[3.14] [Raider] Mahuxotl's Machination Hybrid Trapper

"
eris_is_free wrote:
Yeah. I'm really having trouble with damage. Rare monsters take forever kill.

I can't get my strength up to match my dex so there's no conflux. Tings with Tier 1 fire res + chaos res + strength are going for 1ex+.

If I get conflux will my damage shoot up? Or am I missing something else?

I die often enough in ultimatums because there's just soo many monsters because I cant clear enough and something somehow eventually gets me.

My gems are still not at 20. And I don't have awakened gems. Should I focus on that first or reaching conflux?

Thanks.

The conflux is very much the core of the build’s damage. Brittle puts you well up to crit cap for regular monsters and a ton of your penetration comes from scorch. If you’re struggling to cap resists and get your strength up just go for a normal belt instead of the Darkness Enthroned until you can afford some really GG rings.

That said, I too am finding the single target from Explosive traps to not be THAT amazing for red map bosses. I got a cheap watchers eye with just the phys as lightning mod with wrath and that’s helped a bit but the only really GG upgrades for it I can see would be a 7-link shaper/elder helmet and/or a weapon swap with a bunch of phys as ele and +2 gems.

Otherwise, the build is a solid mapper, very quick and sturdy for most Ultimatums even without Aspect of the Crab. I just often have to bring in my Bleed EQ Glad for some of the tougher bosses.
I've rolled this build on HC, reaching lvl 83 so far. I've changed it up to be an explosive trap only character. The clear speed definitely drops but it opens up gem sockets for additional utility, and allows us to drop wrath for better scaling reservations (Herald of Ash + Herald of Purity). I've CWDT'd Steelskin, added Vaal Grace to make up for missing dodge, shield charge instead of vigilant strike, and a manual cast vortex on left click for arcane surge.

Thanks to using gem slots for things like Vaal Grace, arcane surge via Vortex, and dropping a helmet psuedo-link setup. I felt as if it was comfortable to make some slight side-grade options for gear slots that aren't needed anymore. The helmet now focuses on getting the "2 additional explosions" enchant, then will be crafted with % phys taken as fire. The Atziri's Step were replaced with redeemer ailment effect boots (can also be done via veiled crafting). Finally, Arcane pyrotechnics notable on the cluster was changed. My best two cluster notables for damage are then Set and Forget (which also gives +1 radius) and Surprise Sabotage. Guerilla Tactics is a close 3rd which gives slightly lower damage but 5% movement speed.

With a proper boot enchant (10% ele pen) and leveled gems, I'll be able to reach 751k avg dmg per throw assuming focused, 14% scorch and 9% brittle based off of sirus ailment threshold, and 7.5 out of 10 explosions hitting per trap (I feel is reasonable given divergent cluster trap [40% reduced trap spread] and 24/17 radius on explosions/small explosions respectively.)

Goals for improving DPS will be incorporating more utility gems (Divergent Convocation for Unnerve instead of Vortex, Infernal Cry possibly, Divergent Purifying Flame), levels, and upgrading rares until a Darkness Enthroned is possible to fit in. After those upgrades would be double corrupting Tinkerskins for +3/+4.

Notes for others who wanna brainstorm off my variant:

Radius is very important for making Explosive Trap clear feel good. Reaching lvl 21 gives 8 explosions and +7 radius over the 7 explosions and +6 radius of lvl 20. I would not play Explosive trap only without getting lvl 21 on your gem (either via corruption or some source of +1 + lvl 20 gem). Alternate qualities are huge for improving explosive trap (Divergent Cluster Trap for single target boost, Divergent Charged Traps for clear boost). Imo, conc effect is a bad. The radius scaling in combination with the above make explosion overlapping very easy. I'm not sure how well conc eff does this, but you can get both worlds with scaling AoE. Find your last 50% conversion, I do this with winter spirit (40% phys to cold) and Divine Fury annointment (25% phys to fire)

Things to look into:
- Watcher's Eye Conversion + another stat, does it beat double herald + winter spirit setup for conversion + damage?
- Optimal cluster setup? I have 1 trap medium + 1 life small. Would have to check different setups, but most damage notables don't give more than 6% damage from what I've seen.

