Wuhan China Coronavirus.

"
FCK42 wrote:
If the numbers are to be believed, then currently it has a lethality of about 2%. Since people like to look at other pandemics for comparison, the spanish flu had a lethality of 10% to 20% (the data is kinda murky on that one). So this virus is not only less lethal, we are also better prepared for it.

Alas ...

After todays news - Ill try and find the source.

20.000 confirmed in China with about 400 dead. That is exactly 2%.

Small number - unless you one of the 1 in 50. And multiplied over the billions on the planet well ... that's a number that doesn't bear thinking about.

-Matt
There are 10 types of people. Those that know binary, and those that dont.
"
elesham4ever wrote:

its not about living an entire lifetime in fear. its about these rare incidents when we need to exercise a higher degree of caution or make preparations for interruptions in things we'd normally take for granted.

like myself i stocked up on food and misc consumables like i do for every hurricane season. i got a months worth of food & water, can stretch it if i ration, it was easy to do and im going to use it all anyways so its not like i wasted money. if nothing happens then great but if my area has an outbreak then i dont need to go out for a while which mitigates my risk of exposure. plus most people wait till panic sets in to go shopping for supplies so even if i did want to risk going out there might not even be stuff left for me to buy.

the only abnormal stuff i bought to prepare was a case of n95 respirators and uv sterilight for my HVAC system which i always wanted anyways.

This, right there is living in fear. In the end it wont matter if things will go really shitty path.
Disregarding for the moment questions of virulence and contagiousness, what concerns me are reports that an individual infected with this strain of coronavirus can move around for quite a long time before evidencing any symptoms. With the more "dramatic" infectious diseases like hemorrhagic fevers (Ebola, et al.), the rapid onset of debilitating symptoms immobilizes and at the same time readily identifies carriers, who either die quickly, or are otherwise prevented from acting as vectors for the disease.

Even if it only makes people sick, the coronavirus could still put a strain on available medical facilities, potentially create breakdowns in socio-economic structures (if the guys who drive state to state with foodstuffs can't or won't go from point A to point B, localized food shortages can occur, with all the ugly consequences that entails), and could well disrupt workplaces both critical and otherwise. Even if we "have nothing to fear but fear, itself," that's plenty of good reason to be cautious, and to make at least some preparations.

Be sure you have stocked in anything you couldn't do without for at least a coupla weeks (including your own prescription meds), keep your gas tank topped up, and pay attention to the news. If there are reports (true or not) of outbreaks or fatalities anywhere in your region, be aware that other people's panic could affect you. ='[.]'=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
brb gotta buy some toiled paper
Last edited by elesham4ever on Feb 15, 2020, 11:55:51 PM
Last edited by elesham4ever on Feb 15, 2020, 11:55:55 PM
"
elesham4ever wrote:
CDC is now also saying the virus can be transmitted through the products of the digestive tract as well.
Well San Francisco is fucked lol

Edit: even worse than they were by that endzone ref on Sunday
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Feb 4, 2020, 1:03:51 PM
"
elesham4ever wrote:

/eyeroll no dude its just literally just buying the same food i would buy but instead of doing it over 4 trips to the grocer in a months time i did it all at once.

ive lived in hurricane regions most of my life we do this sort of thing once a year. the people who prepare are no worse for it. its the folks who wait till the storm is a day out and rush around trying to find gas, food, and water but theyre SOL cause its all sold out. those people might be afraid.

Lucky for me i live in very calm area of the world. Its not very good socially but it is very OK when it comes to different things. Also what life teached me that if it want to get You it will get You no matter what You do. We are not safe, we never were and we wont be. Its an illusion.
Last edited by de99ial on Feb 4, 2020, 3:11:36 PM
Last edited by elesham4ever on Feb 15, 2020, 11:56:00 PM
Just before the Coronavirus broke out Bill Gates was working with the Chinese CDC (I forget what they have there) on vaccines for other diseases. I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but Bill Gates is a strong advocate for population control.

P.S. I'm not back yet, I logged in to get my POSSESSID (Damn thing likes to just disappear on me occasionally) and decided to take a quick peek at the threads. I didn't even read past the first few posts in this one.

Edit: Didn't capitalize "Chinese".
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
Last edited by LV9999Majin on Feb 4, 2020, 11:11:06 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info