Well, fuck... (a 2020 hurricane season story)

You have a challenge completed, so something must be heading in the right direction...

I believe the long-term safety and security of the Gulf States may lie in a vast engineering project involving Monster Truck hydraulics and physically lifting the state up out of the rising floods...

"So Sarge, you mentioned Louisiana. You're saying the runaway truck had Louisiana plates..."

"No sir! It was the whole fruitin' state of Louisiana fishtailing down the highway"
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
"
crunkatog wrote:
You have a challenge completed, so something must be heading in the right direction...

I should get bonus points for being able to do so on this hotel wifi that has the router dropping out every few minutes. *flexes*

"
crunkatog wrote:
I believe the long-term safety and security of the Gulf States may lie in a vast engineering project involving Monster Truck hydraulics and physically lifting the state up out of the rising floods...

"So Sarge, you mentioned Louisiana. You're saying the runaway truck had Louisiana plates..."

"No sir! It was the whole fruitin' state of Louisiana fishtailing down the highway"

lmfao! ♥

Edit: I really want that fancy cat pet for my cat collection! Lets hope the wifi here cooperates. :P
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Last edited by Shovelcut on Oct 22, 2020, 3:51:10 PM
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
Sorry, getting angry here on your behalf...

Heh, go for it, I'm too exhausted to be angry anymore. :P

https://www.justice.gov/coronavirus/combattingpricegouginghoarding

https://www.justice.gov/opa/pr/department-justice-reminds-public-be-aware-fraud-when-disaster-strikes-and-report-it-nation-0

http://emergency.louisiana.gov/Releases/phonenumbers.html (Report Price Gouging to the LA AG office if in LA)

Price gouging of certain sorts during a disaster is a CRIME. Fraud is especially obnoxious and there are a bunches of different ways to commit "fraud" too.

It can be a pretty big deal, too, with huge support for some political guillotining for those even suspected of it... I wouldn't be surprised if more resellers put in order for more mobile homes BEFORE the disaster struck and now justify their higher prices due to "shortages" caused by higher demand.

Some DIY stores in various areas I've been in have gotten slammed by their States when raising prices on generators justifying those prices due to "supply"... but, they had pre-ordered a bajillion of them in expectation of the disaster-induced surge of buying.

Best wishes, hang in there, don't drink the water...
"
Morkonan wrote:
Price gouging...

Got a story about that too. lol
I'd have to dig thru receipts to find the exact numbers and days stayed but the final bill at the first hotel was close to 8 thousand bucks if not a little more...

Saw the number for reporting price gouging and gave it a ring and I shit you not 30 mins after hanging up with them the owner of the hotel called to say he knocked a little over 2k off the bill.

Got fucked on the house demolition too. The "deal" I was cut was a little over 5 thousand to tear the house down, he was like "well they're picking up all the debris for free right now so you should jump on that asap." so I did, like a fucking moron, without checking prices.

For what I paid I should have also had the debris removed by them, instead these fuckers just push it to the ditch. For the job they did I shouldn't have paid more than 1500 or so. They also managed to take all the appliances out of the house that very likely still worked but I had nowhere to put them, that was supposed to knock some off the bill but do you think it did? Ugh...

These stories keep going too. Like I said, too fucking exhausted to be pissed anymore. Thanks for your bit of research though! :)
"
Shovelcut wrote:
These stories keep going too. Like I said, too fucking exhausted to be pissed anymore. Thanks for your bit of research though! :)

Unfortunately, victims of natural disasters too often stay victims... In all the chaos, it's all-too-easy for unscrupulous people to take advantage of others no matter how many protections we have in place.

I had a tree fall on my house due to "high winds." (An enthusiastic thunderstorm that was trying to make tornado-babies.) If I had been sleeping in my bed at the time, I'd be dead. It knocked a corner off my house. (Big, old, oak tree.)

The number of "contractors" prowling the neighborhood was disgusting. I don't mean "legitimate" ones, I mean people who went out and got a business card that said they were a "contractor." Legitimate Contractors are registered and licensed.

I came home one day and found one of these "contractors" climbing on my friggin roof, peeling off the tarps I had put up to keep my house from flooding, and they then presented me with a "Price Estimate Contract" to sign that clearly stated it was an "authorization for work" and an "agreement to pay ___.__ moniees"... No contractor license number anywhere.

