Share Your Path of Exile Memories With Us!

I have bin playing since open beta back then soul taker was quite expensive.Anyway one drops for me in some random low level map.I was pumped I post it on the trade forum for 32ex.The next day A guy sends me a msg "I dont have the 32 ex would you take 7 eternal orbs" I think about it for a min and like well they go for 4.5 ex each so sounds like a fair price and take the deal.I still have afew of those eternals and I think about that trade still.

I miss ledge runs pugs where a thing then lot of great times there.Had a gmp gem drop on one off those runs back then they where like 1-2 ex each I grab it and log.

Then during legacy league I was running a low level jungle valley and had my first Mirror ever dropped.

*** Now worst memory I sold a legacy kaom's heart for 90ex seemed like a great deal then since I bought it for 80ex like 2 weeks before.Wish I had that one back.

Back in open beta it was just a common gem.
Last edited by zsirfoka on Aug 10, 2020, 7:52:28 PM
I used to be so afraid of Vaal Oversoul back in the day. When act 3 came out I was playing with some randoms and one died from the bear trap guy while running to Act 3 then the rest of them died from Piety in the crematorium when she hit them with a ball of lightning lol. HC of course good times.
~Play On~
WWW.ELITEOBSIDIANGAMING.COM
Spoiler
#1 Piety and Dominus runs

Piety and Dominus runs, were more or less the begin of everything for me at least.

Was a total noob with only few hours played, joined a public board called piety split runs [Insert some fake Magic find value here] and had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to do at all. The next day I was able to pretend to be the new Flash (ironic obviously, I was a bit faster but still too slow).

Kept going like that for a while, learned a bit more about economy thanks to awesome players I met during this, and generally had a lot of fun too.

A bit later it also introduced me to theorycrafting and building characters, with dedicated purposes (I tried to build the fastest character for these runs, it was useless because others members couldn't catch up anyway and I had to wait for them, but at least I had time to drink my coffee and could now pretend to be the new Flash (took a lot of efforts and I was probably still slow). Note that there were much less options than now to achieve some decent speed. We are talking about 2013.

Those parties were natural, engaging and fun. Giving players some good times at all, what else to ask from a game?

#2 Level 100 (Harbinger league)

I often saw comments from GGG back in days saying if 100 was too easy it would drive players away from PoE, I never agreed with that and it's still the case today.

Was building some characters during Harbinger league and was totally bored by the league at all; almost ready to wait for the next one. Then I ended with an half decent and very fun wander. I then decided to use my time wisely (of course it wasn't) and to keep looking for some xp.

Started to look for a random group and see how far I could improve this with some cool folks, ended that I landed in a group with a very old friend I played with years before in piety/dom runs (at this moment I knew it was too late).

From that point I discussed with him as he was often going for 100, asked few questions and told him I had only few days vacations left and I needed to setup an emergency plan to reach level 100.

Went bed few mins after, bought few packs of water next morning, prepared some food in advance for the next coming days and that's it I was ready to go! my friend too. We abused our social skills to always have peoples with us and manage them the best we could (because at that point it was looking like management really).

And yes! there was a lot of build diversity. (According to history there were only wander in this league, this is plenty wrong.)

At 99% xp I decided to remove all my gears and run a bit behind the group and that's it a moment later it happened, I was level 100 and I JUMPED FROM MY CHAIR, OPENED A BOTTLE OF CHAMPAGNE, KNOCKED NEIGHBOORS DOORS, THEN RAN 5 MILES WITH MY POE T-SHIRT.
No I'm kidding, I just went to bed again because this took a bit of time and vacations were ending 4 hours later.
I can tell you that the day at work was much harder than getting to 100.

#3 Bringing new players to PoE

Not a memory and mostly an habit, but I always recommend the game to external players. I noticed a lot of them have generally no idea what is PoE at all even with the giant reputation of the game I think it fails a lot at catching non-RPG players even these days (unsure why).

Most of them doesn't stay super long the first time, and then come back few months later trying again and then stay (unsure why but probably because I'm terrible at teaching things).

I think showing a game like PoE, with the amount of content it has these days, is a very important thing for new players, helping them you know? It's also good for learning more things yourself.
Bonus: It's really fun to see innocent players joining discord/teamspeak channels claiming they will be 100 by the end of their first day.

#4 The act 5 announcement turning into whole new acts

It was lot of joy, at this moment I was totally bored by the game and it clearly renewed my interest for it. Fantastic move really.

#5 Creating the Crash Clan

Creating this friendly guild/group was my one of the best memories and achievement so far (Trust me achievement is the appropriate word here). Between early 2013 and guild creation I met a lot of awesome people on PoE, one day I tought it would be a good idea to gather them all in the same place.
The decision had nothing to do with searching them one by one in this very aesthetic and ergonomic ingame friendlist, I swear.

A lot of them were already in guilds, or we wern't talking much anymore because you know life is life we all grow up have adult responsibilities and blahblahblah (so yeah we don't always play the same league at the same time for example).

