[3.16] g00fy_goober's Toxic Rain Occultist (Easily clear all content)

Heya Goofy. I just played shortly in the last league with a burning arrow build (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3046589/page/1) and I only managed to T10 maps so far, but it really melted everything in a way I haven't experienced since way back then when barrage/coc-wander was top notch, especially that feeling when you clear areas you haven't visited yet. Several times I entered the boss location and the boss was already dead due to the DOT-damage. I must say it was really enjoyable to see bosses just _melt_.

I was planning to make the same build again, but now I started to hesitate. I have played one of your builds before and it was awesome. How do you feel your build are in clearspeed and overall compared to that burning arrow one?

I watched your video but couldn't see if you were able to get offscreen kills or not.
Still playing with this in PoB. I am a scrub and die alot, and the defenses on this for me are an issue, but it seems like you can still do silly damage with some solid defenses. PLaying with the tree you can get close to 4k life, 1500ish ES, ES Leach/on hit and still hit 70-80M dps (With overlapping pods on bosses).

Could even take Vile Bastion at that point if you have explody chest, and be stun immune during mapping.

Sorry for posting a lot, just bored until league.
Last edited by Tainted_Turkey on Apr 12, 2021, 7:18:50 AM
"
boondoxsaints wrote:
Heya Goofy. I just played shortly in the last league with a burning arrow build (https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/3046589/page/1) and I only managed to T10 maps so far, but it really melted everything in a way I haven't experienced since way back then when barrage/coc-wander was top notch, especially that feeling when you clear areas you haven't visited yet. Several times I entered the boss location and the boss was already dead due to the DOT-damage. I must say it was really enjoyable to see bosses just _melt_.

I was planning to make the same build again, but now I started to hesitate. I have played one of your builds before and it was awesome. How do you feel your build are in clearspeed and overall compared to that burning arrow one?

I watched your video but couldn't see if you were able to get offscreen kills or not.

I don't have a clue. I know nothing about the burning arrow build or your experience with it. How could I possibly compare two completely different builds period... let alone comparing two in which one I never played and know nothing about?

"
Still playing with this in PoB. I am a scrub and die alot, and the defenses on this for me are an issue, but it seems like you can still do silly damage with some solid defenses. PLaying with the tree you can get close to 4k life, 1500ish ES, ES Leach/on hit and still hit 70-80M dps (With overlapping pods on bosses).

Could even take Vile Bastion at that point if you have explody chest, and be stun immune during mapping.

Sorry for posting a lot, just bored until league.

So normally I do the same tbh. When I see builds with like 4k life they make me roll my eyes and shake my head, and I always try to go for like 5.5k life or higher. TBH unless you get a couple thousand more hp or higher life does not change defensive capabilities by all that much. It is much better to get reductions, max res, evasion, fortify, life on hit, block, dodge etc etc.

The dwindling life pool on TR always kind of bothered me as most players you check out on POB always had like 3.5k to 4.2k life or something. However I can tell you as a ranged build that is always moving, always has regen from essence drain going off, flasks, and lots of other layers of defense it is really not a huge issue.

I took vile bastion for awhile and it was pretty worthless IMO. ES leech doesn't do much as most of our damage is dots and most has to come from hits. Even es on hit is not huge as everything dies in one cast. So you are not repeatedly hitting/attacking.

I would not worry about it a huge amount and then if you seem overly squish or want to change things I would just pick up a bit more life and such at the cost of other damage stuff. We already have a lot of defensive layers, so more hp would help.
I think the issue now, is not going to be the damage, even with the announced TR nerf, the jewel cluster nerf, and nerfs to harvest, especially on Occy.

I was going to play the build as you listed and work in Flesh and Stone Sand Stance for the defense, but that is going to be hard now after they change Flesh and Stone from 25% to 35% reservation.

I am not too worried about the announced nerfs. They look worse for Trickster/PF/Raider. Occy already had silly damage, it will just be harder to overlap pods now. Perhaps attack speed will be worth more now?
Last edited by Tainted_Turkey on Apr 13, 2021, 8:15:56 AM
"
I think the issue now, is not going to be the damage, even with the announced TR nerf, the jewel cluster nerf, and nerfs to harvest, especially on Occy.

I was going to play the build as you listed and work in Flesh and Stone Sand Stance for the defense, but that is going to be hard now after they change Flesh and Stone from 25% to 35% reservation.

I am not too worried about the announced nerfs. They look worse for Trickster/PF/Raider. Occy already had silly damage, it will just be harder to overlap pods now. Perhaps attack speed will be worth more now?

Attack speed is always one of the best things to get which is why it is on all our jewels, and the tree. I mean flesh and stone I understand why it was changed and you might still be able to push it will have to see. Obviously patch notes will tell us more but I'm not too worried. TR was the most ridiculous build i have ever played. Could literally put out, TR does 50% less dmg and I would not be very worried, it is extremely OP especially with Occultist. Too bad so many suckers still go for the old nerfed cookie cutter trickster and flaskfinder ^^.
I played PF last league (ritual) and it was nutty, I hope this version of the build is viable, then I will definately consider this for sure, because PF is absolutely dead.

I love occultist a lot.

EDIT:

"
The spread range of spore pods from Toxic Rain is now affected by Area of Effect modifiers. This means that having higher Area of Effect causes the resulting spore pods to spread out more. The base spread range of the spore pods has also been slightly lowered.

Looks like they've just deleted TR. What a shame. They don't even understand their own game man.
Last edited by idkwat on Apr 13, 2021, 7:35:41 PM
"
idkwat wrote:
I played PF last league (ritual) and it was nutty, I hope this version of the build is viable, then I will definately consider this for sure, because PF is absolutely dead.

