Dear Community (A message from an ex-pro)

"
Exile009 wrote:
^You missed players virtually prostituting themselves and humping each other in towns. I'll let you decide if you missed out on a lot of fun now...

wouldn't underestimate the social aspect of arpgs.

especially since it's the only social contact, a huge chunk of the new generation that's supposed to bring us a step forward, has experienced.
age and treachery will triumph over youth and skill!
SadDropUser may very well be a top tier PoE player and his advise is accurate and well founded based on his PoE knowledge from years of playing but he does come across with this post like he is full of himself. Like "how dare someone not heed my advise?"
"You've got to grind, grind, grind at that grindstone..."
Necessity may be the mother of invention, but poor QoP in PoE is the father of frustration.

The perfect solution to fix Trade Chat:
www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2247070
"
"
vio wrote:
daoc and everquest, avoided them both alongside wow and don't know if i missed alot of fun.

did i?

You did, but obviously it wasn't without its hassles and dramas. I ran roleplay guilds in both Dark Age of Camelot and Everquest, since both had very active RP scenes -- especially DAoC, which had strict in-character servers, so strict even I was reported once or twice for pushing the boundaries with my...looser RP style (you'll notice Oni-Goroshi doesn't quite talketh like she is from ye olde Englande). In Everquest, we'd occasionally be drawn into fairly elaborate roleplay events run by the devs that were a lot of fun. They'd reward our characters with decent gear for our effort, which is always a nice bonus.

But the games themselves? Eh, grindy as hell, buggy, extremely hostile (DAoC's entire conceit was three realms fighting each other in a contested frontier area and *not being able to communicate in game*, something I believe WoW copied wholesale), plagued with the usual MMO problems. Lag. Crashes. Spawn-camping. Kill-stealing. But damn, they were fun when they were hot. DAoC's combat was genuinely great fun too. Lots of tactical engagement: certain skills did more damage from behind, in front of or beside the enemy, and they'd create chains with other skills...that sort of thing is a blast in PvP.

I used to like sitting in EC Tunnel (Eastern Commons) in Everquest, which was the unofficial trade centre for any given server, and just hawk my wares in creative ways. Most people would just WTS and WTB, but I found when we'd do it in-character, others would follow suit.

Entrance to EC Tunnel on a busy day.

Or we'd do something similar in a zone called Lake of Ill Omen (LOIO), which was known as a sort of chat hub (I hear WoW had something similar in The Barrens, and wouldn't be surprised if some LOIO veterans ended up there). The fun thing about LOIO was that it also contained the final step for an Epic quest for the Monk weapon, and whenever a Monk obtained their Epic weapon, the entire zone would be alerted, and everyone would celebrate. Epic Quests back then took months of extremely convoluted questing that dragged your arse all over Norrath. They were, at the time, the only way to get glowing/animated weapons, and when you saw someone with one, you knew they were Hot Shit. They were character-bound, and thus immune to RMT and trading. There was simply no easy way to get one. I sure as fuck never did, but that's probably because I was happy goofing around in LOIO. Heh.

As for WoW, eh. I beta-tested it and thought it was a lot of fun, sort of like EQ+DAoC for dummies. But I knew from my years of experience on Battle.net what sort of unpleasant gamer Blizzard attracted, and that my enjoyment of WoW would be ruined once other people came along, so didn't ever actually play the game once it went live. I heard there was RP and whatnot, but by then I'd sort of outgrown it anyway. Not long after WoW came out there was Guild Wars 1, and that game changed everything for me. It really drove home how you could blend MMO scale with ARPG tactical play all based around a strategic MTG deck style skill setup. Pretty sure PoE would exist without Guild Wars 1, but it wouldn't be quite the same game.

edit: and while I was at it, I googled 'S-Tier Everquest'. Not a single hit. What a surprise.

Are you being a clown or actually this daft? Every pro in everquest understands the tiers. https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Tiers
The final tier is called Plane of Magic Tier, but for short, we call it S-tier. Saying Spell is faster than saying magic, and every fucking second counts when it's all on the line during some of the raids I've done.

Now what were you saying? Looks like the cat got it's own tongue. You will never hit the tiers I can.
"
SadDropUser wrote:

https://eq2.fandom.com/wiki/Tiers

Uh, yeah, I saw that. They go down to 13. I don't see any letters. Also, stop saying 'Everquest' when you mean 'Everquest 2'. Even FEWER people give a diddlyshit about EQ2. At least EQ1 has OG cred.

https://steamcharts.com/app/201230

Spoiler: yes, that says '523 all time peak'. Or we can just go with this one:

Total players for Everquest 2

versus

Total players for EQ1

But sure, you keep banging on about how EverQuest 2 is so pro and amazing. Or how you're pro and amazing at a game relatively few people give two stale shits about.

Or don't. I doubt anyone here would mind if you stopped.

__

"
vio wrote:

at the time our nerds went full ultima online, everquest and dark age of camelot i've had my "first person shooter" period, only found out later about my love to rpgs and arpgs.

Well we sort of just bounced around games back then, because there really wasn't enough around to fully commit to a single one -- the 'game as service' was a long way off, although sub-based MMOs would definitely pave the way for the concept. For example, everyone who played ARPGs on Bnet also played RTSes there, because it was just what you and your bnet friends did. I was just as apt to jump into a game of Starcraft as I was to do a Chaos Sanctuary run On D2. Blizzard's Battle.Net really showed off the power of a cross-genre platform, and proved that gamers who get to know each other can and will play a number of genres happily, rather than just sticking to one thing. I kind of miss those days, because people who are more connected to a gaming community than a single game tend to be, well, less short-sighted and narrow-minded. Their horizons are broader; their perspectives a little less...constricted.