Edit: Someone else commented on this as well. Assassin's Mark rings doesn't work with traps.
Last edited by Kazuma180 on May 24, 2021, 2:25:55 AM
Great build mate, me and my friend after watch Badger's video and found this thread, after that both him and me try to make a copy of this build but I failed because I have too little capital, only 1 ex and it too hard to balance stat (yes I haven't read the cons and estimate cost). My damage are extremely pathetic and I quit it. My friend told me that another guy with the same idea of your create a build using Mahuxotl's + Demon Sticher on Chieftain. With the Demon Sticher sacrifice life and gain ES when using mana same idead of trap + life tap and Tinker Skin. And he convert physic (about 50%) to fire dam and a lot of amour and Endurance charge make he damn tanky.
Edit: sr for my poor grammar
still sane exile ? Nope
Last edited by kurofafi on May 24, 2021, 3:36:50 AM
Nice build. I'm tring to see if changing a few things to get a bit more dps without dropping any defenses.

Seeing that elemental hits are well covered i wanted to focus on getting physical damage taken in a better spot. I'm trying to swap out crab barrier and use arctic armour + soul of lunaris + soul of tukohama + nature's patience. I found i was mostly getting hit when i was throwing traps and I tend to stand still. this clears up the aspect on the weapon and lets you get another damage mod. Nature's patience helps get double damage % up to a better standing and giving you less damage taken. I also wanted to make sure Ailments where applying better so i adding a large cluster(elemental) to grab disorienting disply to apply blind and inspired oppression. i kept your medium jewel and added another for ailments, grabbing again oppression and astonishing affliction. I also wanted to avoid Constitution and take Ash,Frost, and Storm for more damage and ailment.

I ended up with about 800 less Hp but kept the same if not more effective health pool for physical (226k) while boosting Ailment by 100% increase. making sure i didnt have to rely on focus spikes.
"As you are now, I once was.
As I am now, so shall you be.
So be prepare to follow me..."
Hi, im doing a build like this.. just want to know how to avoid stun? or is our dmg taken ratio so high we hardly get stunned?
Hi, i want to use ice trap for my main set up , what should i link sicne i dont know if the arc ones match it. plus is the explosive trap as second tra pfor boss damage ? if so could i make it main and ice trap second? if so what links are best for doing this?
Quick reply for all the people who messaged me over the last days:

I am glad so many of you like this build and want to try it out, it humbles me in some way since I never expected so much feedback - thank you all for your kind words!

- the build is not beginner friendly and only scales into endgame with investment (which was stated previously); do not expect building something like you saw in the video with only 1-2ex investment. You can do content up to tier 13 / tier 14 maps just fine and farm up from there with the recommended 250C investment to start out; don't expect face rolling content without proper investment of around 15ex+

- Balancing stats and maxing resists, stacking evasion is crucial, otherwise the core features of the build don't work at all and you will get one-shot; only if everything comes together you can tank even Shaper balls like they were nothing like in the video

- I like to see people trying different variations and weaving in their own ideas; keep it up guys, such comments are really helpful for others.

- Since the stun question came up; with such high mitigation you will get stunned very rarely. If it happens your stun recovery is fine (0.2 seconds for me which is good enough), since you will evade/dodge/block in that time frame almost guaranteed if you get hit again, you also have natural 50% chance to avoid stun from having energy shield - I never had issues with stun. If you want, you can stack enough stun avoidance to get to 100% on jewels with harvest enchants, you have enough slots for that.

