Texture Streaming in Echoes of the Atlas

I never had a problem with anything feeling like it "stuttered".

Now the game loads a fat mess and it takes a jarring about of time.

I have a very old system.
(Asus laptop with nvidia 840 graphics)

Before ritual league i could run the game at all settings lowest with stable 40fps

So naturally i was excited to hear about this new change to help lower end systems

But since playing ritual i cant even get stable fps anymore, it will always be below 30 while playing, and when delirium mirror or ritual tote....just huge freezes

Please can we have the option to go back to before ritual texture settings.

You only made it way worse for me (a lower end system user)
My game is a lot smoother with this, last league I was getting multi-second screen freezes constantly. This is actually the first league in a long time where my game experience improved.

One thing that was the same before as it is now: The Legion effect once a crystal shatters that indicates a general often takes multiples seconds to load in, which is obviously an issue because I need to move instantly and I want that information. There doesn't appear to be a low-texture version of this effect. Could one be added?
Last edited by Pykish on Jan 28, 2021, 12:30:42 AM
This post is basically not acknowledging there is a severe problem here. Sorry but I wont be continuing this league. My connection and hardware are up to spec, your game is not.
Yeah, I was wondering what that actually was because it looks awful honestly. I would much rather have slightly lower FPS for a split second rather than my Atlas map, stash, and other things looking all pixelated for more frames. If whatever this is could be reverted, it would be cool. Or make it optional at least, idk.
🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Khajit has wares... If you have coin...✨🌀🔰🔶🔷
🔷🔶🔰🌀✨Best Leagues Ever Made: Synthesis>Harvest>Delve✨🌀🔰🔶🔷

Bring back: Heist Alt Quality Gems, sextants, gear enchanting, Prophecy, Perandus, Metamorph, Scourge, Sentinel, Kalandra & Crucible. Stop removing content from the game.
"
blaity2 wrote:
I have a very old system.
(Asus laptop with nvidia 840 graphics)

Before ritual league i could run the game at all settings lowest with stable 40fps

So naturally i was excited to hear about this new change to help lower end systems

But since playing ritual i cant even get stable fps anymore, it will always be below 30 while playing, and when delirium mirror or ritual tote....just huge freezes

Please can we have the option to go back to before ritual texture settings.

You only made it way worse for me (a lower end system user)

And a high end system users as well. I have 2080Ti and 10900K both overclocked and the game still hits both harder than any other game even world of warcraft.

Whatever that we have now is 100% worse for everyone
I have three phones, Blizzard. Three f***ing phones.
After the patch including this texture streaming it became less fun to play, if not for great league and expansion i would be dropping out, but its so good im willing to play even on pixels even tho im used to play on high settings.
"
While it's acceptable for assets to briefly be drawn with blurry-textures during gameplay when they first appear

It is NOT acceptable AT ALL. It creates a terrible experience, making your game look like shit.

It is 100000% better to have 0.2s of lag than get vomit on my screen. Because it changes the perception mindset of your game. And I didn't even lag before.

If low-end systems have issues, they can use lower settings.

Ryzen 7 1700, 32GB, RX580 8GB and SSD 850EVO btw
Last edited by Souchy on Jan 27, 2021, 11:47:21 PM
Hi, GGG!
Since the "fix" isn't fixing anything, cant you just add the button to disable this new feature of "improvement" until you working on it?
I just want to enjoy my favourite game not experiencing this kind of bullsh*t.
Thanks.
"
Zyrusil wrote:
Are the textures as optimized as they can be? Are the texture artists utilizing 90-99% of the texture map, using mirrored UV islands where possible, or is there a bit of sloppiness and are we just using massive 512-2048px textures for every asset?

I'm getting crashes quite frequently too, alongside memory leak. Good luck guys.

Some observations from the outside, not being a texture person:

There's approximately 100'000 low-res proxy texture files, taking around 113 MiB on-disk. Not all of these contain art, some are links to others.

Most 2DArt for UIs is efficiently packed in large sheets.

Textures for doodads tend to occupy the whole texture due to not needing much in the way of UV in general.

Textures for monsters/NPCs look a fair bit like what you'd expect from character textures, stretched UVs to maximize pixel density where it matters, reasonably tight packing of islands.

Most older materials use two textures, one for colour and one for normal/specular components. Cooler materials (particularly NPCs) has more PBR ones like metalness, flow maps, and sub-surface scattering.

Particle effects and other VFX uses a whole pile of textures, typically isolated as they leverage a lot of UV transforms other techniques that care about texture contents.

Storage-wise, they're all mostly BC7 stored with state-of-the-art compression on disk.

On a scale from random TurboSquid purchase to highly competent, GGG's heavily toward the latter. :)

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info