needed.

ITEMS
I often had games with 10 chaos orbs and no rares or alchs to make the item rare. This was pretty frustrating, this RNG style doesn't allow for logical progression in a quick match.
For newer players, this could be particularly frustrating/ confusing. Considering this, you could try something more deterministic with drops.
In each zone, the rewards/ drops could scale in a more progressive and relevant way.
This would allow for a more linear and logical progression of equipment and play, allowing everyone to ramp up their items, gameplay, and build.
More currency drops would be cool, encouraging players to use them and try to put a build together.
I feel that the items and the build you can make from it are the fun and competitive parts of a royale.
Passive trees haven't really been a part of royals before and I have a few comments about that later.

EXAMPLE OF DETERMINISTIC MONSTER DROPS:
Normal: 1 normal item + jewellers/ fusings/ chromatics.
Magic: 1 magic item + 1 of each rarity before it + transmutations/ alterations/ augmentations.
Rare: 1 rare item + 1 of each rarity before it + regals/ scourings.
Unique: 1 unique item + 1 of each rarity before it + divines/ exalts.

Perhaps in the beginning zone mainly normal monsters can be found, and 1 unique monster per zone.
In the next zone, more magics will spawn and so forth.

ARENA FEATURES
It would be cool if each circular zone was themed within that ring rather than placed in different areas as is.
Each new zone type could spawn randomly and have a set feature such as patches of shocked ground etc. and lightning-based items found in that ring.
I think the flask shrine was a great idea but it's not as valuable/ fought over as I expected, I think it needs to be kept but a similar idea with item focus would be better.
I know there are large chests to open with goodies but usually, one player is grabbing these, hoarding these and dominating.
Putting in a unique monster to fight over in each zone adds more risk and get's more players involved in the situation as it takes time to kill.
You could alert players to the monster on the minimap. The unique monster could guarantee a unique item, and 1 of each other rarity plus valuable currency.

PASSIVES/ CHARACTERS
Although you've streamlined the tree, I feel it's still too in-depth for a quick game and I would rather focus on items and tactics.
Also, by allowing all branches to be accessed by all characters it defeats the point of having different characters.
I wouldn't mind having a very small, simple, but powerful tree for each character or a tree shared between all characters if needed.
If characters share the same tree then I would like to see a specific buff to each character giving relevance, there is a risk of creating a meta with this option though.
To give variety to builds over the passive tree, it would be interesting to see lots of support gems drop that can work with various skills.
It would be fun to see the various builds that come together in a match based on utility over raw power gems and less dependant on the base skill itself.

SKINS
It's really important that mtx doesn't interfere with the gameplay at all. I know this is disappointing to some players but it just wouldn't work for royale.
The known issues being: confusing the skills that opponents have, disguising equipt items etc.
One option is that GGG design 1 armour and weapon set for each character class in the royale game, making each one different so you can tell what character class they are,
and also for player preference/ enjoyment.
It's important that the mtx would not be flashy with effects, so skills and equipment are not misleading.
It would be cool if this royale mtx is free and automatically applied to the chosen specific character class.
When you equip the relevant item types in the royale, the items will show with the character class royale mtx.
This will make the game and characters look really cool without jeopardizing gameplay, it will also represent the character/ player progression in-game.
GGG could also offer the new royale mtx in normal PoE for points if players want to use an mtx set there.
The benefit of designing free Royale mtx is that it would work as an mtx advertisement for the standard game, it would also make Royale look
more appealing to outside players who may be interested in this version of PoE.

Much respect and appreciation!
-Knowsbleed
Blight Royale kekw
Any way to unlock the original square decoration?
Honestly the game is fun,

but there are few major issues,
aside from powerfull skills like blight and explosive arrow.

the n1, worst enemy of that mod,
is the size of the map,
it simply to small,
there are tons of people that start at the same zone,
and it happens way to frequently that you are enable to find any gear,
because it was already taken.

then when you do have gear, you cant level up because every mob was already cleared.

this can be fixed easily by making the map bigger.
like at least x3 times bigger.

maybe add some infinite camps of enemies,
that spawn regualrly, maybe note as frequently that you wont,
have "Farming" practices.

but something along those lines,
maybe cap the experience a player can get from a camp,
to be 2 times the size of the camp.

that way the only reason one would camp there is to not give other players,
a chance with is not as bad as someone leveling non-stop,
and blocking other people.

Anyway,
the map needs to get a lot, a lot bigger,
it just simply too small.
Nerf blight and its all great, really good fun :D
Explosive Arrow TOO OP
nerf please
sedantes
I played Path of Exile Royale, to implement this mode was a great idea, the mode is very fun and exciting, I really hope that this mode will become permanent and added to game core. I also hope that in the future new multiplayer modes will be added to the game, for example, something in the DotA / LoL genre, but on the mechanics of Path of Exile.

In my opinion, the main problem of the Royale mode now is that the role of random is too high in the result of each match. If a player does not receive a good farming skill gem in the first few minutes of the game, he will be very far from the more lucky players, who already rush center and take all expirience and items drop from monsters with good farming skill gems, and, becouse that monsters don't respawn, player who gon't get good farming skill on start has practically no chance of a comeback. Also, the problem is that the arena is too small for 100 players, what makes the gameplay more rush style and early fights style, when the players are still on small level and have no enough recources to effectively attack or defend. For battle royale genre, a slightly more strategic game style is more characteristic, when the player has more time and space to collect resources and prepare to action, and has more opportunities to join the battle when he sees fit, and not when circumstances force him, while at the same time maintaining opportunities for rush and rapid progression. This allows players to successfully implement many different strategies to win, what makes the gameplay deeper and more varied. PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS (PUBG) is good example for that.

What can be done to solve these problems? I suggest the following changes:

1. To make the arena much larger and the players' respawns to be separated at a much greater distance from each other.
2. Significantly increase the drop chance of skill gems and crafting resources (alchemy, binding, etc)
3. Monsters must respawn after being killed after a certain period of time. Not necessarily exactly the same monsters and exactly in the same place where they were killed, not necessary in short period of time, but they must necessarily respawn.
4. Add more skill gems to Royale - mines, vortex, brands, etc.

These changes will allow all players, regardless of the items drop in the first minutes of the game and other random circumstances, to have serious chances of winning in each match, will allow players to implement significantly more strategies for winning, which means that the gameplay will become much deeper and more varied, which will not let players get bored and will motivate players to come back to the game again and again.
Last edited by Obl1terator on Jul 18, 2021, 8:51:02 AM
Boring like nothing else the 50 years I played games
horrible

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info