Animation Feedback

We'd like to know all you have to say about the animations in the game - both character animations and monster animations. Is there anything that sticks out as unnatural or bad compared to the rest? Is the way certain weapons are used just unrealistic? Are any animations or actions too long or too short?

And any other comments of course!
Omnitect of Wraeclast
Last edited by Erik on Feb 15, 2018, 10:35:52 PM
Last bumped on Aug 25, 2017, 1:51:49 PM
thanks, some well thought out feedback.
animator
Crab shell throw animation - noted, this will be sped up.

Extra awesome critical hit animations might be something to consider - perhaps for the purchasable animations later.

Camera shaking - we probably have to be careful about this one as it very easily can be annoying to play with. On the other hand, adding will definitely be done!

Another thing to note is that we likely will implement something that cuts away the last and first few animations between consecutive attacks. This will hopefully make combat both better looking and faster in general.

Asukhama: The thing you are talking about with the weapon stiopping as it hits is actually something that is intentionally made on some animations to help make the contact felt more. The attack sweeping through is in many some cases preferrable, but its harder to get that visceral impact feeling using that, especially for attacks that are supposed to be rather simple and basic.
Omnitect of Wraeclast
hey,

LoJackATK- The 2h attack animtions have been punched up it'll be coming in the new art patch. part of the reason their slowish at the start is a balance thing but i've tried to make the timing less even and exaggerate the anticipation more. the reel back thing is something we've worked on but it's quite hard to implement so it'll probably come in down the line as the animation system gets more sophisticated
animator
No worries, thanks for the thoughtful feedback
animator
thanks for the great feedback,

scyko42,Arkwright, the goat bug has been noted and is on the list to be fixed. limbs being cut off is something that might be added on but not for awhile
hydris- the character selection animations i'm not happy with over all but we're going to have to wait to get a rig overhaul before getting a chance to improve them. the witch one specifically is tricky because it's kind of hard to to convey 'magicalness' without effects etc.

thanks again for the encouragement and feedback
animator
Last edited by Ari on Sep 30, 2011, 5:16:54 PM
Kotli- Thats a nice idea but logistically its quite complicated.
animator
"
eNTi wrote:
the duelist feels like he's got no gravity working on him. you should really try just to watch normal people do what you are trying to animate, to make it look real. no one ever sings a sword like that and also not always in the same fashion. there needs to be a bit of randomization. blizzard always did a fantastic job on character animation. especially movement. that's the way to go. there's some basic physics in the movement and it seems you pretty much ignored that.

from what i've seen this is ESPECIALLY bad in the character seleciton screen. every character moves completely effortless. there's not enough breathing and weapons should be heavy. at the moment, everything seems to be of the same weight.

thanks for the critique. The animations are a constant work in progress the duelists animations are currently being revised.
animator
Notajoo: This is on the list to do! The character creation screen will also get a subtle outline highlight as you hover the characters, and a bit more of a prison theme going on very soon.
Omnitect of Wraeclast
"
Entelechy wrote:
Hi everyone, first post on the forums here :)

I'm lvl 17 now and quite enjoy the game so far. But what's been bugging me the most up until now where the animations, or the lack of.

Animations can make for a lot more than graphics, and to me matter a lot more then a nifty 3d-engine with cr00zy effects and stuff (forcing me to buy a new PC °_°).

That being said, I haven't been enjoying my duelist as much as I could have. A few variations in attack- and skill animations would help a lot.

As it is now, the characters feel... stiff. The running, the attacking, the switch between different animations... everything feels kinda storky (is that even a word?)
Because, in the end, the thing we will be looking at for 99% of our PoE time is our chars, and thus I feel they should look as good as possible.

Also the boss of Act I (Marv...?) reminded me a lot of Diablo II's Andariel... by moving as crappy as she did, 10 or so years ago 8[

Hope I didn't sound too harsh :)

Edit: Oh, one more thing! Great job on the tentacle-things in the passage in Act I! They're moving so damn snakeish, they're giving me the creeps! And they continue to do so when dieing and they always come in swarms and everything's twisting and twirling and gah! Can't even think about them!

we're going to be adding more attack variations whenever we have the time. recently there where maul and staff attacks added and sword attacks where punched up as well as spell cast animations changed to a few characters but it's something that is always being polished.

The Duelist has been the character that has got the most critisim so we are currently doing a full re rig and an extensive animation upgrade. the change between animation thing is a big expensive problem that won't be able to be fixed for sometime unfortunatly.

I'm aware of how important animation is to the look and feel of a game and that more content makes a big difference but there is a whole lot to do and i'm just one guy so bare with me while we get everything upto scratch.

Thanks for the feedback it's always appreciated

animator

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info