Auction house: Botting argument debunked

standard captcha wont stop well made autonomous bots or semi-autonomous bots as the operator will simply input the captcha and bam let the bot do its thing, one of those annoying picture captcha's might help with autonomous but they would need to rotate in new images frequently or the bots would be programmed to detect the pixels and automatically choose the correct ones too and the user operated ones would still be pushing past it.

puzzles wont stop semi-autonomous bots as they can be pushed past these puzzles by the operator and left to do their thing.

some bots are likely emulating player behavior so well that they are virtually impossible to detect via the data available to ggg.

i hate bots, i feel no envy for those at ggg who's job it is to get rid of them.

Auction house will only really help with price fixers and afk people, both of which would be nice to see some solutions to.
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on Oct 18, 2019, 5:59:03 PM
@SilentSymphony
Sorry but I think you are overestimating bots capabilities and underestimating the antibot measures

The simple macros you call "semi-autonomous bots" and anything else that needs human intervention are not a threat to the game economy, all they do is to make an answer a bit faster than normal, something that will be handled by the AH once it's implemented

The real threat comes from fully-automated bots that can buy anything below a given value so it can be sold later at a higher price but this kind of bot can easily be made useless by a simple captcha before each purchase

Simple captchas are much easier to program than you think, all you have to do is choose 3-4 random digits, change their color, font and background color convert it to an image and require the user to type them, quite an easy feat to any human and an extremely difficult one to a bot

Eliminate bots is much easier than you think you can believe me I know how to program bots and macros myself

"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:
Simple captchas are much easier to program than you think, all you have to do is choose 3-4 random digits, change their color, font and background color convert it to an image and require the user to type them, quite an easy feat to any human and an extremely difficult one to a bot

Such captcha is much easier for a bot than a human. Black Desert had something like that and humans had NO chance to buy anything valuable because a bot could recognize and type captcha way faster. I've made one such bot myself, and it took me like 2 hours to break the captcha even though i've never done something like that before. Easy captchas only benefit bots, difficult ones hurt everyone.

And even if your bot can't recognize a captcha there are always services that are happy to help for just $0.88 per 1000 captchas.

Last edited by LaiTash on Oct 19, 2019, 11:42:25 AM
@LaiTash
So you can program an OCR program, something that took several years of development and is not yet perfect in 2 hours?

And you can do it with a macro programing language with all its limitations?

Oh no, someone with that knowledge must be able to do this in assembly, almost in machine language itself!

Them you must be a genius able to build a game much better than POE in a few days, what are you doing here? Go make a fortune!

Or maybe you prefer to stop pretending you know something about programming and say BS!
"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:
@LaiTash
So you can program an OCR program, something that took several years of development and is not yet perfect in 2 hours?

Yes. I can. A wheel took thousands of years to invent but every kid knows how to make one. It's 2019 and there are libraries for everything.
"
LaiTash wrote:
"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:
@LaiTash

Yes. I can. A wheel took thousands of years to invent but every kid knows how to make one. It's 2019 and there are libraries for everything.

Oh, and what language did you use to make this wonder? Could you share a few lines of code with us?
Last edited by CyberWizardB5 on Oct 19, 2019, 2:52:26 PM
"
CyberWizardB5 wrote:
Oh, and what language did you use to make this wonder? Could you share a few lines of code with us?

Seriously dude it's not about me, and i'm not going to waste my time proving you anything. Anyone with a little bit of experience will tell you that "simple captcha" you're proposing won't even slow down people who make bots. More than that, they will be happy because it would give them a huge advantage over legitimate players. Difficult captcha won't slow them down as well because you can always pay for dirt cheap captcha solving services that use real people - no need for fancy algorithms even.
i don't think you understand the word debunked
Ancestral Bond. It's a thing that does stuff. -Vipermagi

He who controls the pants controls the galaxy. - Rick & Morty S3E1
Has anyone missed the fact that the OP's only char is SSF?

Kind of interesting he would argue for an auction house when he couldn't even be able to use one.
Sitting in HO spamming alts for 4 hours straight is peak PoE gameplay. Thanks, Chris.
"
lagwin1980 wrote:
i don't think you understand the word debunked

^This

I hope the OP didn't spend time thinking on this and we got baited.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info