Bear Trap

"
pneuma wrote:
Just your everyday Pain Attunement with 2x Redbeaks and some crit.

That's Bear Trap + Add Chaos + Add Lightning + Add Fire (as you can tell from the colored letters on the icon).

Redbeaks will work with it, bt as pain attunement boosts spell damage only and bear trap deals it's damage as secondary damage (like infernal blow and detonate dead) unspecific spell damage does not affect it. That being said, i tried to do that build but then I lost my redbeaks to brutus while training with low hp. :D. Still, i'm pretty impressed.
I confirmed that I am still in HC league. Then I died.
Wow o_o

What kind of passives are you running that buffed that damage so high?!

Also, do spell critical nodes affect it?
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
"
Wow o_o

What kind of passives are you running that buffed that damage so high?!

Arcane Potency cluster.
Inner Force cluster (with Hatred aura).
Witch's starting spelldamage and crit chance.
Doomcast.
Bloodthirst cluster.

I have a fair amount of cast speed that artificially inflates the dps. Sad to hear Pain Attunement doesn't work with Bear Trap.

"
Also, do spell critical nodes affect it?

Yes. It is a spell and it can crit.
Sounds really cool; I'd always written the spell off as a utility spell! Does cast speed lower the cooldown on it?
Former player moderator, valued poster, and early-adopter responsible for The Blood Dance.

GGG has forgotten where they came from. As a result, I no longer support the deceitful, corporate Tencent slave sellouts running this game.
How is Mana-leech considered to work with Beartrap ?

The icon shows it should, but from testing it, it seems to not regenerate Mana towards the Character.
I guess the Trap gains the Mana.
Doesn´t matter much anyway because the Manacosts stay the same with/without suppgem.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcKqhDFhNHI
"
I guess the Trap gains the Mana.

Sounds about right. A trap is a 1hp, untargetable (but weak to aoe), allied monster that casts your spell upon use and then dies.

This cuts life/mana leech out of the picture, but likewise, you don't lose life/es when you bear trap a reflect physical boss.
this skill looks cool!
So far my experience with the the traps in general have been limited. After using it a few times, I became disinterested in it because I was forced to stop to cast it, or forced to place them on the ground someplace and then attempt to kite a boss through it.

While I am ok with the idea of placing a tap someplace prior to an engagement, I am quite forced to only be able to use it effectively in that type of situation.

Something I would like to see for Bear Trap specifically is to have the ability to cast it while moving.

I like the fact that it snares a target, but the caster should not have to feel bound to running like hell just to get enough space to drop it because it inherently feels like a skill that is meant to be used to slow a target to make space for other abilities to be used. i could be wrong but that's how I instinctively want to use it, especially after combat he began.

As for fire trap, I can drop those after I get a solid snare on my main target.

Maybe the answer to this would be a support gem to allow casting while moving at the expense of something else, like a mana multiplier of some sort. Even though I use bear trap as a utility skill anyways because that's what it feels like it is.
Last edited by Specho on Aug 16, 2012, 11:23:14 AM
Currently, the trap leeches the mana (or life). We may change this in future, it's not fully decided yet (at least so far as I've heard).
Is iron will not affecting this skill intended?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info