(Retired Thread) Wallach's Hierophant Freezing Pulse Totems

You raise good points and as you say, a lot of 3.9 will be wait and see. I was planning on trying something new in 3.9 but i think i'll stay with this build. It's solid and will work well with the gear we can get. Min max is quite likely out the window tho in 3.9 at least for average players like me. Atari shields could also be hard to come by. Meta builds could struggle making them very pricey.
What is the feasibility of using frostbolt in this build instead? I really like the skill...
PoB seems have damage within 15k which isn't bad considering that's like... 1%?

The biggest difference is the projectile speed which honestly will never be anywhere near Freezing pulse.

As for loss of shaper items, it makes the build a little weaker, but i'm not even using those now and its pretty decent still.
"
boris_37 wrote:
What is the feasibility of using frostbolt in this build instead? I really like the skill...
PoB seems have damage within 15k which isn't bad considering that's like... 1%?

The biggest difference is the projectile speed which honestly will never be anywhere near Freezing pulse.

As for loss of shaper items, it makes the build a little weaker, but i'm not even using those now and its pretty decent still.

In terms of paper damage, it's not much lower than Freezing Pulse. In practice, it's more just a question of why, I guess. Sometimes "because I want to" is enough to go that route. I can't think of any practical advantages though, to be honest; Frostbolt is a bit married to Ice Nova currently in terms of real purpose.
Beautiful

Also, what about using a Elegant Hubris timeless jewel with Chitus keystone?
You could put it in the small wheel with +6% ele dmg nodes, affecting Avatar of Fire (gets converted to Supreme Ego which gives you +50% more effect of aura) and you can grab the notables below (Agility and Might) that will be converted to something else, in my case +15% to cast speed and +30% increased effect of chill
Seems like a good tradeoff, since it doesn't affect any other useful notables
Last edited by KekuLiao on Nov 22, 2019, 8:36:47 PM
Also the best corruption for the Soul Mantle chest is +1 to all gems, since it raises ALL socketed gems +1, Empower too meaning Empower now gives +1 additional level to FP
Now all gems in the chest are 21 (or 22 if you had lv21 supports) AND Freezing Pulse is lv26, the same as it would be with the old +2 to proj gems corruption

Last edited by KekuLiao on Nov 23, 2019, 1:11:28 PM
ALSO why not use a Brutal Restraint jewel (replacing the Elegant Hubris)? It gives a ton of dexterity, and it can give crit, ele dmg, life, proj dmg, cold res and so on.
You can socket it on the slot next to Instability, and it will grab a lot of notables to add mods.
Personally, i'll grab this jewel and replace the rare ring with a Mark of the Shaper, since i got a Elder Essence Worm
Last edited by KekuLiao on Nov 26, 2019, 11:55:56 AM
Sure, you should take +1 gems over +2 projectiles if you are buying your Soul Mantle instead of corrupting your own. I don't really recommend that though given how small the market tends to be in trade leagues for that chestpiece, so normally you're not really going to get a choice in the matter.

As for the timeless jewels, I haven't talked about them in the guide because I'm still a bit undecided on whether to make a recommendation there. Timeless jewels aren't exactly a normal upgrade unless you are explicitly using them for the keystone, and making a suggestion also means getting into the details on how to roll and evaluate an individual timeless jewel. So it's just kind of a weird opportunity cost since there are a ton of other very clear deterministic upgrades you can go after with your currency that don't involve any of that complication.

I'm also just currently busted for text space; I'll probably add some section on timeless jewels in the 3.9 update when I re-create this thread so I have the room to talk about the different options. Because the Watcher's Eye is going to be so much harder to acquire in 3.9 I think it makes a little more sense with the opportunity cost of that jewel socket needing to be reevaluated anyway.
Thanks for your guide Wallach ! I had fun playing it this league. I'm waiting for your update on 3.9

I'll try a slightly different version with Divine Ire (switching cold to lightning). The skill looks to good to ignore :)
Replaying this in standard trying to unlock Celestial Hideout, build is still fantastic.

Might replay this in 3.9, I still have to make up my mind :-)
Wallach has created a new thread for this guide over at the link below, as there was no longer room to update in here!:

https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2685450
Contact us at support@grindinggear.com!

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info