It's almost 2020(Now its actually 2020) - Lets have Male and Female versions of all classes.

"
"
(...)

Most of the flak you are getting isn't that people don't want the extra choice, but rather that some of the reasons you give are really terrible.
I know girls have cooties, god forbid you ever play one of them... -_-

Great job reading the OP there(not)

You invalidated your own post by not reading OP, Better luck next time.

From OP
"
I can't imagine how much fun I'd have running around Wraeclast as a female Templar laughing my butt off at the lines as i kill my way through hordes of monsters

I'd prefer to play a male necromancer sometimes but that is not always the case with every character and build.

Innocence forgives you
Last edited by SilentSymphony on Oct 22, 2019, 3:34:38 AM
"
Great job reading the OP there(not)

You invalidated your own post by not reading OP, Better luck next time.

I did read the whole thread, thank you, and it often does feel that the intent is simply to allow players to get sheltered from playing characters of the opposite gender.

"
• Immersion

• Bringing in players who would have otherwise not given your game a fair shake.

• Attracting players to classes they might otherwise not have played.

Let's face it, when you put those reasons to add a gender, it does feel a lot like "I can't immerse in the character if it isn't of that gender", hence why you get a lot of flak about it.
PoE is targetting a mature audience, and if the reason a player can't be bothered to play it is because the character they want to play isn't the right gender, then they probably aren't mature enough to play it anyways.

PS: All that being said, I AM in favour of gender-swaps and/or extra characters and/or any start for the existing characters, even if only as MTX. Because the extra choice is good, and can indeed inspire to create new builds.
"

Let's face it, when you put those reasons to add a gender, it does feel a lot like "I can't immerse in the character if it isn't of that gender"

If many feel that way ( I don't think it's all about the gender tbh, but it definitely can matter ), then it's enough of a reason to be considered.

You don't feel that way, I don't feel that way, but some other people do.

"
Gui_Gui wrote:
PoE is targetting a mature audience, and if the reason a player can't be bothered to play it because the character they want to play isn't the right gender, then they probably aren't mature enough to play it anyways.

This has nothing to do with maturity, you are considering people who think differently than you as immature, you are being condescending if anything here.

SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Fruz on Oct 22, 2019, 4:58:39 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
"
Either way, not having a "gender" box at character selection isn't inconsistent with Wraeclast's universe, so I guess there's no problem.

Noone said or even implied that.
I know, I was just making this statement. Not everything is a rebuttal.

"
Fruz wrote:
"
I mean, fundamentally, character creation exists outside the universe anyway.

No it doesn't.
Dominus is literally telling you the story, you as a player, the reason why you are getting exiled.
This is the character creation and it is the game already.
It's a nice little bit of thematic contextualisation, and it hints at what your Exile went through, but it's clearly an abstraction, not a literal depiction of what's happening in the world. Seven prisoners standing around in a semicircle, armed, each running forward toward the player view (which is who, exactly?) and doing a little combat pose as Dominus reads some words about them, then stepping back when I click someone else, then stepping forward again and doing the same pose as Dominus repeats the same words as many times as I want? Nah. This is not in-fiction. It's a service to the player (read: me, the human being, not the character on the screen).

Were these actual people, they would also already have (relatively) sensible real-person names consistent with everyone else in the story, there wouldn't be a floating box hovering in front of them that assigns them the name DiscountLampshades or whatever I feel like typing that day. They aren't, in the fiction, having it decided by checkbox whether they're magically restricted to only fighting other Exiles rather than wandering Wraeclast like others can. Etc etc.

Character creation, by nature, does not happen in-fiction, at least not in any fictional world where people aren't just created out of thin air. It may allude to in-fiction events, objects, actions in order for the game to feel more coherent, but it's always on our side of the fourth wall.

[Removed by Support]
Last edited by Lisa_GGG on Oct 22, 2019, 8:18:52 AM
@Fruz this was not a strawman argument. If you use such terms at least know what they mean.

"

Can you deny that it might bring some new players to the game?

No, I can't and I didn't.

Can you deny that implementing it might backlash and lead to less people wanting to play the game? [Removed by Support] Yes, the reason might be stupid but there are people like that, people that pay money. Welcome to capitalism!
Last edited by Nichelle_GGG on Oct 28, 2019, 9:42:46 AM
"
SuperMotte wrote:

Can you deny that implementing it might backlash and lead to less people wanting to play the game? [Removed by Support] Yes, the reason might be stupid but there are people like that, people that pay money. Welcome to capitalism!

