Thoughts on GGG's dishonesty, false advertising, and new stash tabs.

"
Spoiler
Still singing, I see.

Someone needs to keep the TencentGGG "beyond reproach overlords" ACCOUNTABLE at times, so it might as well be us, the "veterans" that voted with our wallets...

Going "full ret@rd" on such a sensible topic, needs to simply make them change the damn "F2P" tag to "F2P&GM" one (aka "free 2 play" to "free 2 pay & get milked")...

But hey, at least most of us actually SUPPORTED them with $$$ and feedback, yet they continuously succeed in alienating more and more of us and our "good will" each update, hopefully, proper game critics will "grow some" and add a few "favorable" reviews when the PoE 2 gets available...

Now, if only Last Epoch gets to implement properly ranged and cast playstyles, PoE will need to actually stop calling itself an "ARPG" instead of it's well earned current tag of a "pew-pew zoom-zoom force meta arcade shooter Clicker Heroes meme fiasco"...

PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
"
Spoiler
Still singing, I see.

Someone needs to keep the TencentGGG "beyond reproach overlords" ACCOUNTABLE at times, so it might as well be us, the "veterans" that voted with our wallets...

Going "full ret@rd" on such a sensible topic, needs to simply make them change the damn "F2P" tag to "F2P&GM" one (aka "free 2 play" to "free 2 pay & get milked")...

But hey, at least most of us actually SUPPORTED them with $$$ and feedback, yet they continuously succeed in alienating more and more of us and our "good will" each update, hopefully, proper game critics will "grow some" and add a few "favorable" reviews when the PoE 2 gets available...

Now, if only Last Epoch gets to implement properly ranged and cast playstyles, PoE will need to actually stop calling itself an "ARPG" instead of it's well earned current tag of a "pew-pew zoom-zoom force meta arcade shooter Clicker Heroes meme fiasco"...

Did anyone ever support them more with '$$$ and feedback' than I?

And what did it matter? Nada. Zip. Zilch. A talking sword, a gimmick monster and years of disappointment and despair.

So I think you're drastically overreaching when you say you, Moon, or anyone else still languishing in the what-was-and-never-will-be are 'keeping TencentGGG accountable'. Accountable to what? Integrity of product? Faithfulness to the original Path of Exile vision? The pride of GGG being a local game developer in an industry overrun with *cough* profit-driven investors?

They sold out, and we all knew it the moment it happened. The only thing Chris could have done to justify it was take that truckload of Chinese cash and make a better game. He knows he has it in him. But I suspect the stress of PoE's meteoric success has, somewhat ironically, stripped him of any real motivation to do so. (And if I'm wrong, I'll be the first person to give whatever he comes up with next its due, whatever form that may take.)

So no, there is no accountability to the players beyond making sure they keep supporting so the Tencentacle Monster gets its not-inconsiderable appeasement. None.

And I think we've seen time and again just how little of that has to do with making PoE a genuinely good game, haven't we?

Warhammer 40k Inquisitor: where shotgunning is not only not nerfed, it is deeply encouraged.

Dogma > Souls, but they're masterworks all. You can't go wrong.

I was right about PoE2 needing to be a separate, new game. It was really obvious.
Last edited by Foreverhappychan on Jun 27, 2020, 8:39:12 AM
I've changed the OP reference from "GGG" to "Tencent."

"
Edit: And there you go doing it. You are simply amazing, Tencent. You must think you are beyond reproach and criticism.

And evidently they are: There is a critical mass of players who no longer care how dishonest their service provider is, whether via announcements or advertisements or anything else. ("Poggers!" "Noice!")

We are seeing the results of that play out in front of us.

And GGG is dead. Rest in peace. You will be missed.
Wash your hands, Exile!
Some of the objectionable stuff started prior to getting bought by Tencent, so I wouldn't give GGG itself a free pass on the matter.
"
Angry_Casual wrote:
Some of the objectionable stuff started prior to getting bought by Tencent, so I wouldn't give GGG itself a free pass on the matter.
For reference, Bestiary League was the last "proper" league before Tencent purchased GGG, with "Flashback League" out during the time of takeover. Incursion was the first league after Tencent's purchase.

I consider Perandus to be the first of the, uh, typical new leagues, so I agree with Angry_Casual — this isn't purely a tendency thing.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
My two cents: I feel very salty about the 3 new stash tabs, those being: Metamorph tab, delirium tab, and blight tab. It feels like GGG trying to squeeze extra money out of us for things some of us have already paid for.

The metamorph catalysts would fit well inside of the currency tab, in non wild-card slots. The organs are understandable, as they're their own archetype and would need a layout similar to the map tab to accommodate.

