(Retired Thread) Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems

Hey folks,

This thread is being retired & closed since I no longer had room to update the guide within a single post.

Please see the new thread for this guide:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2685450

Thanks!
Last edited by Sarah on Dec 5, 2019, 3:16:34 PM
Last bumped on Dec 5, 2019, 3:20:27 PM
Getting a little bored of softcore, I think I'll use this build for my HC starter build. Nice write up!
"your gem link priorities after taking Ancestral Bond should be Spell Totem -> Freezing Pulse -> Arcane Surge -> Controlled Destruction -> Faster Casting -> Added Cold Damage. Whatever you cannot fit into your actual main link, you should try to level in other gear slots as you'll be using these gems for the rest of the game."

Arcane surge doesn't support totems
"
myprism wrote:
"your gem link priorities after taking Ancestral Bond should be Spell Totem -> Freezing Pulse -> Arcane Surge -> Controlled Destruction -> Faster Casting -> Added Cold Damage. Whatever you cannot fit into your actual main link, you should try to level in other gear slots as you'll be using these gems for the rest of the game."

Arcane surge doesn't support totems

Yeah, not sure why I put Arcane Surge in that link. I'll just remove it as I don't think people will have above a 4-link at that point anyway. Thanks for the catch.
Added a couple videos for The Shaper and the 4-Emblem version of Domain of Timeless Conflict. Shaper was pretty trivial (other than perma-freezing mini-bosses who were trying to phase), and managed to rack up 24 generals in the 4-Emblem Domain encounter. I'll add an Uber Elder kill whenever Elder decides to cooperate again.
Thank you for writing this build. It came at the right time. I played melee char ( EQ slayer) but its annoying .. Its better for me play as totem hiero :)

Now i am leveling char, selling my gear (i will have +- 12ex) ... looking forward for better and safer play for me.
"
HELLERcz wrote:
Thank you for writing this build. It came at the right time. I played melee char ( EQ slayer) but its annoying .. Its better for me play as totem hiero :)

Now i am leveling char, selling my gear (i will have +- 12ex) ... looking forward for better and safer play for me.

Nice, good luck mate. That much currency will get you into a pretty strong setup for this build I think.

Elder decided to show up before I logged off so I got after him and finally got that fight deathless. Only killed him a handful of times last league but was annoyed he managed to kill me at least once every time.

Not sure what other videos to add for this build, other than maybe a 5-emblem Domain whenever I get the Maraketh splinters together again. It should do okay in there judging by the 4-emblem performance (though not going to impress anyone running around with a Headhunter in there).
Hi, first of all thanks for your guide!
This is my first FP build and I don't know the mechanics very well. I know that the damage falls off as the projectile travels. Is this really important? Do I have to put the totems just in front of yellow and unique mobs?

The cycle of life and death continues. We will live, they will die.
"
Pesgamer10 wrote:
This is my first FP build and I don't know the mechanics very well. I know that the damage falls off as the projectile travels. Is this really important? Do I have to put the totems just in front of yellow and unique mobs?

Both the damage and base chance to freeze go down as the wave travels. That is part of the reason for all the projectile speed bonuses; the wave will travel much farther in the same amount of time, so at the same distance from an enemy it will do more damage.

Against really tanky bosses you will want your totems closer if possible, but it isn't that vital to be honest. As you get more and more projectile speed distance becomes much less of a limiting factor. Quality on your Freezing Pulse gem is vital for this reason. Even early game it isn't something you need to be very thoughtful about.

I'll upload a video of a T16 map clear to give you an idea of what it looks like in general mapping (in high end gear anyway). For the most part totem placement isn't even relevant because the projectiles will travel so fast that they are shooting off-screen.
"
Wallach wrote:
"
Pesgamer10 wrote:

Both the damage and base chance to freeze go down as the wave travels. That is part of the reason for all the projectile speed bonuses; the wave will travel much farther in the same amount of time, so at the same distance from an enemy it will do more damage.

Against really tanky bosses you will want your totems closer if possible, but it isn't that vital to be honest. As you get more and more projectile speed distance becomes much less of a limiting factor. Quality on your Freezing Pulse gem is vital for this reason. Even early game it isn't something you need to be very thoughtful about.

I'll upload a video of a T16 map clear to give you an idea of what it looks like in general mapping (in high end gear anyway). For the most part totem placement isn't even relevant because the projectiles will travel so fast that they are shooting off-screen.

Thank you very much for the explanation! Looking forward for the video
The cycle of life and death continues. We will live, they will die.

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info