Ultimatum Launch: Server Issues and Streamer Priority

"
Mst3kfan wrote:
"
Emfx wrote:
Thanks for taking the time to write this up, I'm sure you guys have been busier than ever.

The biggest issue I had with queue bypass was: why were the streamer's friends, who either do not stream or have insignificant influence on marketing, also able to bypass the queue, such as Empyrian's group, ZiggyD's girlfriend, etc.?

Also, reset the league.

Edited to add now that some replies have come in:

The overwhelming majority of replies both here (easily 90%+) and on the subreddit are calling for a complete rollback and reset of the league when the fix is implemented.

You say you strive for a fair and level playing field on new leagues? Then put your money where your mouth is instead of empty words, and provide that to your players.

Oh, and look into the duped currency. Some dude is allegedly linking stacks of Exalted Orbs in chat on Ultimatum already.

A lot of crying over nothing really.

Whether they were being paid or not the streamers are a huge amount of free publicity, and advertising. Their being able to play while most of us couldn't is by no means going to break the League or the Economy. They are a very very small percentage of the entire player base.

If you are that butt hurt over it it is easy enough. Go ahead hit Alt + F4 and either go read a book or play something else.

Screw that I Better RNG to.
The queuing issue was insane but I slept on it instead of ranting. Woke up the next day and it wasnt so bad anymore... :)
And this is why I never, ever play on launch day. I haven't even played the league yet, too busy with Mass Effect: Andromeda. With luck, by the time I finish that the first few rounds of fixing the league will be over.
Support a free Hong Kong.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with
sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.
-Galileo Galilei
"
Plaguetongue wrote:
I'm a full-stack software developer for 20 years. Implementing streamers RNG, it's 2 lines of extra code, to check a player's id in a memory cache, and set a chance multiplier to every drops calculation.

I personally think that not just streamers' RNG exists, but some more other tweaks in GGG's source code. The world is so corrupted.

Dear players, please don't be naive, especially after this incident, and Chris's confession.

Exactly. When Ziz confirm, in his reaction on streamer priority, they have unique game launcher!
So there exist macros, now unique launcher created form GGG?! just for someone? Why omfg?
This rly stink ...
"
JuldaFulda wrote:
"
Plaguetongue wrote:
I'm a full-stack software developer for 20 years. Implementing streamers RNG, it's 2 lines of extra code, to check a player's id in a memory cache, and set a chance multiplier to every drops calculation.

I personally think that not just streamers' RNG exists, but some more other tweaks in GGG's source code. The world is so corrupted.

Dear players, please don't be naive, especially after this incident, and Chris's confession.

Exactly. When Ziz confirm, in his reaction on streamer priority, they have unique game launcher!
So there exist macros, now unique launcher created form GGG?! just for someone? Why omfg?
This rly stink ...

Yep, and it's totally obvious, too. Which is why Empy and the other streamers never RMT their ill-gotten gains, because there is most likely a water-mark associated with the items in question. If they ever attempted to sell them, via RMT, they would be immediately found out. This stinks to high hell, and people need to wake up.
"
Sinaranu wrote:
“Server issues” on this scale -- avoidable but can / does happen. With the passage of time we play the game and it's less of a big deal.

The way GGG handled "streamer priority" is, in my view, entirely different.

A spur-of-the-moment bad GGG decision? Yes, but why? What’s the root cause?

Why did some streamers, almost immediately, say “this is not right, take me off the priority list” while others chose to be complicit -- and in one case at least, put down viewers who took exception?

Root cause in both cases is, I think, the same:
GGG, and the particular streamers at fault, lost sight of what’s really, really important -- (a) doing the right thing (b) putting the customer, the community, the viewer first.

The streamers who said (early, not six hours later) “this isn’t right, take me off the list” have my respect – doing the right thing was, in that moment, more important than anything else.

And in this precise context, where is GGG?

Did no one at GGG think of putting the community and the customer first? Why didn’t anyone say “stop, this isn't right”?

If in fact someone at GGG did say “hey we shouldn't do this ” and GGG proceeded to do the streamer priority thing, then in a sense that’s some encouragement -- it would mean that someone actually thought of putting the community first, someone actually did think "hang on, is this the right thing to do?". It would be much more concerning if no one saw the situation with values that placed the community and the everyday, ordinary customer first.

Heat of the moment and “literally setting a big pile of money on fire”?? GGG just had a year of distributing cash dividends of NZD $102.9m (USD $73.5m @ 0.71) * to shareholders.

Cash derived from the community, from customers, from everyday people who play and support the game. It came from the very people GGG failed to put first.

"Streamer priority" is a bad enough as it is, but selective steamer priority takes the hypocrisy of "fresh economy!" and "level playing field!" to another level.

In this case, your actions really did speak much louder than your words. Not the GGG I once admired.

* Source:
Grinding Gear Games Limited Annual report for the year ended 30 September 2020
Page 8, Statement of cash flows

THIS!
THE DEEP SMELL OF YOU.. DANGEROUSLY MATCHES THE PERFUME INSIDE OF ME..
IT MUST BE MY HEART YOU ARE AFTER..
IT MUST BE MY LUNGS YOU ARE BREATHING FROM..
WE ARE NOT THE WINNERS OR THE LOSERS..
OH BABY WE ARE THE FIGHT ! ! !
What I'm most disappointed with is the fact that GGG did not reset the league. They admit that they gave some people and their friends an unfair advantage in the early-league economy, and GGG is very sorry, but they're not going to do anything about it right now (you know, when it matters). GGG also knows about the duping issue but haven't said what they plan to do about that. If GGG is okay with the league proceeding as-is then I'm content to sit it out. The cheaters can have it all to themselves for all I care.
The matter of streamer prioritisation is simply a terrible mistake.
An apology supported with a clean reset of the league would sort it out. But it seems there is no reset.

Disappointing to say the least. See you at the next league!
"
Sinaranu wrote:

Did no one at GGG think of putting the community and the customer first? Why didn’t anyone say “stop, this isn't right”?

If in fact someone at GGG did say “hey we shouldn't do this ” and GGG proceeded to do the streamer priority thing, then in a sense that’s some encouragement -- it would mean that someone actually thought of putting the community first, someone actually did think "hang on, is this the right thing to do?". It would be much more concerning if no one saw the situation with values that placed the community and the everyday, ordinary customer first.

Somehow, the "close your eyes and slam it" vision of GGG seemed to have taken a new meaning here.
It would have been ok if they allow a specific group of streamers to get priority and play on while they fix the issue, with the condition that those accounts/loots will be reset.
I mean, if that particular streamer and his goons knew there will be a reset , would they still have played on to entertain the viewers?

For a few years now, while playing Path of Exile, I've noticed more and more frequent problems with performance in the game, notorious drop in the number of frames or frequent disconnections during a boss fight. I've never supported the P2W model hence playing POE.
Back to the leagues. I think streamers and influencers that they are completely unnecessary, they are not any kind of benchmarks, except for kids.

So much from me.

Regards.

Liberate tute me ex infernis
Last edited by Skyplexpl on Apr 20, 2021, 3:56:35 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info