Evolving Path of Exile's Renderer

So this buff swole european dude who has phd in seismic wave propagation is leading your graphics engine upgrades ! Interstingly at 23 mins he says that poe can't do temporal reprojection unlike unreal engine - which basically translates to poe cant do volumetric fog and then you have your PR head saying just the opposite that delirium fog is all volumetric fog and will have minimal impact on performance ... well ... Which is it ?

Feels like poe 4.0 will inherit same performance issue as current one's . Don't really see how raytracing even is in picture for poe.

Also dude has nice energy thing going on for him.
chaotic neutral
If there'a anything most of us with good graphics cards would like you to fix is the fact that PoE is using a pititful amount of VRAM, which is causing excessive cycling of assets.

Case in point: Delirium encounters where for the first time anything spawns your FPS drops considerably and the game engine essentially hangs while it's waiting for the assets to be loaded. With the higher end GPUs having anywhere from 8 GB to 24 GB (AMD's top end HBM2 cards) and PoE using only a craptacular 3 GB VRAM, it's painfully clear you aren't utilizing the resources available to store textures so they raen't cycled so often. I shouldn't be reloading those textures each and every time I go into a Delirium encounter. It just makes zero sense.

When I was farming for my Lioneye's Fall jewel for what will ultimately be my ice shot ascendent build, every time I came out form Mud Flats I could clearly see the textures on the outer edge of the waypoint being loaded from my SSD. They weren't still in VRAM despite being a common texture when traversing maps in campaign.

Your most recent patch further reduced the texture cache and it's really destroying performance becuase of the constant asset cycling. If you aren't going to make the default larger, then at least give us an option in the UI to allow up to 80% of our GPU's VRAM for textures. World of Warcraft does this and it benefits it tremendously even at "lowly" 1080p resolutions because there is minimal asset cycling.

I don't care how good your renderer is if it's constantly having to cycle assets. At that point it's moot because performance is never fully achieved regardless of any improvements you make to it.
Thank you GGG and Alex for this talk on the PoE renderer!

Was interesting to hear how PoE's solutions differed from other games due to things like the mostly fixed overhead camera and dynamic level generation.
The grass tech, shadow solution and water flow stuff was also very cool and nice to see GGG's efficient reuse of assets extends to the graphics tech also with your curvature stuff being used for shorelines and the influence on the War for the Atlas map.
Very cool, thanks guys!
Alex: "John, I think this is a terrible idea..."

John: "THINK AGAIN!"
"performance comes first" liar! since 2.6 performance has gone down the hill nonstop
You have some nerve posting news like that when it is painfully clear that there are huge problems currently with the fps/lag spikes. I causes more deaths then the actual content. It´s suuuper frustratic blasting through the content and then dying because of stuff like that.
If your engine cannot handle it, then stop introducing stuff, that puts more and more monster at the same time on the screen. Map monster, Delirium, Legion, Crusader influence and much more can all happen at the same time.
I hope your engine will use GPU more than CPU
I don't understand why this game uses so much CPU for the display. I have a RTX 2070S and this game is the only one I can't display correctly.

PS: stop adding layers on layers of news features each league that makes everything became heavy and buggy as fuck.
Please make something clean even if that means to skip some leagues (specially if you have the same bad ideas as the last patches. I hate what the game became)
Last edited by Lyonnel on Apr 8, 2020, 8:21:06 AM
"
nubmoj wrote:
So this buff swole european dude who has phd in seismic wave propagation is leading your graphics engine upgrades ! Interstingly at 23 mins he says that poe can't do temporal reprojection unlike unreal engine - which basically translates to poe cant do volumetric fog and then you have your PR head saying just the opposite that delirium fog is all volumetric fog and will have minimal impact on performance ... well ... Which is it ?

Feels like poe 4.0 will inherit same performance issue as current one's . Don't really see how raytracing even is in picture for poe.

Also dude has nice energy thing going on for him.

Listen to this guy. He knows his thing...

Wondering the same question
For the love of god, just give us better video quality settings and make the game fps stable!
Bah. So much negativity here! I think Alexander and the rest of the team are doing an amazing job at creating a beautiful game. I remember what it looked like in beta, and it has come such an incredibly long way. Great job, guys.

An idea on how to silence all the people complaining here: Just add a "performance display" switch, which turns off every eye-candy aspect of the graphics.
Last edited by mats_mono on Apr 9, 2020, 9:46:35 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info