3.8.0e Patch Notes (restartless)

rhoa boss still goes invuln forever, just had it happen in t3 blighted excavation map
"
Strained wrote:

POE stores all its content into a single PAK-style file. This is convenient for loading assets as all the data is linearly next to each other so you can load chunks of assets into memory easily.

I don't think splitting the GGPK into say 5 files with textures, audio, video, game logic and other stuff would be any difference from one file.

Plus having one file doesn't always mean the data is linearly next to each other. Especially if the file gets copied and fragmented on the disk with each patch.

"
Strained wrote:

I doubt GGG wants to change their ENTIRE DATA LOADING STRUCTURE to fit steam.

Again, not that big of a change and many people would benefit from it. HDD users in Steam patching speed and SSD users in disk-wear.

However I'm afraid this is one of those "won't talk about it until we have a solution" issues for GGG.

Everyone praising them for their openness should keep in mind that it gets brought up in every patch notes thread for quite some time now and GGG has never acknowledged it in any way.
I guess it's either 1 or 48,000. Nothing in between, right?
"
JayFinch wrote:

I don't think splitting the GGPK into say 5 files with textures, audio, video, game logic and other stuff would be any difference from one file.

Plus having one file doesn't always mean the data is linearly next to each other. Especially if the file gets copied and fragmented on the disk with each patch.

By having it be one file, it is guaranteed to not be fragmented by the OS / hardware. That's the only reason you go with this approach.

People already scream about hitches when loading content, and that's iterating over a continous block of data. Can you imagine if you had to seek to some data on some 2TB platter that the OS decided to toss your textures to?

"
JayFinch wrote:

However I'm afraid this is one of those "won't talk about it until we have a solution" issues for GGG.

Everyone praising them for their openness should keep in mind that it gets brought up in every patch notes thread for quite some time now and GGG has never acknowledged it in any way.

Again, the solution is the stand alone client. If the issue there is the constant re-authorizing, then maybe integrating Steam Auth into the stand alone client (like the website now has) would help. I agree communication could be better around this so we aren't all just throwing stones in the dark.
"
Strained wrote:
By having it be one file, it is guaranteed to not be fragmented by the OS / hardware. That's the only reason you go with this approach.

I'm sorry, but being one file doesn't mean at all that the OS won't fragment it on the disk. Currently my GGPK is fragmented into 22 pieces. If I defragmented it now, the next patch would just create a new file wherever the OS seems fit, which would most likely be fragmented again.
"
JayFinch wrote:
"
Strained wrote:

I'm sorry, but being one file doesn't mean at all that the OS won't fragment it on the disk. Currently my GGPK is fragmented into 22 pieces. If I defragmented it now, the next patch would just create a new file wherever the OS seems fit, which would most likely be fragmented again.

Ah, you are correct.

"

Individual file fragmentation occurs when a single file has been broken into multiple pieces (called extents on extent-based file systems). While disk file systems attempt to keep individual files contiguous, this is not often possible without significant performance penalties. File system check and defragmentation tools typically only account for file fragmentation in their "fragmentation percentage" statistic.

I still think the "fix" here is to simply help make authorization on the stand alone client a bit friendlier, rather than changing data formats / structure.
"
Strained wrote:
I still think the "fix" here is to simply help make authorization on the stand alone client a bit friendlier, rather than changing data formats / structure.

You mean that people play on Steam mainly because of the authorization? And if it changed, everyone would play on standalone?

Except I suppose GGG benefits from so many people using the Steam client.
1) Steam handles the game download and patching, thus reducing the load (or bandwidth) of servers GGG has to rent.
2) Being on Steam gives the game visibility.
"
MFairfax wrote:
What the hell is wrong with you people. POE's grouping is the most rude and evil I've ever experienced in gaming.

You people make me sad to be a human.

Those aren't the PoE players we know.
Comparing Fortnites hit detection system (Does it hit and where)on one Target.

To PoEs (Does it have Unvavering Stances, what is it's evvasion, my accuracy, do I hit, is it a crit maybe even lucky, gets it dodged or even blocked, how much gets mitigated, is it imune to it, mob takes damage) on hundres of mobs several times per second.
rhoas still having immune to damage bug, lost so much currency and challenge completion to this. fix this already, dont say "fixed" when its not even fully tested... smh...

"fixed"

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info