Am I the only one who thinks @GGG doesn't care about the console community?

They only care insofar as the console versions provide a revenue but their sole focus is on the PC version. If the console versions died they'd not be too bothered, there are so many things wrong with console versions of Path of Exile they cannot devote enough resources to fix things, the console versions aren't important enough.
hardcore casual.

Playing PoE for years and having fun despite GGG.
"
Mrnickwan wrote:
Hey OP,

How many games have you made that run without issue?

Yeah didn't think so mate.

I had complications after surgery that put me back in the hospital. It was due to a bad surgeon. I complained about that... And, I've never performed a complicate surgery in my life! OMGZ!

The player/consumer has a right to complain about a product/service, even if they aren't capable of providing that product or service themselves.

"
I used to get annoyed when F2P games didn't work properly too but then I realised..... They're free, take what you can get. (MTX isn't a game cost it is a choice).

Where did you ever get the idea that this is a "Free Game?"

This is a "Free Marketing Application" for an online store that sells sparkly things and special tools that allow you to collect sparkly things.

That doesn't mean it isn't free and that it doesn't include a game. But, if you think that PoE is a "Free Game" and everything that would normally mean, you're not characterizing it correctly. It is a route to a marketplace that includes a "game."

The player's time is valuable for them. If they don't get what they consider to be a fair exchange for that, they have a right to complain. They just can't really complain about financial losses/costs.
I haven't spent a cent, and I'm getting tons of enjoyment out of it. Just because you wanted to spend money doesn't make it necessary.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
Mrnickwan wrote:
Hey OP,

I used to get annoyed when F2P games didn't work properly too but then I realised..... They're free, take what you can get. (MTX isn't a game cost it is a choice).

Nice. You got him. /s

Coming from someone who writes software in a much bigger industry at a much bigger company (and yes I have my name in game credits), even when it's free significant testing should be done; at a bare minimum you should test across all of your supported platforms - and at least ensure that it functions without significant crashes.

Blight does not function on PS4. Trigger one that's big enough and it's guaranteed to drop you to single digits for the duration (whether that's death and you're penalized or you fail). Forget to completely disable your sound and you will blue screen. That makes it seem like they either didn't test, or they (or those they report to) didn't care and wanted it out the door anyway.

You know the thing about "free" software is user experience is what determines how much revenue you'll make. And customers don't like software that feels non-functional. I'm not saying it is... it sort of works. If you don't care about sound or the league anyway. And I'd wager the average person would be taking part in both.
"
Mrnickwan wrote:
Hey OP,

I used to get annoyed when F2P games didn't work properly too but then I realised..... They're free

I doubt anyone has played a game that crashes more than POE, I know I haven't. This is the poorest performing game I've played this gen and that's not an over exaggeration. Multiple crashes a day, dropped frames tons of lag and I'm on ps4 pro. Why bother even releasing the game and asking people for money if your game is literally broken and content than cannot be played?
"
Yougotsonnend wrote:

I doubt anyone has played a game that crashes more than POE, I know I haven't.

Trove and Payday 2 both, at a point, crashed way more than this game. Trove was literally full blown broken for nearly a year, it was ridiculous.
Need a new signature, cuz name change. I dunno though. I guess this seems fine. Yeah, this is good.
"
Fhark wrote:
...xbox K&M support was added sometime ago its up to each individual developer to implement them , since some console games dont want k&m users having a significant advantage.

Thanks for that correction! I haven't used my XBox since it was implemented except for rejoining PoE with this League after skipping several Leagues. I had no reason to really check on that, but I don't think it was released with the usual Micro$oft "fanfare."

