Auction house: Botting argument debunked

"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:

Any manual system offers no threat to the game economy the only problem comes from automatic systems that can be online 24/7

You mean like the Trade-API which exactly is the current case?

Yeah, remove that shit and instead make an in-game mechanic and surprise... you won't have the current shit-show anymore.

"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:

If other ppl didn't include scammers, price fixers, AFK/occupied people, spammers, toxic people who trade only to pick-pocket your maps, etc I would not have any problem trading with other people

Isn't that the point though? To keep people exploiting a system away from said system by integrating relevant measures to stop them?
I guess I've gotten something wrong then.. because that's exactly what GGG needs to do, which means they got to entirely change their view towards trade as the current system is just outright broken in this regard.
GGG balance is like getting a pizza which is burnt on the sides, raw in the middle and misses the most of the toppings.
Then upon sending it back you get a raw side, burnt middle and enough toppings to drench everything in grease.
Everything fixed but still broken.
"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:
"
Fruz wrote:
- If you seriously suggested puting capcha into PoE, right in the middle of playing it ... no, ffs no. holy shit no. Making tedious a gaming experience ? Do you realize how ridiculous that is ?

No one said captchas in the middle of playing I'm defending anti-bot measures only to buy items and tedious experience is trading in this game, to say the least

Buying item is inside the game, this is 'the middle of playing'.

What you consider trading to be is irrelevant, it's part of the game, solving captchas because you think it would solve anything even though it would get in the way of everyone playing trade league ( let's stop with the bullshit argument "you could still use the old trading system so you don't have to !!!", if captcha-AH ever gets there - it won't - and is better, people will use it and will have to to stay at the same level as others ).
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
so 3 types of bots came to my mind

farming bots
trade bots
sniper bots

farming bots
are generating currency/items much quicker than a regular human player can do so, devaluing lower curencies and all but top tier uniques/items (creating inflation). currently in the game and obviously something that should be removed. this kind of bot's ability to create currency doesn't directly have to do with the auction house.

trade bots are currently in the game but would be largely replaced by an auction house. so their very existence depends on whether there is an auction house or not.

sniper bots (different from trade bots who trade one specific thing for another specific thing and also in the fact they buy (so initiate the trade) instead of sell)) buy every instance of an item/currency that is sold at a certain value or less ("snipe" it). that obviously have everything to do with an auction house, in fact it's a function that could technically also be built right into the auction house interface, negating any need for third-party tools (i.e. an order functionality). could possibly be in the game currently (I at least can imagine how it would work)

so we see that some types of bots are just tools which would or could be replaced by the auction house. I think that means botting after all DOES have to do with an auction house and that one guy on page 1 just didn't use his head ^^
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Oct 22, 2019, 9:24:48 AM
benefits of an auction house

you can buy any item you need at any time if you have the currency

you can speculate on items, namely whether their price will rise or drop over time (in another mmo-like game I played which shall remain nameless, this was literally one of the most fun experiences I ever had in 30 years of gaming.)

you can snipe items below their price if you're lucky

you can collect things (1 of every card, a set of 20/20 gems or 1 of every unique, perfect rolls etc.) easily, adding a new element of gameplay to the game.

it's more modern than stone-age item for item trade

it would attract a slew of new players and definitely also increase retention.

it could replace rmt sites if ggg were to go for allowing in rmt themselves like diablo 3 did. it's not a must. but honestly one should be PAID for playing this tedious game, if only in cents.

---

disadvantages?

"game becomes easier". well up to a certain level, but then lack of currency will grind you to the same halt it does now. don't forget: ggg can adjust the difficulty however they want, so that is NEVER an argument. easy access to items would very likely increase build variety

"it will encourage botting". no, since (farm) botting is already prevalent and solely because ggg doesn't shut it down by making it a little bit HARDER. trade botting would likely be replaced.

