[3.7] Slayer Spectral Shield Throw – Captain Legion – Safety & friendly – all content

Hi guys, this is my first build guide in the forum. I’ve been a SST fan since it was released, and I just find out the way to make SST really strong and viable in this patch.

As you know, SST uses your shield to deal damage and free your main hand, so you just need to pick up a powerful shield and a weapon which can improve that power. In this case, I choose Doon Cuebiyari (DC) because it’s cheap and so good to build a stack strength build.

Mechanic:
Spoiler
With DC, you have 1% increased damage per 8 strength, with strength, you have 1 life per 2 strength & 1% melee physical damage per 5 strength, combine all these things, you will get a ton of damage and life if you build massive strength. At last, you just need to pick Iron Grip keystone to convert all bonus melee physical damage from strength to projectile damage.

The next things that make your SST become strong and viable beside the flat base damage are impale and Divide and Conquer jewel. Impale make you deal more damage after per hit (a great buff for non crit build), and DaC make STT to chain 4 times.

So you just need DC and DaC as the core items – super cheap, maybe haemophilia gloves for bleeding. All the rest, you can use anything to stack strength, depend on your budget. Keep in mind, you still could upgrade your gears in the future when you have more currency.

Pros:
Spoiler
fast clear speed, fast boss kill, safety with high life, armour, block chance & leech rate, easy to get 3 endurance charges, can do almost map mods.

Cons:
Spoiler
can’t do no leech map, maybe no regen too. No tanky, because the legions are so dangerous, you have to move your ass all the time, the gameplay is full action.

Leveling:
Spoiler
I planned to play melee build this league, so I use bladestorm dual axes to leveling my character with solo self found items, and then I try a lot of different melee skills. I just switched to SST when I had done all content with the melee build, so I can't tell you exactly how to leveling with SST, but SST is not good to leveling, I suggest you to play melee first, then switch to SST when you strong enough, at least until you have the good shield & main hand weapon like: Chernobog's Pillar & Prismatic Eclipse. finally, you should find & watch some solo self found leveling videos on youtube, to know how to leveling fast & safe, craft leveling items with the essence, and some leveling stuff recipes.

my lvling tree with bladestorm dual axes: https://poeplanner.com/ABEAAL8AEQQAAFy5HRXsivDpRsqQhNlHfr02ZU2-p2BBY3AR1VeXQzHawXTtBS1670z_TiqPYHNnpo11TmXwAdx346luwBp4DbXyNZLYvf6PTeOmV_4KOuHyRXlowQRfPxQg7w5QR-RRl3koKotPm2qFUtlhrY3Pfnas6hj3MnzZ-OtkUk4yF-Em-BNMwaPiYTB3Wf7z3WhlWK826IZgOlK8nxiRrlD-axPJZadbrxR1GNtdLEu8y3p31-OfZ6CHdkp9AAAAAAA=

support gems for 4l bladestorm & ancestral warchief: brutality - close combat - melee physical damage
buff: blood and sand, flesh and stone, pride (or herald of purity)

skill tree I recommend when you switch to SST:
https://poeplanner.com/ABEAAK8AEQQAAFS5HRXsivDpRsqQhNkvzMGCR369NmVNvqd1y-pizZiNfkMx2sF07QUteu9M_04qj2BbrxR1pMJ31y2ekDAhCuOfZ6CHdkp9QKBeE8C_BIePmTJOFHEqY696vq0DXdl8ggf46-oY9zJ82Xasz37yQdIhfuJ5OenVGj5fPxQg7w5QRwHcd-OpbnlowQTAGngNtfJybGxGMgk1kti9topi7Jst_o9N46ZXMZ4AAAAAAA==

some act bosses fight https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YcF_fWaQM8&

Bandit, ascendancy & pantheon:
Spoiler
Bandit: kill all (2 points)
Ascendancy: headsman – bane of legends – endless hunger – brutal fervour
Pantheon: Gruthkul & the Brine King. When you have brutal fervour: Solaris & shakari.

My tree & gears when I do 4 T16 & Uber Elder:

Spoiler

Link gems:
Spoiler
6l: SSTPierceBrutality support - Vicious ProjectilesImpale support - Damage on full life(6l).

4l: Flesh and StoneMaim supportDread BannerPride. If you don’t have -15 mana cost chest armour, use herald of purity instead of pride.

4l: Shield ChargeFortifyCurse on HitVulnerability.

4l: Ancestral ProtectorFaster AttackBlind – Golem/ Dash/ Leap Slam.

3l: Molten ShieldVaal HasteIncreased Duration.

3l: Blood RageCast When Damage TakenTempest Shield.

PoB https://pastebin.com/HsycYZjm

The value of my gears, base on the current prices on trade market:
Spoiler
Shield: 3ex
Chest: 4.5ex
Helmet: 30c
Glove : 20c
Boot : 50-60c
Belt : 100c (unfortunately, the locus of corruption make it more expensive )
Ring: 15 & 45c
Amulet: 20c
Jewel: 15c each
Doon: few c.

