Well, fuck... (a 2020 hurricane season story)

good luck to you and your family, no one is injured ?, I hope you can easily recover from this D:
lady wish u the best things <3
Heyo

ooooof jeez well at least you are safe pic doesn't look too bad tho nothing that cant be fixed up?
Yeah I'm afraid the house is done for at this point it would probably be cheaper to tear it down and re-build than it would be to fix the damn thing.

Long story incoming... (TL;DR included at the end)

I posted the pic before I really saw the house, my son took it for me since he stayed but he didn't have keys so he couldn't see how the inside looked, I had no choice but to evacuate with my grandma who lives downtown (she's 96 btw and also driving until about a year ago. And she's got the grip of a pitbull, and fingers as solid as steel...lol). I just nabbed her and headed east to Lafayette and I-10 (and basically every other road) were basically impassible for most of the day after the storm and the following handful of days so I wasn't able to get to my house open to dry it out for almost 2 weeks. And none of the windows broke so everything in the house is STILL soaking wet and pretty much ruined. Thankfully all of the family photos and whatnot were untouched in both my house and my grandmas.

I don't know man, I got caught off-guard by this one. On the 26th I had a room booked in Kinder, not much further north east but safer, that fell through. We booked the room over the phone and made sure they took pets (I've got a cat that I REFUSE to leave behind or ship off to places unknown, probably dumb on my part but fuck that.) but when we got there they turned us away cuz of the cat. So we basically had nowhere to go but back to town, literally everything was booked from Lake Charles to Lafayette so we figured we'd just keep going east until the storm passed and then work our way back but my cousin that lives here in Lafayette found us a place at a hotel that was apparently the "last room in town" so we unpacked and kicked back until the storm passed.

It was a pretty chill night until about 1-1:30 ish AM, had a small tornado touch down a couple blocks from the hotel but aside from that it was pretty tame. Resisting the urge to go back to check on everything was really, really hard after the storm passed. The only thing that held me back was my grandma. Her age caught up to her real quick so she doesn't move around so well anymore. The first night in the hotel room she gets up to pee in the middle of the night and takes a dive right into the bath tub. She didn't hurt herself, jesus that lady is tough, but I couldn't leave her in the room alone and I sure as hell couldn't take her with me (and for good reason too, the first 2 attempts at reaching my house ended with flat tires and blocked paths) so I just kinda had to sit around and wait for my family to take care of their stuff before they could take her off my hands so I could take care of my own stuff. Which was obviously way too late. So much black mold on everything you can barely go in the house.

So here I am, still in this fucking hotel room for the last night thankfully. Fuckers have been price gouging on all the evacuees that haven't been able to go home yet. I had the room booked till the 30th of this month but I'm already at close to $2.5k into this room and was looking at another $2k or so for the remaining time...and bruh I ain't made out of money. xD

FEMA kicked everyone affected 500 bucks but I'm kinda fucked until my insurance company gets their shit together and sends their findings to FEMA, so FEMA won't cover my housing (and neither does my insurance apparently). But I found a trailer for rent a little further north so it's at least something until I can get a cheap trailer moved in on my property. Had my first run-thru of the house with the insurance guy today so at least the ball is rolling.

But ya know what? It's restored my faith in humanity. I haven't had much time to watch national news or surf the news sites much so I don't know if they're even still covering it, I certainly haven't seen anything about it the times I've been able to watch but if you could see all the help that has come in from all over the country to start trying to get things back to normal you'd have to be dead inside to not be moved by it. Stands setup all throughout the city serving free food or offering cleaning supplies or other necessities. Logging and tree cutting companies are removing trees off of houses for free and good lord are there a lot of them. Humanity at it's best is a fucking beautiful thing. It's just a damn shame it takes something of this magnitude to bring it out.

Whew it's been a wild ride. They're saying it's still potentially weeks away from restoring power to most of the parish, it's just nice to be able to breathe again. Things were beginning to look grim for a while there. :)

Sorry if that was hard to follow, I was already pretty scatterbrained before all this and holy shit it's so much worse now and SO MUCH has happened I'm sure I'm leaving out key bits. xD

I'll post some more pics when I get time.

Thanks for the kind words ppl. It means a lot. Nera, Zenny, Lady and Yung...I fuckin love ya'll. :)

TL;DR - House fucked, wallet fucked, grandma is potentially immortal and has super strength but no balance. Sense of humor still intact though. :)

Good luck with the new league fellas, looks like it's got potential to be pretty fun. Maybe I'll see ya'll around in-game if the new place has a decent ISP. Otherwise I'll just be lurking the forums. ♥
Just a lowly standard player. May RNGesus be with you.
Thank you for the update. Painful to read. GF came in halfway and for once I wasn't ashamed that I was reading this crappy forum, still. I'm going to do the very surprising thing and not type anything else.

Thoughts and whatever hedonistic well-wishes I may have that pass for prayers.

W
Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Man I hope things work out for the best. Being homeless sucks, been there, dumb that. Luckily I didn't have to deal with a regional disaster and noplace to go - I had friends, work buddies, etc. to couch surf with.

I remember last time around, we went to visit N.O. just weeks before Katrina hit. Even visited a comic store in Ward 9, one that's obviously no longer there. A friend described what was happening to the Huey P Long bridge just a few hundred yards from his house - it sounded like a terror movie. it took him a month just to get to temporary housing in Houston, with his 6 kittens and dogs and various and sundry other family members.

Not funny. Nature be scary. Don't die.
[19:36]#Mirror_stacking_clown: try smoke ganja every day for 10 years and do memory game
Damn Tempt, I really hope things pull through for you. You've always been one of my best friends in game and I hope I can see you around man. Love you broski

GL w/ round 2... :\
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
<739610877-3104-376.101077-1106.75103739110792103.108-5'92.9410776.>
- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0 -- 0 * - < _ > - * 0- 0 * - <
With our out of control global climate emergency, this is going to get progressively worse over the coming decades/centuries (if we survive that long)
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
Hey buddy. We haven't heard from each other in a while, but we were both hanging out in global chat from time to time.

I heard about your predicament and just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in my thoughts! I'm relieved you're alright, but I'm sorry to hear about your current living situation :(

Keep your head up, pal. We'll await your safe return to Wraeclast :)

Luv, Tiny ♥
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Just a little bump for our good friend Harpy. Hope you're doing okay buddy, we miss ya over here! We're trying to hold down the fort, go ahead take your time and get things fixed good and proper!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info