Animation Feedback

"
Killas900 wrote:
Melee attack animations need to be tuned to be more in line with how Heavy Blow currently is - a big, rapid swing with the character's weight behind it then a short follow-through animation.

This gives the illusion of speed and force. For example, in DotA2, Spectre used to have an attack animation much like how it is in PoE - she swung her energy disk at a constant speed, there was no acceleration for impact and transfer/loss of force in the backswing. Her attack felt weak. It scaled well late game, but for much of game it just looked like she was just flexing her arm back and forth, not slaughtering enemies. Then Valve simply tuned her animation to have that sense of impact, and now she feels much more powerful.

I hate to use Dragon Age 2 as an example, but they took that idea to the extreme, having a swift, forceful attack animation and a pause made combat very visceral and interesting, as opposed to Dragon Age: Origins which had a much slower pace with it's slow animations.

I believe that adjusting the animations to be focused around that point of impact would increase the pace of PoE and make it feel much more visceral and violent.

yep agreed. i'm in the process of doing this now it's a rather sizable job so won't be implemented for a couple months. the main issue was that the idle stance was awkward and it was difficult to get a nice attack loop out of it but i think the new stuff is a big improvement.

thanks for your thoughts
animator
Ari I believe in you!
"
Neonexe wrote:
Ari I believe in you!

haha thanks!!
animator
With all that said, every 24h I log back in and I continue to be amazed by how satisfying the combat is.

Keep trucking! And remember to sleep o_O
"
Ari wrote:

yep agreed. i'm in the process of doing this now it's a rather sizable job so won't be implemented for a couple months. the main issue was that the idle stance was awkward and it was difficult to get a nice attack loop out of it but i think the new stuff is a big improvement.

thanks for your thoughts

This is great news!
Something has been bugging me since I started playing PoE back in September... The "Spawn." You know, the critters that form large piles of cold calamari around you as they die?

Their attack seems... Too much like an attention-hungry puppy. Any day, now, I expect to encounter a rare Spawn named, "Death-Nuzzle the Affectionate."

Being nose-bumped just doesn't inspire the terror I would imagine at being swarmed by a wave of them. Perhaps a latch-on and jerk away motion, like a shark tearing into a whale carcass, would be more evocative of the horror of these creatures?

Just sayin'... =^[.]^=
=^[.]^= basic (happy/amused) cheetahmoticon: Whiskers/eye/tear-streak/nose/tear-streak/eye/
whiskers =@[.]@= boggled / =>[.]<= annoyed or angry / ='[.]'= concerned / =0[.]o= confuzzled /
=-[.]-= sad or sleepy / =*[.]*= dazzled / =^[.]~= wink / =~[.]^= naughty wink / =9[.]9= rolleyes #FourYearLie
I've noticed that the healh/mana/shield regeneration looks choppy, it isn't fluid. It would look much better if the orbs would fill the way a wine glass would fill with wine/water.
The art and style is really impressive and I actually prefer it over the cartoonish or overbright styles used in other games that shall not be mentioned. Also great gameplay from what I've seen so far.

Zombies hit by fire spell: The monster animations when getting hit by the witches fire spell (specifically the zombies at the start seems noticably delayed).

Animations on missing an attack/spell: There is no visual feedback or ques (from what I've seen) if an attack misses for the witch and ranger (Only classes I've played so far). Arrows still hit most of the time for the ranger and spells still seem to hit as well.

Tooltip Bug: When mousing over items on the right hand side of your inventory if you move your cursor around on the item the instructions on the tooltip in white on how to interact with the item (Right click, shift click etc) seem to move or vibrate. This only seemed to occur if the tooltip was touching the right hand side of the screen and did not happen on currently equipped items.

White Rectangle: Moving between areas is fast, and I like that. The flat white box when mousing over an archway, gateway or doorway treaveling between areas looks really weird. A tooltip, glow effect or lower opacity would look better.

Forum Login Remeber Me Checkbox: Also this probably isn't the correct forum but I'll post it anyway. Clicking the 'Remember Me' label/picture when logging in on the website does not tick the checkbox. (This is a personal checkbox peeve of mine and not really all that important).
Last edited by crimsonfalcon on Jul 22, 2012, 11:21:00 AM
Just saw the new animations for critical strikes. Hitting skeletons send bones flying in the air. Zombies make a big blood splatter. That looks awesome!
I just want to say that I've been very impressed by the animations in this game. They're very good! So many little details to see everywhere.

I started thinking about this when I watched that big, green rhoa in the Mud Flats (forgot its name). It's just one random mini-boss, yet it moves to well.

Same with the big crab in the Flooded Depths. Disgusting, but so well animated.

Really great job, guys.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info