Ultima Online escaped my grasp despite knowing a lot of people who played it and despite being an Origin fan back in the day (oh, Chris Roberts, you fallen God you), simply because I was never into the Ultima game series -- I was all about the TSR games, the Wizardries, Might and Magic. Lord British never got his weird claws into me, but I was aware that UO had absolutely savage PvP and world-breaking players, and that somehow...it all worked. I don't regret missing that one.

As for FPSes, I had my time on Wolf3d, Doom, Quake 2 (oh those skin mods!) and the single player wonder Unreal, but since I lived in Australia at the time, I was constantly dealing with LPBs (Low Ping Bastards). We first wave Aussie online gamers became quite adept at anticipating and leading our targets because, well, we had to be. But my real jam for FPSes was Unreal Tournament. Never did the Counterstrike thing, or whatever followed. There was, briefly, a Wheel of Time FPS that I enjoyed greatly, since it seemed to channel games like Hexen and Heretic, and before that there was Ultima Underworld which I guess was a FPRPG, but these days I just can't handle the first person perspective for long. It's part of why I couldn't stick with Overwatch or Paladins -- just so damn fast, so damn chaotic. Also, what's the deal with selling skins for a first person shooter? That's just lame. LET ME SEE WHAT I BOUGHT!

Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
Tablet - - Buriedbornes 2, Dawncaster, Loop Hero, Fate GO;
and,
PC - - Word and winamp ~_^
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Sep 21, 2020, 10:22:56 PM
"
SadDropUser wrote:

Now, before you get up in arms like a citizen hunting Frankenstein

It was Dr Frankenstein's monster citizens got up in arms hunting. Frankenstein's Monster was extremely empathetic, socially conscious and well-mannered despite his grotesque appearance, and is very confused and hurt when the citizens shun him for his physical status. He takes that confusion and hurt out on his creator, since it was Dr. Frankenstein who made him that way.

There's probably something to be learned from that. It's a literary classic for a reason.
Currently playing on:
Ps5 - - Predecessor, Warhammer 40k Inquisitor, Dungeon Encounters, Assassins Creed Origins, Deep Rock Galactic/Remnant 2 (MP w mates);
and,
"
"
SadDropUser wrote:

It was Dr Frankenstein's monster citizens got up in arms hunting. Frankenstein's Monster was extremely empathetic, socially conscious and well-mannered despite his grotesque appearance, and is very confused and hurt when the citizens shun him for his physical status. He takes that confusion and hurt out on his creator, since it was Dr. Frankenstein who made him that way.

There's probably something to be learned from that. It's a literary classic for a reason.

I find it funny that you find it funny that other people keep feeding him, and then you go on to seriously engage with him yourself like so. ;)
"
Exile009 wrote:
"
"
SadDropUser wrote:

I find it funny that you find it funny that other people keep feeding him, and then you go on to seriously engage with him yourself like so. ;)

If I have any abundance of arrogance and pride on here, it's in the hope that sufficient serious engagement can result in some nugget of worthwhile exchange. When I made threads, it wasn't to show off how brilliant or smart I am, or even how much I know about PoE (i.e. very little). It was to engender fruitful dialogue, to attract people more brilliant and smarter than I, people who know more about PoE, to contribute. That is why I'm back, and it's why I'm not going anywhere unless forcibly removed. Again. And even then *I will be back*.

...And no, I don't mean engaging with anyone in particular. This is a public discussion, as is every single thing posted to these GGGodsforsaken boards, so there's every chance that something otherwise disposable or off-the-cuff might prompt a third party to chime in, to add to the accumulation of knowledge.

In other words, when life gives you sad drops, figure out a way to use them.
Currently playing on:
and,
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Sep 22, 2020, 4:33:55 AM
^Ah okay, I can appreciate that.

So you are or did play POE as a Pro?

So who payed you?

Who did you compete against?

What the name of your team?

As long as your not getting paid and have to pay income tax you are not a fucking pro, stop using this word just to make you feel better that you spent WAAAAYYY to much time playing a videogame for kids.
Just because I'm paranoid doesn't mean they're not out to get me.
"
KalHirol wrote:

As long as your not getting paid and have to pay income tax you are not a fucking pro, stop using this word just to make you feel better that you spent WAAAAYYY to much time playing a videogame for kids.

I disagree. You can be a pro at something that doesn't pay, given that 'pro' as an abbreviation of 'professional' is no longer the only definition. You can say something like 'she's an old pro at it' -- whatever 'it' is, no native speaker is going to assume she was actually paid to do it. Just means she has an unusual amount of experience and expertise at it. 'She's an old pro at mediating disagreements between her family' doesn't mean she was ever a paid relationship counsellor.

That said, if you're pro at something that isn't professional, it's really not worth bragging about, but it's sometimes nice to be considered such. I consider it a compliment in most cases. And who the heck gives themselves compliments unprompted, ex nihilo? Well, I can think of a few people, I guess...

Because if you're pro at something genuinely insignificant like, say, clipping your nails, trimming your nose hairs, licking envelopes, or grinding a game no one in the room knows or cares about...eh, good for you. Wouldn't go around making it a thing though.
Currently playing on:
and,
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Sep 22, 2020, 6:09:59 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info