But then they almost all accepted from tiime to time (The two that said no had shitty RnG for months, and it's still the case up to this day).
To be honest we almost never played in group or whhatever after this because PoE doesn't really ask us to do so, we just share some jokes in chat and occasionally share some stuff, advices and that's it.
No stressful ambience, if someone stop for three leagues and come back he know he will always have a home here.

#6 The prophecy ******* unique box challenge

Short story, I started this league and absolutely wanted to get my 40/40, but also to get it under three or four weeks solo play and without any external help (This was a really stupid idea).

I think I kinda achieved the 39/40 in this timeline but never had the chance to find an unique box or chance one (Trust me I tried).
Guess what? I tried and failed horribly and then asked for external help.

After few days calling PoE RnG by all possible bad words and showing my despair trought few forum post I decided to give up and to post again on forum if someone was willing to help on this.
So someone sent me a message in chat, he didn't even asked for anything and I gave him more or less all I had left in stash in exchange. That's an happy end with two happy players. We kept contact since that.

There are many others memories and I decided to avoid bad ones because world is already fucked up enough like that.

As you can see, these are not really tied to loots or fantastic achievements, and more about a player normal journey at all. And I'm happy to be that player. These days I will admit my interest for PoE is almost gone and this, because:

#1 I started to build my very first game and I take it to heart (Nothing impressive just some 2D plateformers (Because ... Eh well we are not going to turn this into a 2D/3D fight, not today).

#2 PoE is partly responsible of #1 and once it's done I will add it in this memories list.

#3 I'm not super satisfied with a lot of the past leagues.

#4 I hate this game more than I love it. Because it would take approx 17 lives to finally test and achieve everything existing in it.

I will however be happy to spend more time when PoE 2 will be released, and share some new memories for it much much later without a doubt.

Keep up the great work!

Heli
Hf :)
Last edited by Heli0nix on Aug 11, 2020, 2:03:36 AM
It's more recent, but it was super fun. We were delving as a party of 4 going very fast and listening to eurobeat. We were almost constantly laughing cause it was sort of a "keep up" game as I was leading the party with high movement speed and some of the party members were near dying all the time.
I remember playing a summoner, repeatedly. Thinking I had to use all blue gems, as my zombie / spectre / skeletons were blue. That's how it worked, right?

I also remember refusing to run certain maps (looking at you anything with goat men) or certain bosses, because if things got past my meat shields I would get one shot.

I remember the safety of getting back to the Twilight Strand after completing a difficulty (no matter if the last boss was from Act II, III, or IV).

I remember them adding GULLS to the Ledge. My pure, unbridled squishy summoner fury. Why, WHY would they add these horrific things that could bypass all my glorious meat shields?!

I remember blue packs of devourers in Act II, that would stalk you. I still hear my own piercing screams.

I remember drop bears, and the horror they produced. I played a summoner for a long, long time, okay?!

I remember the many, many (un)intentional PKs in maps that I (specifically) didn't make too hard for a friend's build. Cackling in whatever voice chat was available, as one or both of us fell over to something stupid. Somehow, dying when in a party is far funnier than alone. There's a reason I don't play hardcore.

In all, I remember many, many years of enjoyment from the game, and I look forward to many to come.
I remember how GhazzyTV was just a nobody, doing Map Carry for groups for 4 fusings @Standard. With his snapshoted Zombies Build. Back than Standard was a fun place to play PoE, with a ton of new players, doing full party runs with random people. True multiplayer game that was...
Last edited by SuperDumbo on Aug 11, 2020, 11:11:45 AM
Gamer gf playing POE with me, starts humming and singing as we slaughter monsters! OMG, humming happy tunes! Good stuff.
Entering the Labyrinth for the first time!! I was SO TERRIBLE at Labyrinth at first! Saving my souls Vaal Summon Skeletons for Argus, and having him wade through them like they weren't there (!!) A *lot* of kiting and then ... "You killed my Argus!" :-) The first few times I beat Izaro, my heart was racing -- I was so afraid of getting killed and starting over! (And despite all the hate you get for it, the Labyrinth is still awesome!)

Before that, playing a Templar looking at the Templar's Ascendancy classes for the first time, and thinking "meh. Some good ideas here, but nothing here really speaks to me." Then, when the Witch Ascendancy classes came out, looking at Elementalist and thinking "!!! Holy cats! Every skill here is MADE OF WIN!! Who *wouldn't* play this?!?" (Many, many people as it turns out, but the Elementalist sang to me).

My first build that really, really worked, when boss fights went from "Okay, persevere, you got this, Don't forget to RUN!! Run, hit, run! We'll whittle him down eventually!" To "Oh -- is the fight over already? That went well."

And finding a Cospri's Will in Act 6 (!!) at the bottom of a Strange Barrel :-)
Last edited by GentleBenjamin on Aug 11, 2020, 12:38:03 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info