You may want to avoid Wolcen

First of all, sorry for making another Wolcen thread, but it has just recently launched and I made the mistake of buying it, so I'd like at least to warn other people.

I sank a decent amount of hours in poe, just in the latest league, and I wanted to try something else, primarily beacuse poe's endgame tends to be a spamfest and either you find a gimmicky broken build or you're gonna struggle a lot against the conqueror's and more difficult bosses, let's not talk about the state of melee. So, since the different opinions about Wolcen weren't giving me a clear idea about the game, I decided to try it for myself.

First of all the good, since there's not much of it.

- The tactical aspect of the gameplay is slower, with skills that can be charged for improved effects. You're not forced to run ALL THE TIME.
- Active skills and basic attacks are well animated and take their time, which is something I appreciate very much.
- The passive skill try can be rotated at fixed points, so you can access more or less every passive no matter where you started. This is something I'd like GGG to experiment with. I'd go as far as saying that this was the only original thing about the game.

The bad, aka everything else.

- Everyone already talked long about the internet issues, but it's just a mild nuisance compared to the other problems.
- System requirements are suprisingly high. I get it it's 2020, but the game looks like a gloryfied version of dragon age: origins, but has the requirements of dmc 5.
- The combat is the best definition of clunky. Many times I clicked somewhere I wanted my character to go to, only to see it stand still, and god help you if you get surrounded, even in the early zones.
- It's IMPOSSIBLE to even right click isolated enemies to attack them, you hover the mouse arrow over them, their health doesn't even appear, it nearly drove me insane for how bad it is
- the vo and story is far from great, but poe is pretty mediocre in this aspect as well...
- the bugs come out of the walls, except when you kill them and they ragdoll away through those same walls. Either that or they zig-zag off the screen.
- the passive skills well, it's poe for dummies. simpler on paper but with just as much room for cheese. Change some words when you copy someone else's homework, christ!

It happened other times in the past, with same result: a game tries to copy everything that's already on the market and fails.
I suppose with enough support it can still become good, in some ways poe was like that but it was free dammit. Even grim dawn, which is was decently polished from the start, costed less.

Just avoid it until it gets f2p or recieves great improvements.ù
Peace.
Last bumped on Mar 14, 2020, 2:33:30 AM
name locking is a thing, the monsters hit box is large which coupled with the body blocking makes it very odd to get near to packs, latency (even 30ms) seems to be causing issues with flying monsters not being where they are supposed to be making then un attackable, and i'm not sure if it's latency or just poor skill queueing but trying to use flasks just sometimes dose not work, also had some pop up window pop in the middle of a boss fight (not good)
Also had a thing where something was blocking my progress, character just could not physically move along an empty path, could run back but trying to go forward and an invisible wall stopped me.
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Thanks for buying Wolcen, not supporting PoE, then coming to the PoE forums to launch a complaint thread about the game that is inferior, but you invested in.

Cool.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
Pulled the trigger on a new PC build. Gonna play Wolcen, POE and Grim Dawn all at the same time:

Wolcen will never be ftp, thank goodness.
Any signature worth using is against the rules. Therefore, no signature will be found here.
Last edited by The_Impeacher on Feb 17, 2020, 1:54:51 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:
Thanks for buying Wolcen, not supporting PoE, then coming to the PoE forums to launch a complaint thread about the game that is inferior, but you invested in.

Cool.

You don't get nice shiny soapbox forum badges for buying stashtabs. Just a thought.

To the OP. Don't know how long you've been around, but POE wasn't exactly a dream experience post beta. Took quite a few years to get to this point, and there's still many complaints on a myriad of fronts.
Yeah but you see, thing is, back when POE was a beta,there weren't that many contenders in the market were there? And the hack&slash genre was honestly on life support. It's like now releasing a call of duty type of game when you already have call of duty type of games, you need to bring something new,something fresh to the table to get noticed no?

But even back then,as a buggy mess as POE was,it still had more content,more depth then what wolcen has now. And I know, I was in the alpha, my only regret is that I forgot my pass and even my email for my old account, so I don't have that special "alpha badge" :) But still even this,my secondary account isn't that "new".

Wolcen does look gorgeous, to give credit where credit is due,the cryengine always looks nice,regardless what game you slap on it.

Unfortunately other than that,it has not much going for it. The story is meh,the content is meh,the bugs are annoying,the endgame content is...what endgame content? There is none, I know as I'm lvl 67 now, and I abandoned after the X number of doing the same crap,killing the same mobs in the same area.

Poe till this day has a ton of bugs, no defending that. However it does have content, and depth, it always had that. It did not have delve,or 10 acts kitava or any of that crap. But it had that something that "depth" that made you want to come back. Wolcen does not have that.
Last edited by Nosferat on Feb 17, 2020, 3:38:41 PM
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Cool.

I've personally gave PoE more than enough money. And, I already refunded Wolcen. They gave it to me even with 11 hours play-time. Crooks like Wolcen really dont deserve my money, so I got it back.
"
The_Impeacher wrote:
Pulled the trigger on a new PC build. Gonna play Wolcen, POE and Grim Dawn all at the same time:
Wolcen will never be ftp, thank goodness.

don't forget the video card or you won't be playing anything lol
"
Powertrip wrote:
"
DarthSki44 wrote:

Cool.

You don't get nice shiny soapbox forum badges for buying stashtabs. Just a thought.

To the OP. Don't know how long you've been around, but POE wasn't exactly a dream experience post beta. Took quite a few years to get to this point, and there's still many complaints on a myriad of fronts.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Dude came to the PoE forums to complain about Wolcen...just take that in for a second.

Then tells a story about how good PoE is in comparison, but apparently not good enough to support, while simultaneously complaing about the money they did spend on a complete other game.

Not only does this point not make sense, its targeted to the wrong audience, the wrong devs, and accomplishes nothing but head scratching.

Spoiler
also people that spend money on PoE, but dont get the supporter packs, boggle me. Why not get the essentially free mtx for the same cost as points?
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt."
- Abraham Lincoln
"
Nosferat wrote:
I abandoned after the X number of doing the same crap,killing the same mobs in the same area.

???
You have been doing exactly that for years, here. PoE already has his years, and therefore there is more variety in maps and mobs, but is basically the same.

You need to admit it. The good thing about PoE is not that variety of mobs or maps. It's how we kill those monsters. And in that Wolcen is light years away...
Bethesda is known for having good ideas and terrible realization of them. GGG is a Bethesda subsidiary or what?

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info