- About the Ice Trap question: I recommend looking up an Icetrap guide and just copy the links from there, swap Wrath for Hatred and you are good. Another option would just using my PoB link, deleting the Arc 6l setup and then replacing it with Ice Trap and Cluster Traps. After that, take what PoB recommends you for the last 4 gem slots and you are good (most likely: Cluster Trap - Hypothermia - Trap and Mine Damage - Awakened Added Cold - Awakened Cold Penetration; if you have enough crit you can also go for awakened controlled destruction instead of Hypothermia later) - for every other gem setup question: please just use PoB (PoB does the job perfectly, you don't need my input)

- About gearing or affix questions: do not try replacing the double damage mod, it is a core interaction you need for ailment ramping on this build, you need it. For other affixes, just check your PoB and mess around and do what suits you best.

- If you guys want to see maping content with this build I recommend watching some of Badgers Stream vods (https://www.twitch.tv/thisisbadger) when he was recreating the build. He has some great maping footage of the build in action

Thank you guys again for all your replies! Sry for not being that active currently (due to IRL stuff), I try to answer when I can. Thanks to all people here trying to help other players with their questions. Hope you have fun!

If there is another build completions next league I probably will make an entry again with another "unconventional" build with some underutilized items and interactions since there is clearly some interest and demand I feel.

Just wanted to make a quick shoutout to community member "Neato": https://www.youtube.com/c/ThatsRealNeato/videos. He likes to show off some cool interactions from time to time in his videos, highly recommend.

Have a great day guys!
Awesome build. I got all the BIS items but not with your insane corruptions tho :/ Anywho, I have a few noobish questions that I would like to ask you if you would be willing.

1. I feel like I would really like to play this with mines instead of traps, like icicle mine that I would put in my helmet with +20 trap/mine damage and +20 hypothermia. Then I could have chain support in there for clear and switch that out with something else thats better for single target for bosses. Do you think that it might work?

2. If I do the above then I will have 6 sockets in my armor that I can use for something else. Do you have any advice on what I could put there? Or do you think it would be better to link it in my armor and go for a better helm since the options for finding a good helm on trade really opens up if I remove the supported by hypothermia and trap/mine damage requirements. Right now its slim pickings to find a helm with those and life/resistance. I mean I could really spice it up and go for a summoner helm and get some good support spectres and a golem for the buffs with minion life support and meatshield for to keep them alive.

3. I was stupid enough to pay 10ex for a scepter with +lightning skills and +spell skills but no room to craft a aspect on it. Can you please advice on how to tradesearch for a weapon and make sure that it has room for a aspect craft?

Thank you!!!
1. Brother you gotta read the mechanics...the whole point is about playing traps with tinkerskin to get ES recovery for sacrifice.

"
schalander wrote:
Awesome build. I got all the BIS items but not with your insane corruptions tho :/ Anywho, I have a few noobish questions that I would like to ask you if you would be willing.

1. I feel like I would really like to play this with mines instead of traps, like icicle mine that I would put in my helmet with +20 trap/mine damage and +20 hypothermia. Then I could have chain support in there for clear and switch that out with something else thats better for single target for bosses. Do you think that it might work?

2. If I do the above then I will have 6 sockets in my armor that I can use for something else. Do you have any advice on what I could put there? Or do you think it would be better to link it in my armor and go for a better helm since the options for finding a good helm on trade really opens up if I remove the supported by hypothermia and trap/mine damage requirements. Right now its slim pickings to find a helm with those and life/resistance. I mean I could really spice it up and go for a summoner helm and get some good support spectres and a golem for the buffs with minion life support and meatshield for to keep them alive.

3. I was stupid enough to pay 10ex for a scepter with +lightning skills and +spell skills but no room to craft a aspect on it. Can you please advice on how to tradesearch for a weapon and make sure that it has room for a aspect craft?

Thank you!!!

"
Heavenlyspark wrote:
Hi, i want to use ice trap for my main set up , what should i link sicne i dont know if the arc ones match it. plus is the explosive trap as second tra pfor boss damage ? if so could i make it main and ice trap second? if so what links are best for doing this?

Hello fellow exile, I'm also reaching the point that arc traps seems a little weak for clearing. Please update us when you got your ice trap running.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info