Finally some fresh competition

"
Johny_Snow wrote:
There are good F2P games and bad P2P games. So?

F2P = developers trying their best to milk as much money as possible from their costumers.

P2P = developers actually trying to make a quality product that will be bought.

It has always been like this and will always be like this. F2P is cancer designed to tug at your wallet.

I think the sad part to me, is games are continually blurring the line between to the 2 nowadays. More and more B2p games are being released with cash shops, season passes, and all kinds of things that are generally accepted in F2p games because they are F2p.
Yup, and we need to fight against this. Thankfully EA seem to have learned their lesson.
You just wanna complain, and feel exclusivity in the games you play. all the good F2Ps are superior and less cash grabby in every way. There's absolutely no benefits to a P2P game.

You have to pay more than would usually be put into a F2P up front, there's very rarely any support after that, and when there is it's small. Then you have to pay more for more content, and then you finish the game and have to spend 100+$ for a new one.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
A huge number of the F2P games are low quality cash grabs. You cant even argue this, you know its true. Go look for free games and weep.

just because there are several good and popular F2P games doesn't mean the whole genre is better. Or that F2P will be the future of gaming. Can you imagine that *shudder*.

And if you cant afford a P2P game you can always get a job you know.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
A huge number of the F2P games are low quality cash grabs. You cant even argue this, you know its true. Go look for free games and weep.

Because that's not equally true about P2P games.

"
Johny_Snow wrote:

And if you cant afford a P2P game you can always get a job you know.

As soon as I magically get a vehicle or a place to live within a few miles of a store I'd be happy to. Until then I'ma shred idiots in Fortnite until I'm a friggen monster.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
You cant even argue this, you know its true.

I love it when people pretend to know my mind better I do myself lol! xD
"
Johny_Snow wrote:
EA seem to have learned their lesson.

LMFAO!!!! This is the funniest thing I've read all day, or week, and likely even year!! :DDDD
Last edited by Exile009 on Feb 14, 2020, 6:19:42 AM
Not really competition, it has a bar to entry to new players in the form of a $30 purchase and i doubt they will be managing even close to PoE's content releases, what with Wolcen causing QQ over content promised for their kick starter not being present at launch.

Better than grimdawn for me at least
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Tbh, I don't have anything against Wolcen. But all these threads still annoy me. Why? Because this is an example of what is wrong with gaming these days - pre-order and Day 1 purchase bullshit. This what enables so many companies to so often screw us all over. Wolcen could end up being a good game. It could be trash. Either way, I'm happy to wait a few weeks or even months to find out. But all these release hype threads are showing me that even years after these practices started very few gamers seem to have learned that lesson.

I don't mind PoE having competition, in fact I welcome it. But I absolutely mind this kind of cancerous, impatient and short-sighted consumerism as hurting us all, including those of us who do wait and see (as it affects gaming publisher priorities and business models). To the extent that people post things like "Wolcen humiliated Path of Exile" and "Best game 2020" when it has just barely fuckin' released!

And yes, Wolcen's price hike upon release to encourage this behaviour is a definite red flag in that regard. But I'd still rather pay $45 for a game that I know is good (from doing my research i.e. check out a variety of reviews / user scores - AFTER release) than $30 for a game that could be trash.
And btw, this is the best kind of trailer for a game to have - https://youtu.be/NDFO4E5OKSE

The Wolcen trailer is good mind you, in that it shows actual gameplay (unlike some games out there), but it still only gives you an idea of what the combat is going to look like. It doesn't show any of the game's other features, which is especially important for a complex and depth-focused genre like ARPG's. The PoE open beta trailer (unfortunately PoE's subsequent trailers haven't carried on with this, including its own release trailer) shows you, complete with descriptive text, all the game's main features and draws - customizable skills, a deep item system, randomized zones, etc. It gives you, at a glance, an idea of what this game - the whole game, not just the combat - is about and what kind of development priorities the team that made it have (and hence will have going forward).

While Wolcen's trailer is nowhere near as annoyingly opaque as Blizzard trailers often are, it still pales in comparison to PoE's open beta trailer in my eyes.
Last edited by Exile009 on Feb 14, 2020, 4:08:57 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info