Evasion and Damage Reflection questions

Hey folks,

not sure if this is really the right place to post my question, but here goes:

How exactly does Damage Reflection work?
It says 20% of the damage the monsters receive is being reflected back to you.
Now, let's say I hit a monster for 100 dmg, 20 dmg is being reflected, but is this damage absolute, or will it be further reduced after armour/resistence calculation is done?

Also, in regards to damage reflection - is it a "skill"-type ability, or a "spell"-type?
I ask this because the wiki says evasion applies to normal attacks and offensive skills. Spells, however, can not be evaded. Is it possible to evade damage reflection?

I would like to know the game mechanics behind this, because I think it is fairly important for a Duelist who relies on Dex, which increases evasion. I've been thinking about different builds and now I don't know if I should rather stick to evasion, or go for the "no evade, no stun" stance (forgot name).

Thanks in advance (:
IGN: Darokh
This thread has been automatically archived. Replies are disabled.
You hit the monster for some amount of damage, affected by the monster's mitigation. 20% of the damage it actually took is reflected back to you, and affected by your mitigation.

Reflected damage is the same kinds of damage as your initial hit. If you hit with a spell, then the reflected damage is unevadable and only blockable by spell block. If you hit with an attack, it's evadable and regularly blockable, etc.
"
Mark_GGG wrote:
You hit the monster for some amount of damage, affected by the monster's mitigation. 20% of the damage it actually took is reflected back to you, and affected by your mitigation.

Reflected damage is the same kinds of damage as your initial hit. If you hit with a spell, then the reflected damage is unevadable and only blockable by spell block. If you hit with an attack, it's evadable and regularly blockable, etc.

Does this mean a build with the 75% block, acrobatics maxed dodge, and a good EV (and enough life, um thats a lot of skill points just to defense, but for example), you could make yourself almost immune to physical reflect from mobs (assuming your attacking)?

I am thinking for my facebreaker cyclone EV ranger, this might be something to make physical reflect far less scary, if i KNOW that 1/3 or whatever my EV is of my hits are not being reflected (I assume the entropy system is being used here to make my EV reliable), so I only need to lifeleech/lifeonhit/regen for the remaining 2/3 hits

"
Mark_GGG wrote:

Another question, whose accuracy will be used to determine whether or not my character evade the reflect damage ? I suppose its my char's accuracy.
Unviable build tester.
Fuse mechanics:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/21503
95% Crit Build Without Charges [0.10.1c]:
http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/172438
"
Another question, whose accuracy will be used to determine whether or not my character evade the reflect damage ? I suppose its my char's accuracy.

That is indeed another good question, I haven't even thought about that yet.
Hope somebody who knows replies to this (:
IGN: Darokh
"
Progammer wrote:

Also interested. I asked this elsewhere but didn't get an answer.

I'm expecting it's the monster's accuracy though. I'm using evasion and Resolute Techique and not receiving all reflect damage. Either monster accuracy is used or then it's mine but not my chance to hit directly.
Last edited by Ksielvin on Mar 23, 2013, 8:08:56 AM
"
Ksielvin wrote:
"
Progammer wrote:

Also interested. I asked this elsewhere but didn't get an answer.

I'm expecting it's the monster's accuracy though. I'm using evasion and Resolute Techique and not receiving all reflect damage. Either monster accuracy is used or then it's mine but not my chance to hit directly.

Also interested in the same question and would like a developer to confirm. Along the same vein as someone who has resolute technique, can someone using a Lioneye's Glare (hits can't be evaded)'s reflected damage be evaded or would it only be based on the target being hit's own accuracy (and thus can be evaded based on the player's own evasion rating against the target's accuracy rating)?
It should be mandatory for players to have a high level character (88+) and have done the highest level content before they are allowed to post comments about end-game content, end-game balance, and what's "OP"
Last edited by Athoy on Mar 25, 2013, 11:56:27 AM
So in terms of dealing with reflected damage:
* As far as I know, chaos damage isn't reflected. If you're going glass cannon and you're worried about reflect, you might want to try to make chaos work for you.
* If you deal physical damage, having armour is good. (Granites if nothing else.)
* If you deal elemental damage, having above-max elemental resist in your element is good. (Flasks can grant this temporarily.)
* If you are using attacks, having evasion, dodge and/or block are good.
* If you are using spells, spell block and/or Phase Acrobatics are good.

Here are some questions:
* Whose accuracy is used for reflected damage from attacks? If it's your accuracy, and you hit, does it trigger on-hit effects like elemental status ailments? Life on Hit? Puncture bleeding? Can you stun yourself this way?
* Is reflected damage still "your" damage in terms of life/mana leech?
* If you equip Added Lightning Damage support gem and it reflects back onto you, do you have an increased chance to get shocked? If you equip Lightning Penetration, does it reduce your lightning resistance in terms of the reflected damage? Do the sword passives that reduce enemy block rate reduce your chance to block reflected damage?
* How does reflected damage work with damage-over-time effects?
* If you attack with a projectile, and the damage is reflected, does Arrow Dodging factor into your chance to evade the reflection? How does Resolute Technique effect your chance to evade reflected damage?
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Mar 23, 2013, 11:39:04 PM
Answers to some of the above:
- On-hit effects (knockback, blind etc) aren't applied by reflect. Reflect is a mechanic that only works for damage. You can set up tests for this. Not sure if reflected elemental damage might still be able to cause status ailments though.
- I've seen a dev say, recently even, that burning damage can't be reflected. Puncture would also be easy to test if you wish but I'm convinced that degen doesn't reflect.

I'd also like to know about the penetration and arrow dodging. My evasion character does use bow with arrow dodging and my initial impression is that it is working on my reflect, though. We know that reflected attacks retain their "attack" status so that evade can work on them and hopefully they further remain as ranged/projectile attacks.
Last edited by Ksielvin on Mar 24, 2013, 4:35:56 AM
"
Progammer wrote:
The thing reflecting, at least for now. There's certainly an argument to be made for switching it to having the attacker evade their own accuracy.

Damage reflection (currently) doesn't and can't do anything other than damage. No on-hit or other effects of any kind. But the reflection system for damage is going to be redone at some point.
Last edited by Mark_GGG on Mar 24, 2013, 10:07:46 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info