Animation Feedback

Hey just started the game :) seems great!!!
The first thing i noticed vividly and felt kinda annoying is the small latency for the hero to follow mouse movements. It feels chunky. Like u are playing with a d-pad... I think it should be more smooth and instantly follow the mouse pointer when u want to change directions.
Also why should we have so many bottle slots and not 1 for each bottle... 1 for hp regen and 1 for mana regen... :/ too many buttons just for mana and hp imo.
Anyways keep the great work guys :)
"
raic000 wrote:
Damn, and I recently made a claw witch to put some sense in that stooped FF9 Amarant-like posture :)

Nice, that actually makes a lot of sense haha :)
"
Nphyx wrote:
"
raic000 wrote:
Damn, and I recently made a claw witch to put some sense in that stooped FF9 Amarant-like posture :)

Nice, that actually makes a lot of sense haha :)

Oh, yeah, she looks very sweet, a real wildcat :)

Respect your passive skills and they shall respect you in turn.
I would like to see attack animations have at least 2-3 variations to create variety in terms of what we see on screen.
I have to say that posture and animations definitely played a factor in how enjoyable the early game was for me when I first picked up Path of Exile. Some of these were lacking and I ended up dropping some classes because I couldn't handle how bad the run animation was or how the duelist has a huge head compared to the rest of his body.

I think a great deal of care needs to go into something that a player will see repeatedly for tens of thousands of times or more over the course of their playtime with the game.

As previous posters have noted I did notice some of the stances didn't make much sense like the Marauder looking mentally handicapped and the witch like a feeble hag. However, out of all that the thing that stood out the most was the seeming lack of power in the skill ability animations themselves. For whatever reason, I don't get this crisp sense of strength and skill when an archer shoots a bow, or a fighter swings a mace. It just seems a bit clumsy.

I love your game, regardless. I really hope you look into this, though.
"The only prison you're in is the one you've created in your mind."
Last edited by HowitzerX on Aug 6, 2012, 5:09:15 PM
I know this will take time to be done but I would like you to note that the Frenzy attacks lack omph. I can't explain it really, but move like double strike seems to have that satisfactory solid thwack on contact. The critical hits are fine but the other one seems like you are attacking the enemy with a flyswatter.
"How would you like it if I snuck into your country and did this job over there... and not cash in any of your friggin checks?!! You WONT!! Because you will be right here!!" - Master Shake.
Last edited by Fartfinder on Aug 6, 2012, 3:05:29 PM
Great game so far. I'm having a blast. One of the things I've noticed is some of the animations feel... small.

For instance, when you are using a 2h hammer with the marauder and use double strike is just doesn't seem to be a "big enough" animation. The same goes for Heavy Strike. It just doesn't feel dramatic enough. They are both such awesome skills with such dramatic effect on the mobs, but they just look contained, small, and insignificant.

I typically stream my time on Path of Exile over Twitch TV and people keep asking me "are there spells in this game" while I'm playing the Marauder. I have to point out that I'm using 3 or 4 "spells" at a clip and then demonstrate them for anyone to believe me. What it comes down to is the abilities, while great in effect, don't have that visceral KAAABLAMO feel they'd have if it was a more dramatic animation.

I have to say, the 2h blunt animations are dead on when it comes to hand placement and mechanics. I really enjoy watching him swing away because I've spent plenty of time with axes and mauls myself and it's very genuine looking.

Now, with that being said, what I think would be a great addition to the animation would be variable speed. I feel like from the beginning of a swing to the end the weapon appears to move at a consistent speed. One thing I think would make them feel better would be to have them wind up slower and swing faster to give you the feeling of acceleration and lethality.

I've spent most of my time on the Marauder, but the running theme in my head when it comes to animations is that they are very well thought out and executed, but feel too subdued. A little more "drama" in the animations would greatly improve the feel. That means wider swings, bigger wind ups, faster swings (while maintaining the same overall attack duration), longer attacks, etc.

One other point I can't seem to formulate in my head properly, but I can feel it, is that it feels as if exiles... "float" for the lack of a better word. I can't "feel the ground" while I'm running around. It would be amazing if the petite footsteps of the witch contrasted with the heavy steps of the Marauder in some way. Or if the Shadow felt more quick and nimble even when just moving around than say the power and resolute Templar. As it stands right now everyone kind of "glides" without any real concept of athleticism. Like I said before, I really can't put my finger on exactly WHY it feels like that, but I'm guessing it's a combination of a lot of things and not an easy fix.

Again, thank you so much for the amazing game. I can't wait to watch it grow!
Running animations are very very unconvincing. It seems like theyre taking a casual jog on a treadmill with foam weapons. They dont run with urgency and they always have perfect posture. Its similar to everquest 1 and makes the game feel very dated.
I know a lot of people are transitioning to PoE from D3(because well....D3 was a decade long let down. I know the engine you guys use is limited compared to Blizzards multi million(Billion?) dollar game but future efforts in the Animation department should be geared towards making combat feel impactful like D3.

If they are praised for anything it should be how the combat felt and flowed. For a game in Beta it blows me away what you guys have accomplished in terms of depth though.

Keep up the good work!
Yes, I am both a Magician and a Wizard.
This may seem as a non-important needed update but I think you should take a good hard look at the running animations. I think they are awful and feel really uncomfortable.

The monster animations seem pretty smooth so far and nothing I can complain about/that bothered me.

I have only played this game for one night (One whole night that passed really fast) so I don't have any good gear yet. And as has been mentioned by some people: The animations are supposed to feel better when you run faster and so on.
But still, I would like to feel like a real person and not a robot even in the early stages of the game!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info