"it didn't work in diablo 3". so I read that the d3 developers thought that people were spending too much time trading instead of playing the game and therefore removed the auction house (couldn't be out of financial reasons cause they took a cut of every deal... maybe out of legal reasons though, idk). certainly this argument doesn't work here cause what do the top players do in poe? sit in their hideouts and trade for profits all day long.

"but you suck noob" yeah if this is your argument don't even bother.

PS: and what's wrong with doing a captcha while a map loads. it might be something simple like a mouse gesture even, or one of those where you have to select all bridges (just take something in-universe instead of bridges, like "select all unique items among those 9 items)) not typing. just make it bot-proof and that problem is solved once and for all!
since I have no hope for significant game design improvements in this game I am officially done with Path of Exile. done for good
Last edited by LMTR14 on Oct 22, 2019, 9:48:25 AM
"
Fruz wrote:

Buying item is inside the game, this is 'the middle of playing'.

What you consider trading to be is irrelevant, it's part of the game, solving captchas because you think it would solve anything even though it would get in the way of everyone playing trade league ( let's stop with the bullshit argument "you could still use the old trading system so you don't have to !!!", if captcha-AH ever gets there - it won't - and is better, people will use it and will have to to stay at the same level as others ).

If you consider spending 5M searching for someone who is really trading and is not AFK/occupied, fice-fixing, etc then change instances to his hideout risking be scammed or pick-pocketed then go back to your hideout better than solving a 5sec antibot measure, there's nothing I can do for you
Last edited by CyberWizardB5 on Oct 22, 2019, 9:49:39 AM
"
LMTR14 wrote:

it could replace rmt sites if ggg were to go for allowing in rmt themselves like diablo 3 did. it's not a must. but honestly one should be PAID for playing this tedious game, if only in cents.

No, absolutely not, that's the main point I'll fanatically disagree with you on.

You're already getting PAID in enjoyment from playing the game. If it doesn't do that... leave, it's better to do it in that case as the main function of a GAME isn't existing anymore.

"
LMTR14 wrote:

PS: and what's wrong with doing a captcha while a map loads. it might be something simple like a mouse gesture even, or one of those where you have to select all bridges (just take something in-universe instead of bridges, like "select all unique items among those 9 items)) not typing. just make it bot-proof and that problem is solved once and for all!

Tedium.
A legitimate players should NEVER be punished for those who exploit a system.
OSRS was a great example of how it turned out, after implementing the need to do minigames or be disconnected, interrupting game-play heavily at times and nearly killing the game this lesson should be obvious.
Have you ever enjoyed doing a Captcha? I personally definitely didn't. It's a bother and other options are far better... especially since any reasonable Captcha can EASILY be handled by a bot. Hence bots would've even more of a superior standing compared to an actual human, no effect while actively punishing the legitimate people.

You can NEVER make a captcha bot-proof, if you do... it's usually already human-proof by design. It's just a slight bother for someone creating those bots to circumvent, but unless excessive amounts of resources are invested it will only slow down the existence of a functioning bot by mere days or worst-case weeks.
GGG balance is like getting a pizza which is burnt on the sides, raw in the middle and misses the most of the toppings.
Then upon sending it back you get a raw side, burnt middle and enough toppings to drench everything in grease.
AH is a fix for price fixers and afk people not bots.. and even then it would not entirely stop price fixing.

It would probably make botting even worse tbh.
Innocence forgives you
"

It would probably make botting even worse tbh.

Actually not.
In any other game I would agree with you fully, but sadly GGG has released their trade-API and thus allows bots to directly get all relevant data to work with.
Any form of pure in-game system is a lot harder to manage for a bot then the current situation, only because there would be lass data available to 'skip steps' the program would need to do first to achieve the relevant information.
"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:
risking be scammed or pick-pocketed

LOL

"pick-poketed" in PoE ... mokay

why was I even trying ......
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Oct 22, 2019, 11:18:02 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info