0.9.9 Patch Notes

"
Ooh, new skill tree is up.

I kind of like that there isn't a lot of support for traps and totems on the tree. It feels like (though haven't tried them yet, of course) that they can be easily splashed into a build without too much investment and still be effective. Plus half of the supports for each are in the middle so they're relatively easy to access (the other half being in the dead centre of Dex/Int land, the other being around where AoF used to be.)
I do find it a little odd that there's no support for remote mines at all when there is a bit for the others but eh.
Mines use the trap stats where applicable - they're considered a sort of 'subclass' of traps
Ahhhhhhh. And now I know.
"
Finnien wrote:
Is there any possibility of a mechanic/alternative that allows for a concrete investment, a progression, a trading of 200 fusing orbs for an object that adds a link? I don't object to the time investment, merely the very real possibility of constant disappointment, wasted resources, and an end result worse than what one began with.

How about this compromise: if a Fusing Orb rolls less links than current, then it stays unmodified at the current amount? It would remain just as difficult to hit 5 and just as exceedingly difficult to hit 6, but would remove the "my best chestpiece just got strictly worse" effect.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Last edited by unsane on May 8, 2012, 11:59:43 PM
It isn't a bad idea and would go a way to solving some of the issues some people have. Same with Jeweller's orbs, I guess.
Perhaps a vendor recipe with a Fusing or Jeweller, a Scouring, and the item of choice could then be used to remove links or sockets from the item, much the same way that Scourings and skill gems can be used to lower the level of the skill gem. Of course, this only becomes necessary if such a change is implemented, because if you can't de-socket or de-link (not sure why you would, but eh) with the items then there is problem.
Rearranging where those links are on the item would still be totally legitimate though - if you've got a 6-socket with a 4/2 link, and the 4 is RRGG and the 2 is GG, that could switch to become RR and GGGG. Or something like that.
If you did do that, there'd also be the issue of priority and what has more importance. With Jeweller's it's easy (6>5>4>3>2>1), with Fusings... eh, it's probably still easy (6>5/1>4/2>4/1/1>3/3>3/2/1>3/1/1/1>2/2/2>2/2/1/1>2/1/1/1/1>no links). Alternatively, screw the secondary links and only the biggest link is kept, with everything else being rerolled.

The odds of getting a 6-link are 1/300 per fusing, right?
So... I just played a brand-new Marauder up to the Rocky Climb Waypoint.

I am reminded of Diablo 3's endgame promise: "You will die."

PoE now offers much the same promise, except that it might read, "You will die, and it won't take long."

Gotta lotta gear-shifting to do, now. Not sure how easy it's gonna be to adapt; I seriously miss the sense of being "powerful." Not "ragdoll smash mobs to the moon" powerful, but more, "I'm a badass" powerful.

Part of the issue, I think, was an equipment deficit in the early levels. I didn't even find a two-handed weapon until about 5th level, even though Tarkleigh gave me a Sweep gem a couple levels earlier.

The difficulty ramped up quite a bit after entering the Mud Flats; kiting Oozeback was no fun, and I had gotten a regen passive! I managed the encounter, and didn't die until the Fetid Pool. That was due to a stupid mistake fighting the Necro's summonses; I was so busy trying to get to him that I didn't notice my Life pool dropping. The fact that Rhoa Carcases hit like Mack trucks didn't help; they are my new least favorite monster in the game! ...For now...

Made it all the way to the Ledge, then died twice more. Once to archers sniping me in a crowd scene(reminiscent of the old days before ranged attackers were nerfed), and once to Kuduku.

Yeah, you could simply avoid him, but I live by a scorched-earth policy. Still, he ain't my friend, that's for sure!

The first half of Rocky Climb wasn't too bad, except that the Goatman Shamans seem to group up a lot. Might be my bad luck; might be by design. All I know is, I was spamming flasks like never before.

I'm already calculating how other characters are gonna fare; fortunately for my other chars, they will have the benefit of significant twinking.

I'll be interested to see how everyone else deals with the bloody nose this patch gives. It's a challenge! =0[.]o=

ETA:

I really liked the new graphical changes; the character portraits in the log-in screen were an unexpected bonus! =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
Last edited by Raycheetah on May 8, 2012, 11:59:29 PM
Now that i've finished reading all 35 pages, the thought occurs: why did i do it? What did i gain? Very little. :P Note to self, in future, avoid 30 page threads - they are the devil.
SC: 95 97 93 96 100 93 94 93 94 95 96 97 94 93 94
HC RIP: 94 96
Character archive: view-thread/963707
Thanks for the mobs at level 9-10 that will freeze-lock you with glacial hammer. Yes, stun-locked and killed is sooo awesome. Please pat your self on the back for this "ingenious and innovative" difficulty approach. Bunch of freaking garbage so far.

Also, a Large Chest with ZERO magic items.....bravo!
I made a new Duelist, and I'm not having too much trouble with the new dificulty. No deaths so far at the Ledge. I've found about half a dozen rares and 25+ magic items, so the loot seems fine. I've gotten more than a couple rare orbs, too

Seems like a good patch.
"
IrishKigoi wrote:
Thanks for the mobs at level 9-10 that will freeze-lock you with glacial hammer. Yes, stun-locked and killed is sooo awesome. Please pat your self on the back for this "ingenious and innovative" difficulty approach. Bunch of freaking garbage so far.

Also, a Large Chest with ZERO magic items.....bravo!

"
Wisdom wrote:

Not really. This is the sort of poorly designed stuff I've come to expect. It's like I keep hoping for the best, and then consistently disappointed.

Sad really...

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info