I had my basement flood twice... (Another overly enthusiastic storm, ain't Global Warming great?) There's a very well-known "water damage" company out there that charges outrageous sums for such things because they know the insurance companies will pay.

I will tell you how they accomplish this.

These franchises typically have owners that own a bunch of them in a region. Those stricken by natural disasters call up the well-known company and its contact number/email requesting assistance.

They route the majority of these service calls out-of-region so that a typical franchise owner ends up sending vans out of their normal territory and even out of their home State. They do this on purpose. Why?

That van full of temp-laborers that travels out of State, typically many miles away from their normal operating territory, will be the franchiser pretending they are "doing all they can to help people."

No.

They're doing all they can to help themselves to be able to justify outrageously inflated remediation costs due to the excuse of "having to travel so far."

Meanwhile, next door to their own home office, a customer (victim) is being serviced by the same company, but by a franchise who's home office is a couple of hundred miles away who will then claim exceptional service costs due to the distance their crew had to travel....

It's known.

This is a known thing.

It's purposefully done this way to inflate the final costs to the insurer.

A remediation/cleanup quote by this company for a very large furnished basement was over $10,000... A local company that was also part of a well-known franchise did everything and more for $3500. Why? Because they're not predators, that's why. (It could have been even cheaper, but I wanted them to take up and dispose of all the carpet instead of trying to treat it in place, which they were reasonably confident they could do.)

But, there is kindness out there, good people, altruism, those willing to go the extra distance to help out... All those things do exist. They're just so easily overshadowed by those few who are willing to harm and do great damage to victims. :/

PS: If you have any qualms at all about what an insurance company is getting billed for, let your insurer know. People get very cooperative when an Insurance Adjuster, Insurance Claim Investigator and a Lawyer show up at their place of business. (Most decent insurers just want to get those claims processed to keep their customers happy. They'll pay ridiculous sums just to get the claims off their desk.)
"
Shovelcut wrote:
"
Morkonan wrote:
Price gouging...

Got a story about that too. lol
I'd have to dig thru receipts to find the exact numbers and days stayed but the final bill at the first hotel was close to 8 thousand bucks if not a little more...

Saw the number for reporting price gouging and gave it a ring and I shit you not 30 mins after hanging up with them the owner of the hotel called to say he knocked a little over 2k off the bill.

Got fucked on the house demolition too. The "deal" I was cut was a little over 5 thousand to tear the house down, he was like "well they're picking up all the debris for free right now so you should jump on that asap." so I did, like a fucking moron, without checking prices.

For what I paid I should have also had the debris removed by them, instead these fuckers just push it to the ditch. For the job they did I shouldn't have paid more than 1500 or so. They also managed to take all the appliances out of the house that very likely still worked but I had nowhere to put them, that was supposed to knock some off the bill but do you think it did? Ugh...

Eh revenge is best served cold. Keep your receipts, class action lawsuits might be lurking ahead for you to recoup some of your wallet surgery. Failing that, you know where they live.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
How's it going down there?

(He asked, from Arsetrailya)
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Nov 28, 2020, 10:36:08 PM
Still living the hotel life unfortunately, I was told last week sometime before thanksgiving that I'd have my fema trailer in "2 to 3 weeks". They've marked out the location of the trailer when they came out for a site inspection last week.

Fingers crossed...
"
Shovelcut wrote:
Still living the hotel life unfortunately, I was told last week sometime before thanksgiving that I'd have my fema trailer in "2 to 3 weeks". They've marked out the location of the trailer when they came out for a site inspection last week.

Fingers crossed...

Crossing fingers, toes, eyes, and the Brooklyn Bridge on a unicycle for you to get settled soon. When you don't have a place to sleep, none of this other shit matters. Stay safe and sane!
Out of the blue, my partner asks as to your well-being and situation from time to time.

She *hates* Path of Exile.

Which is to say, your story transcends all the bullshit here. Trite as it might be, 'we are thinking of you and hoping things turn out okay' means something when our default reaction is 'that game is full of selfish pricks with no lives'.

(Who thought anyone would ever say that about a game that wasn't League of Legends?)

Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info