Uhhh yeah i think i can disagree that less people would play the game because of them adding this request within some reasonable level of logic.. so long as its worked how i said in the OP which would be over time while not abandoning issues that i agree and most others agree are more important.

And if someone who's spent a lot of money on this game actually quit over this.. That would be really reallly silly, I've not spent thousands of dollars on the game but even if i had you would not see me having a fit over them supporting this, Certainly had my own fits over some additions like the Arcane Spectre skin being a pretty obvious Stygian Variant but its not enough to make me quit.

There have been A LOT of threads on this topic.. I'm 100% ceartain that even if i were to disappear forever and this thread went with me the topic would simply return by another user eventually and this would repeat until the game either supports it or dies.

And i honestly hope this game never dies.
Innocence forgives you
Last edited by Nichelle_GGG on Oct 28, 2019, 9:43:09 AM
"
PoE is targetting a mature audience

ok, i truly laughed.

seriously, does anyone actually believe this? since 2013, the game steered away from "a mature audience" at every major patch. and ggg/tencent did so, too. ie: this forum and the laughable amount of censorship (i think ~40 posts were removed from this thread on page 1. that's not a typo or counting error. 2 were mine and they were boringly inoffensive. i kept checking page 1 and it kept finishing with different posts, entirely. for the first 2 days).

the game went candy crush lootsplosions with power creep that makes diablow blush.

the staff went out of their way to remove posts that might possibly hurt someone's feelings.

these aren't actions of those that target adults.
[Removed by Support]
"Your forum signature was removed as it was considered to be inappropriate and a breach of our Code of Conduct."

...it was quotes. from the forum. lolz!
Last edited by robmafia on Oct 22, 2019, 8:21:46 PM
"
It's a nice little bit of thematic contextualisation, and it hints at what your Exile went through, but it's clearly an abstraction, not a literal depiction of what's happening in the world

For all we know, it is literally what happened with rhe chaeacter.
It's a flashback (as you can replay it), and it's without a doubt part of the fiction.

The "you" that Dominus uses is clearly a sign that from this point, the player and the character are the same person.

"
Were these actual people, they would also already have (relatively) sensible real-person names consistent with everyone else in the story, there wouldn't be a floating box hovering in front of them that assigns them the name DiscountLampshades or whatever I feel like typing that day. They aren't, in the fiction, having it decided by checkbox whether they're magically restricted to only fighting other Exiles rather than wandering Wraeclast like others can. Etc etc.

Glad you brought that up, why do you think that the player can pick a customized name for her/his character ? (apart from technical reasons that could have been designed another way if needed)
-> so that the character can identify with the character
-> so that the player can feels that it is her/his own character ( not exactly the same as identifying but related )

And this does not make those characters less 'real' (or less 'actual people' as you say) to the player, quite the opposite.

"
SuperMotte wrote:

It's kind of rare to see such a weak argument lol.

PS : you missing the point does not mean that you did not try to beat a strawman
SSF is not and will never be a standard for balance, it is not for people entitled to getting more without trading.
Last edited by Nichelle_GGG on Oct 28, 2019, 9:45:58 AM
"
Fruz wrote:
It's a flashback (as you can replay it), and it's without a doubt part of the fiction.
Well, I don't agree with this reading. No big deal.

"
Fruz wrote:
Glad you brought that up, why do you think that the player can pick a customized name for her/his character ? (apart from technical reasons that could have been designed another way if needed)
-> so that the player can feels that it is her/his own character ( not exactly the same as identifying but related )
I don't know if it's intentional, but just for consideration, posing things like this as a "why do you think...?" question makes it sound like you're assuming some kind of teacher-student relationship where the person you're speaking to needs educating on the topic. Which is an odd choice when it's a new tangent.

To be clear though, yes, I agree, player-named characters have benefits for the player. It's just that I'm specifically discussing the structure of the work to support the idea that it's normal for parts of it to exist outside the fiction, as opposed to the question of "what are the effects on the player of each element of the design?".
"
Fruz wrote:
"
It's a nice little bit of thematic contextualisation, and it hints at what your Exile went through, but it's clearly an abstraction, not a literal depiction of what's happening in the world

The "you" that Dominus uses is clearly a sign that from this point, the player and the character are the same person.

"

And this does not make those characters less 'real' (or less 'actual people' as you say) to the player, quite the opposite.

"
SuperMotte wrote:

It's kind of rare to see such a weak argument lol.

PS : you missing the point does not mean that you did not try to beat a strawman

You still don't know what a strawman is. And the argument is not any weaker than claiming any significant amount of people will leave when they don't implement it.
Last edited by Nichelle_GGG on Oct 28, 2019, 9:47:16 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info