Last but not least:
Spoiler
In fact, I could use more powerful items to make my character much stronger, but I did it with normal stuff, and do the hard maps to show you how good and viable it is. Because I know a lot of people, especially non English speakers, when they read a build guide, they just look at the endgame luxury gears, and don’t give a shit about the mechanic

Videos:

My current tree & gears:

Spoiler

the lethal pride give me 2x5% chance to deal double damage at Barbarism and Solidity

After tried out many different physical builds with SST (berserker, slayer, champion, crit & non crit), I think slayer impale non crit is the best. the damage is even higher than the crit version with much more value items (ring curse assassin's mark & +1.5% crit chance chest).

I built a optimal one as you can see in the current gears & tree. about the budget, I spent around 20ex to build it. if you buy out the similar stuff on the market, I think it is over 30ex.

I tested it with 5 emblems, it's really good but still not as good as cyclone or bow builds with the same budget, of course, with a non meta build, I can't expect too much.
Last edited by hanhminh0701 on Jul 7, 2019, 11:18:44 AM
Last bumped on Jul 19, 2019, 12:37:05 AM
Wanted to ask what do you look for in your gear? is it just strength and armor??
"
dragonboi250 wrote:
Wanted to ask what do you look for in your gear? is it just strength and armor??

basic: strength, life & resistance.
with higher budget, u can use: mark of the elder ring + 1 good shaper ring, 3k+ armour shield, pride watcher's eye,...
Last edited by hanhminh0701 on Jun 19, 2019, 9:00:55 PM
what about for the shield? how do you do more damage with shield throw?? physical damage? or all on str?
"
dragonboi250 wrote:
what about for the shield? how do you do more damage with shield throw?? physical damage? or all on str?

pick the pure armour shield, higher armour is better
Thanks for the guide I always wanted to play a SST build.

I didn't quite understand your leveling part; if we decide to level with SST what key nodes do you suggest we take first.
Also any shield recommendations to use until level?
Last which do you think is stronger marauder or duelist (yeah asking on the duelist forum :) )?
Last edited by Chrom on Jun 20, 2019, 9:32:42 AM
"
Chrom wrote:
Thanks for the guide I always wanted to play a SST build.

I didn't quite understand your leveling part; if we decide to level with SST what key nodes do you suggest we take first.
Also any shield recommendations to use until level?
Last which do you think is stronger marauder or duelist (yeah asking on the duelist forum :) )?

I planned to play the melee build this league so I started with bladestorm, and then, I try a lot of different melee skills: lacerate, cyclone, double strike,... I just switched to SST 2 days ago when I had done all content with melee build.

SST is not good to lvling, so you should play melee first, then switch to SST when you're strong enough. at least until you can use the high armour shield like Chernobog's Pillar, and the good main hand like Prismatic Eclipse.

I recommend this tree when you switch to SST, just focus on damage & life, when you get higher level, u can take impale & bleeding then: https://poeplanner.com/ABEAAK8AEQQAAFS5HRXsivDpRsqQhNkvzMGCR369NmVNvqd1y-pizZiNfkMx2sF07QUteu9M_04qj2BbrxR1pMJ31y2ekDAhCuOfZ6CHdkp9QKBeE8C_BIePmTJOFHEqY696vq0DXdl8ggf46-oY9zJ82Xasz37yQdIhfuJ5OenVGj5fPxQg7w5QRwHcd-OpbnlowQTAGngNtfJybGxGMgk1kti9topi7Jst_o9N46ZXMZ4AAAAAAA==

I cant tell you marauder or duelist which is stronger, it depends on your build. I like them both :)
Last edited by hanhminh0701 on Jun 20, 2019, 9:54:30 PM
Cool, thx for the reply!
How is the ST with this? Seems a little low even with GG gear on PoB

Does seem very fun though, always wanted a SST build they always just seem so underwhelming dmg wise
"
MrToweliee wrote:
How is the ST with this? Seems a little low even with GG gear on PoB

Does seem very fun though, always wanted a SST build they always just seem so underwhelming dmg wise

the power of ST depends on your weapon, so you have to use the weapon with high flat dmg, or adds cold damage to attack per dexterity, or the one works well with ailment like poison & bleeding.

one thing I dont like about ST is we have to change gems between clearing and bossing, it's quite unfavorable. if you want to try ST in this patch with the new things, you could play the pure physical dual wielding build, and impale maybe, now you can get high chance to hit easily with the new accurate mechanic.

I have no plan with ST and I dont know it's good or not in this patch, but you can try it in some different ways to find what is the best. You may fail several times, but no problem, you'd still have a good adventure with your favorite skill, and that's the reason we play this game.
Last edited by hanhminh0701 on Jun 20, 2019, 9:33:13 PM

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info