So far, it's only a handful of games that support it. And, likely due either to the reasons you suggest or games not really needing it.

https://www.windowscentral.com/list-xbox-one-mouse-and-keyboard-games

Maybe a little bit shorter than the list of XBox "Play Anywhere" games... Wow, all these "innovative" and "marketable features" sure do get a lot of work thrown into them, don't they? /sarcasm :)

Personally, I prefer a controller for ARPG games. I thought it'd be the opposite before I tried D3 on console, but I've come to really prefer it over K&M. But, in PoE... it's darn problematic in terms of the difficulties it can cause during gameplay. The "advantage" we get with direct control over our characters is more than adequately offset by the difficulties we experience.
They care up to a point. The fact is PoE on consoles isn't a priority. The community is too small to care about on the XBox and Ps4. The only reason the console versions exist is to provide an extra revenue. They care about that, not the console community.
hardcore casual.

Playing PoE for years and having fun despite GGG.
Just wanted to post another reply in case someone, somewhere, of some credible importance related to GGG happens to read it...

We are a captive community.

We are tied to a console when playing. We're a couple of button clicks away from buying something from the in-game marketplace.

At the hours when television feature-length commercials are airing, trying to sell viewers magical sponges or industrial glue they can build a cruise-ship out of, we're playing Path of Exile.

We are on our couches, engaging in bleary-eyed clicks and watching mesmerizing screen garbage with near hypnotic effects.

We're more vulnerable than a drunk co-ed...

We are the audience that is most likely to be "The One Percent" of Path of Exile. We don't alt-tab. There's no Twitter stream flying by. Steam doesn't remind us what our friends are playing. We are here, staring at a screen, hoping something interesting happens.

And, remarkably enough, some dumb shmoe decided to create a game console that handles everything a community manager of a game might possibly want it to handle. Imagine that? Everything in a living-room box that everyone in the family walks by every day is sitting there connected to Path of Exile!

Oh well, guess there's no reason for any sensible company to devote some resources towards exploiting that access a bit more, is there? Nope, no reason to think about the effects of certain game mechanics and how they might impact their console audience. No reason at all.

Meanwhile, back on the couch in the wee hours of the morning, an anonymous possible One-Percenter is staring bleary-eyed at the screen with their virtual wallet a few button mashes away... and to get patch notes they actually have to leave the comfort of this Golden Calf Prison in front of them to use their PC or smartphone.

5M@4T m@4Ke7i4G efF047 egGg!

:)

"Oh, I'm so bored sitting here at 4am playing PoE. I wish something exciting would happen. Wow, look, wtf I never knew cheap towels could be so darn appealing! Why haven't I ever noticed that before?"

"
Morkonan wrote:

Where did you ever get the idea that this is a "Free Game?"

This is a "Free Marketing Application" for an online store that sells sparkly things and special tools that allow you to collect sparkly things.

That doesn't mean it isn't free and that it doesn't include a game. But, if you think that PoE is a "Free Game" and everything that would normally mean, you're not characterizing it correctly. It is a route to a marketplace that includes a "game."

The player's time is valuable for them. If they don't get what they consider to be a fair exchange for that, they have a right to complain. They just can't really complain about financial losses/costs.

PoE is a Free-to-Play game. The term F2P allows for the fact that making money is still usually the primary purpose. Nearly all F2P titles in existance on all platforms have some kind of mechanic designed to make money.

What makes a F2P title a F2P title is that it can be played for free. It doesn't matter what other restrictions are in place, for example mobile games with thwir stamina systems and artificial roadblocks - if you could theoretically clear all content without spending a penny then it's F2P.

And the reality is, when you make a F2P game, a massive chunk of the audience will do exactly that: play for free, and refuse to ever spend a penny. If they hit a wall where spending is required, they stop and go find a different F2P game to play.

On console, we'll have an above average amount of underage players who literally have no access to a bank card. The cannot pay and will not pay, but will play because it's something to do. I haven't spent a penny on any gaming in the last decade and I'm an adult. Why buy a game when you can just download something and play fpr free?

F2P is kept afloat by the few whales who do spend. If they leave, it doesn't matter how big the free community is - they don't spend so don't matter.
Last edited by UnclePobatti on Sep 21, 2019, 7:38:01 AM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info