I love occultist a lot.

EDIT:

"
The spread range of spore pods from Toxic Rain is now affected by Area of Effect modifiers. This means that having higher Area of Effect causes the resulting spore pods to spread out more. The base spread range of the spore pods has also been slightly lowered.

Looks like they've just deleted TR. What a shame. They don't even understand their own game man.

PF had superior movespeed and that was about it IMO. Flask stuff was okay for sure but when you phase sirus or maven or w/e fight in 2 seconds flat, don't really need flask uptime =).

Having 200% movespeed instead of 160% honestly doesn't make much of a difference either IMO.

Out of curiosity why is PF dead now? Only change I saw is it now removed corrupted blood on flask use not bleed and that hardly kills it.

As for TR.... the change won't even touch it lol. I have no idea what you are thinking or why you think it is deleted lmao.

I mean in general you stacked very little AOE anyway because there was so many other mods you wanted. Unless you did the much crappier version with everything max attack speed to stack spore pods on the ground then this probably effects it more. If anything they said the base spread range of the spore pods has been slightly lowered meaning it is a little bit of a buff.

Only thing this actually changes is that carcass jack is probably not the best way to go for 90% of the game now to carry you through all the way through red tier maps.
"
g00fy_goober wrote:
"
idkwat wrote:

I love occultist a lot.

EDIT:

"

PF had superior movespeed and that was about it IMO. Flask stuff was okay for sure but when you phase sirus or maven or w/e fight in 2 seconds flat, don't really need flask uptime =).

Having 200% movespeed instead of 160% honestly doesn't make much of a difference either IMO.

Out of curiosity why is PF dead now? Only change I saw is it now removed corrupted blood on flask use not bleed and that hardly kills it.

As for TR.... the change won't even touch it lol. I have no idea what you are thinking or why you think it is deleted lmao.

I mean in general you stacked very little AOE anyway because there was so many other mods you wanted. Unless you did the much crappier version with everything max attack speed to stack spore pods on the ground then this probably effects it more. If anything they said the base spread range of the spore pods has been slightly lowered meaning it is a little bit of a buff.

Only thing this actually changes is that carcass jack is probably not the best way to go for 90% of the game now to carry you through all the way through red tier maps.

[Edit] Ignore me. I am dumb.

The PF nerf was Hardened Scars. You used to be able to get Fortify as long as you had an active flask. Which means, Pathfinder basically had perma fortify. Now you can only get fortify if you are Recovering Life with a Flask. Most people went PF for the Hardened Scars.

Further, if the build could already hit 100M dps with end game gear, and they nerfed it 50% overall, thats still 50M dps, and still absurd. I think it will be fine, but there is no reason now to consider pathfinder.
Last edited by Tainted_Turkey on Apr 14, 2021, 3:30:54 PM
"

Previously, AoE made the pods AoE larger, it did not spread the pods out. So you could stack 5-6 pods, making your damage absurd for single target. Now, any AoE makes the pods themselves spread out. Meaning it is now harder to stack 5/6 pods Area on top of each other. So it is a nerf to single target.

Obviously I just played the build so IK how aoe works. But would like to point out 2 things here.

- First, we don't really go any aoe on the build, like literally at all. We have the inc aoe from dying sun, the explody hybrid mod (which you would now just not go even if it still exists with new explody mod)

- Second, the change states that the base spread range of the pods has been slightly lowered. This is not the aoe of the pods, but the aoe of the spread, meaning they are SLIGHTLY closer together now meaning this is SLIGHTLY a buff.

So now going for a lower roll on dying sun + not getting hybrid mod on explody chest + not using carcass jack means we are actually the same or buffed a little tbh.

"

How large of a damage reduction this is? Not really sure, but like you said, you probably do not want to use Carcass Jack unless you want clear speed over single target. Probably also want to change the Clusters from Wicked Pal maybe if you want single target, as any AoE increase will lower your single target since the pods will land further apart, lessing the ability to overlap. Wicked Pal Aoe was nerfed from 10% to 5% tho, but stacking them is a ton of AoE increase, aka less Single target. Probably switch it to Chaos Clusters or something? Dunno, PoB is not updated yet.

Wicked Pall gives skill effect duration not aoe, while it was nerfed from 35/10 to 30/5 it will still be the best notable there is and has nothing to do with aoe.

"

The PF nerf was Hardened Scars. You used to be able to get Fortify as long as you had an active flask. Which means, Pathfinder basically had perma fortify. Now you can only get fortify if you are Recovering Life with a Flask. Most people went PF for the Hardened Scars.

This is pretty silly IMO. While fortify and hardened scars was awesome and I can see that benefitting a ton on flaskfinders with the 100% uptime and infinite charges and such... Having fortify on insane toxic rain honestly does very little. To give up all that power for occultist just to get fortify seems a bit crazy to me. I am a huge fan of fortify for so many builds, but a ranged, constantly moving character like a TR build/player will not benefit very much from fortify.

Anyway again that being said i don't see why anyone since last league would go trickster or pathfinder, they seem like a giant noob trap. Which is why I decided to put the guide up on probably the best build I have ever played =)
"
g00fy_goober wrote:

Wicked Pall gives skill effect duration not aoe, while it was nerfed from 35/10 to 30/5 it will still be the best notable there is and has nothing to do with aoe.

Holy shit, your right, Im dumb lmao. I was thinking the SED was AoE for some reason. /facepalm
Last edited by Tainted_Turkey on Apr 14, 2021, 3:28:01 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info