Delirium tab? Well, the splinters and simulacrums should fit inside of the fragments tab. The breach splinters already do, and are aptly named "splinters." Functionally, the simulacrum splinters and complete simulacrums function exactly the same way a breach splinter does. The only thing I could justify a delirium tab for is cluster jewels, which already clutter up your own stash quite efficiently anyway.

Blight tab? You've got to be kidding me. Blighted maps already fit inside of your map tab. You very well could have made exact slots in the main currency tab for oils. Wildcard slots would be sufficient if there weren't several thousands of oil tiers including a new one. I kind of agree with what was said before: "We've created a problem for you, and now you need to pay us to solve it."

Best solution I've found? Designate one of my numbered general tabs (premium if I want to name it) to fit all of the stuff. As long as I can get past the desire to lazily ctrl + left click stuff in, I can get past having to buy said tabs.

The price I pay? Losing progress because: Instead of running a map, I'm sitting in my hideout organizing items. So, I have 2 options: Pay for a stash tab so I can be lazy and ctrl + left click things in. Or, I can have a slightly weaker character because I didn't have as much time to run content, but not feel absolutely boned because I paid twice for something that I already "own."

But from a company's perspective? I understand the need to make money on something people aren't forced to pay for to enter. I understand server costs and costs of employing a team of game developers, it isn't cheap. I also understand having to placate to a corporate overlord, in GGG's case being tencent.

A lot of us aren't asking for free stash space or free stash tabs. We're asking that the things we've already paid for are given updates for content that didn't exist at the time but now does, as any developer would do.
"
Spoiler
"
sofocle10000 wrote:
"
Still singing, I see.

Did anyone ever support them more with '$$$ and feedback' than I?

And what did it matter? Nada. Zip. Zilch. A talking sword, a gimmick monster and years of disappointment and despair.

So I think you're drastically overreaching when you say you, Moon, or anyone else still languishing in the what-was-and-never-will-be are 'keeping TencentGGG accountable'. Accountable to what? Integrity of product? Faithfulness to the original Path of Exile vision? The pride of GGG being a local game developer in an industry overrun with *cough* profit-driven investors?

They sold out, and we all knew it the moment it happened. The only thing Chris could have done to justify it was take that truckload of Chinese cash and make a better game. He knows he has it in him. But I suspect the stress of PoE's meteoric success has, somewhat ironically, stripped him of any real motivation to do so. (And if I'm wrong, I'll be the first person to give whatever he comes up with next its due, whatever form that may take.)

So no, there is no accountability to the players beyond making sure they keep supporting so the Tencentacle Monster gets its not-inconsiderable appeasement. None.

And I think we've seen time and again just how little of that has to do with making PoE a genuinely good game, haven't we?

I'm thinking you encompassed most, if not all of our feelings in your reply, and the truth is you're very accurate about the shortfalls of PoE, but only TencentGGG can "GIT GUD & UP TO SNUFF" and focus on "making PoE a genuinely good game", like they should have always kept doing...

I'm also losing interest in seeing them persevere in their way, with their horse blindfolds and their obnoxious "we know best" attitude.

They missed their chance to focus on proper retention, and quality lacking content & "hype" can only do so much, to hide that going after the casual crowd in their chosen path, was the wrong answer...

Due to their subpar choices, "FUN" leaves PoE more each update, and it's entirely up to them to PROPERLY SOLVE that...

PSS: Our almighty TencentGGG overlords are very scrupulous regarding criticizing their abilities to take proper decisions and consider everything "needlessly harsh and condescending"...

Good to know "free speech" doesn't apply in any form or manner on the forums these days...
I was seriously considering not buying the new tabs. I have many unused tabs and have plenty of room in three regular tabs for these items.

I then read Chris's post about this. https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2882324

Basically, he says that they are currently planning on having a toggle on specialty tabs that will say that a ctrl-click on an inventory item will put that item into the specialty tab even if the stash isn't currently open to that tab. They expect to release this in the next couple of months or so. Without this new feature the value of the new tabs along with the fragment tab is marginal.

Regarding the false advertising, I disagree with it but it is just marketing hype. I don't like marketing hype and generally don't trust the folks that produce that stuff anyway.

edit: P.S. For those folks that can't afford specialty tabs and want to complain that this new feature makes specialty tabs P2W, just be happy that the rest of us are giving GGG money so you don't have to.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
Last edited by Turtledove on Jun 29, 2020, 12:07:35 AM
"
Turtledove wrote:

edit: P.S. For those folks that can't afford specialty tabs and want to complain that this new feature makes specialty tabs P2W, just be happy that the rest of us are giving GGG money so you don't have to.

Thank you for giving GGG money so the rest of us impoverished lowlifes don't have to. You're such a hero.
"
Turtledove wrote:

Thank you for making sure GGG feels justified with whatever means they use to squeeze money out of its user base.
Chris loves you man.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info