[3.8] Ultra tanky Ball Lightning Guardian | CI 11-15k ES | 3-5m Shaper DPS

What's up guys, it's me again :p. After devastating nerfs for my howa jugg build i decided it's time for something else. This time it's not going to be as complicated and expensive, but this build is very powerful as well, with higher investment numbers it can achieve are absolutely crazy, so i hope you will enjoy trying it out.

I have to say that this is not a good league starter, it will probably be way better as a secondary character. Items required are not expensive, but impossible to get very early in the league (presence of chayula, for example). I'd say if you have 2-3ex, you can go for it.

Allright let's go

Pros/Cons

+ VERY tanky
+ Very good damage
+ Good clear speed and aoe
+ No mana recovery problems
+ Flexibility, you can go for either more dps or more ES
+ 45% curse resistance (curses don't do much at this point), crit damage reduction
+ Can do any content in the game easily
+ Good for delve (depth 600 with good eq won't be a problem)
+ Numbers can be pushed really high with very good eq

- Can't do ele reflect and no regen maps

Spoiler
Huge buffs basically. More damage (about 20% or even more with the same eq), more es (about 700-800 for free), more armour, more mana regen

Stream
Spoiler
Currently streaming league of legends, but will probably play poe in the future as well

https://www.twitch.tv/carnarius_v2

Videos

Mechanics
Spoiler

Build is not really complicated. We use few different mechanics to stack as much damage and tankiness as possible.

For damage, we go for low life with shavs and stack every damage aura possible (well, except for haste). That with some damage nodes on the tree will give us plenty of damage, with good gear even up to 4m shaper dps

For defence we try to stack a little bit of mana which will solve 2 problems at the same - give us a lot of es and mana regeneration. With 5k mana we will never have problems with it, which is great for a mage. Mana will also provide great amount of armour (memory vault helmet), that will solve physical damage problems completely and provide huge shield from molten shell. Also we have critical damage reduction and curse effectiveness reduction, both very useful additions. Nearby enemies cannot gain charges from guardian ascendancy is amazing for deep delving

For leech we have Light eater passive which gives us spell leech and 20% more recovery, we get another 20% from belt, so 40% more total recovery which is very powerful. Also we have a lot of regen thanks to Time of Need ascendancy passive

Items
Spoiler

Self explanatory, weapon with as much cast speed, spell damage and lightning damage added to spells as you can find/craft. Budget options are doryani's catalyst or heartbreaker (with spell damage corruption), both solid options

Mandatory item, allows us to make it a low life build without worrying about chaos damage. You don't need a corruption, 5l shavs will be enough to clear all the content if your budget is very low

Crazy strong shield for low life builds and very cheap, allows us to run 3 high mana reservation cost auras and provides 37% to all res

Good old shaper's touch, very strong ES boost and it's easy to get corrupted ones. For lower budget buy +1 gems shaper's touch and use enlighten 3. For higher budget go for enlighten 4 and different corruption (+1 frenzy charges/+2 aura)

This belt is amazing. A lot of cast speed, cooldown recovery speed for molten shell and flame dash, 20% more recovery and summon that is actually pretty useful (immortal, it grants 20% more action speed buff, around 50% uptime). Cast speed corruption is probably the best

Just boots with movement speed, high es and resistances. You can also use greedtrap boots (16% quantity), but you will probably have to use purity of elements instead of purity of ice

Must have. Provides absolutely massive armour if you invest into mana, also very high es

Mark of the shaper is probably the highest dps ring you can get, also provides es. Second ring doesn't have to be good, just make sure you have maxed out resistances with it. After that whatever you can find, intelligence, strength, mana, flat es. Make sure it's elder base, otherwise mark of the shaper is not going to work

You pretty much have to get this amulet, stun immunity, very good es, 60% chaos res which allows you to completely ignore that stat, really good

Jewels:
Obviously watcher's eye is not necessary, but they are kinda cheap after massive es nerfs, so mana -> es clarity watcher's eye shouldn't be a problem. For higher budget try to get wrath lightning penetration/damage as well. Other than that, healthy mind (doesn't need to be corrupted) and rare jewels, look for these mods: lightning damage, cast speed, intelligence, strength, all attributes, %es

Flasks
Spoiler

Quick explanation of flasks - since it's a pain in the ass to balance resistances, my strategy is to just make sure that i have more lightning resistance than fire and use vinktar's and wise oak at the same time. Otherwise i don't use wise oak, because it won't work with extra fire res from dying sun. So pretty much use dying sun + utility flasks all the time and then pop wise oak + vinktar's when you need more damage. Remember that vinktar's going to shock you, we don't have resistance for that (except for time of need)

Bandits
Spoiler
Kill all, most definitely the best option

Pantheon
Spoiler
Solaris - crit protection and aoe dmg reduction
Yugul - cold damage reduction great for both uber elder and delve

PoB
Spoiler

My legion character, but updated for Blight league - https://pastebin.com/Qi0mem1e

NOTE - Take Crusader or Tranquility as your skill in amulet, whichever will provide more damage for you. For me they both provide about 11% more damage

NOTE - damage for ball lightning is much lower in PoB, ball lightning with slower projectiles and good amount of extra aoe hits enemies around 10 times, so you should multiply your damage by that amount (more or less). Extra damage from Arcane Capacitor node is not shown and that's a lot of extra damage

Last edited by grizzly40 on Sep 25, 2019, 9:06:40 AM
Last bumped on Jul 4, 2020, 8:04:57 AM
Reserved
Hello Grizzly, what do you think, is it viable for really deep delving, I mean 1500+?
"
XKent wrote:
Hello Grizzly, what do you think, is it viable for really deep delving, I mean 1500+?

Definitely not, it's a build that will carry you through all content easily. For like super deep delving you will need a different build. Although i will say that this build can probably reach 700-800 depth
I am following this build for some time now, got all the needed gear, not min maxed, but descent, and I must say it is one of the best build's for me. I love tanky but slow paced gameplay more than a fast glass cannon, and this build can take lots of butchering. Loving it!
Besides Ball Lightning, any other spell can work?
"
DanielQ wrote:
Besides Ball Lightning, any other spell can work?

Sure, but the tree will be different of course. Also ball lightning is easily one of the highest single target dps spells in the game with good aoe at the same time, underrated spell in my opinion
Added items section, will add flasks today as well
I'm confused, why just purity of ice?

Also isn't conductivity better than Ele weakness here? :o

edit: Is it just to gain more resistance to freezes and chills? or are you in your uber elder perma build :p?

I'm currently collecting all the items,
I'm so fed up of getting OS offscreen, I'm back to my first love guardian baby and Ball lightning looks insaaaane with slower proj + 30kmore ehp under vaal ms whaaaaaat say no more i'm gonna
I'm thinking for additional dmg a +1 curse with :

- ele weakness curse on hit on shaper's touch AND a curse on hit orb of storm conductivity or cwdt conductivity???

edit :

ele weakness curse on hit on shapers touch
conductivity linked to herald of thunder curse on hit !!

OR, lel...

wave of conviction curse on hit : ele weakness + conductivity for a gross - to lightning res

edit 4, lel lel lel lel :

With the mark of the shaper with take an elder malakai artifice and socket herald of purity for an additional -50% lightning res :D
Last edited by Fullrom on Jul 13, 2019, 9:54:23 PM
"
Fullrom wrote:
I'm confused, why just purity of ice?

Also isn't conductivity better than Ele weakness here? :o

With my current gear i have enough resistance to not use purity of elements, so obviously it's better to just use purity of fire/ice/lightning for max resistance bonus. I chose purity for ice, probably the most useful one (uber elder, delve).

Conductivity gives the same amount of -res as 20% elemental weakness, there is no difference

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info