Code of Conduct Changes - Do better at least for optics

Why won't you just make your own forum for your discussions, or a Discord server, if you enjoy talking to each other about certain type of topics so much? Seriously, Discord is cool, especially for such type of conversations where you go off-topic in off-topic. You would have each other, I wouldn't have you. Everyone would be happy!
The Bother progress: 11%

You don't even imagine how much harm you've caused. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to finish "The Bother". You're one of my murderers. You will never get my forgiveness unless you make up for what you've done.
I'm not really capable of making too many posts that aren't inflammatory to somebody in some way. And to be perfectly honest, I couldn't give a damn less about random people's personal sensitivities, online or off. I say very un-PC stuff in public, or in establishments all the time, and nobody ever says a peep to my face about it. There only seems to be outrage on the internet.

This of course means, I'm not going to be around for very long, if I regularly post here, so i'm out. I don't want my account banned on the off chance I decide to play PoE again (looking extremely unlikely at this point), but at least I got some stuff to barter with in standard league....

If I do decide to play PoE again, I'd make my own discord, and anyone can say whatever they want with no rules whatsoever. Because rules on speech are for chumps.
Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jun 12, 2019, 11:12:57 PM
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
I don't want my account banned on the off chance I decide to play PoE again
It's my understanding that forum violations (outside of actual illegality) have a maximum penalty of indefinite probation. For instance, BMBI wasn't banned, merely perma-probated. Unless that policy has also changed, I believe you're worried over nothing.
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
Last edited by ScrotieMcB on Jun 12, 2019, 11:52:25 PM
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:
It's my understanding that forum violations (outside of actual illegality) have a maximum penalty of indefinite probation. For instance, BMBI wasn't banned, merely perma-probated. Unless that policy has also changed, I believe you're worried over nothing.

Yup, I've been put on probation and while I could no longer post on the forums or access private messages, I could still play PoE.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
鬼殺し wrote:
No, you were right, TD. This is enjoyable. I'm struggling to remain gracious in victory-by-proxy but gosh, the wholeheartedness with which some of the people here are failing to grasp their futility in the face of this inevitable if not tardy change in acceptable behaviour in this community is...adorable. I can all but smell their swelling agency panic.

But I will continue to struggle, because I'm just a fighter like that.

Thank you for the belly laugh.
Over 430 threads discussing labyrinth problems with over 1040 posters in support (thread # 1702621) Thank you all! GGG will implement a different method for ascension in PoE2. Retired!
"
When Stephen Colbert was killed by HYDRA's Project Insight in 2014, the comedy world lost a hero. Since his life model decoy isn't up to the task, please do not mistake my performance as political discussion. I'm just doing what Steve would have wanted.
"
鬼殺し wrote:
No, you were right, TD. This is enjoyable. I'm struggling to remain gracious in victory-by-proxy but gosh, the wholeheartedness with which some of the people here are failing to grasp their futility in the face of this inevitable if not tardy change in acceptable behaviour in this community is...adorable. I can all but smell their swelling agency panic.

But I will continue to struggle, because I'm just a fighter like that.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
I genuinely cannot believe you're the same person I recruited to moderate this forum and the in-game chat.

Please don't read that as an invitation to engage. Whoever you are now, I don't like you and I see no point in interacting with you. Just making an observation.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
I lied. One last thing to say.

Everything you think you can't post now, in a broad sense, all the topics you're testing and pushing...I've provided you somewhere to post it and talk about it in a sensible manner, and I did it days before this hammer fell (completely by coincidence). You just have to work a little harder, make it worth people's time. Couch it in, OH NO, an actual fucking argument beyond whatever biased drivel you've found online on this site or that written or recorded by WhoFuckingCares.

The only difference is you benefit from hindsight and moderation when you start with a book.

I can't believe how slow some of you have been here. You act so smart, but all I see are smart-arses. 1984. Puh-lease.

NOW I'm out.

Imagining in your mind that people here call you "your grace" doesn't by extension imply you act gracefully.

Those are not the same things Charan.

Saying your gracious in the same post where you make a caricature out of people in this thread is sort of redundant stupidity for anybody with an inkling of how a discussion or conversation works.

Peace,

-Boem-
Freedom is not worth having if it does not include the freedom to make mistakes
"
ScrotieMcB wrote:
"
MrSmiley21 wrote:

Some of my post was sarcasm. It clearly wasn't received as such.

Although, I'm probably not gonna touch PoE again.

I don't really care if they end up banning me or not, like they did with BMBI, or worse.

And it's to my understanding that they can ban you for any reason they want, or no reason at all. Doesn't mean they'll do it, but they technically can if someone gets under the skin of the right employee. Especially considering that Tencent now owns them.

Last edited by MrSmiley21 on Jun 13, 2019, 2:59:12 PM
"

Another key factor we discussed at length regarding this change is the effect these kinds of topics have on our staff.

"
Forum and game moderation is no easy task

"

"

"

really horrible chat and forum postings

"
We hope to significantly reduce the strain on our staff for the benefit of their mental well-being.

Spoiler
EDIT: oh just to give my opinion on the topic of no-politics on the forums;
I dont mind at all, I even have a character named after it.
Oblivious
Last edited by Disrupted on Jun 15, 2019, 3:57:47 AM
"
鬼殺し wrote:
"
DalaiLama wrote:

Like Dominus casting the exiles out of Theopolis for offending his strict sensibilities, GGG is exiling the free thinkers from OT. We will find another path.

Balderdash, K. Implying those who stay or are comfortable with the new regulation aren't free thinkers.

No such implication was made. GGG's preannounced purge of free thinking does not mean some free thinkers will not remain.

"
鬼殺し wrote:

You know better than that. And you know that there's a huge fucking gap between 'free thinking' and 'free speaking' in terms of a forum.

People imagine that they understand each other, yet much of what we think is hidden behind barriers. Without free speech, there can be no real freedom of thought or effective communication.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
We do not need to know each others' stances on religion and politics to interact here even on some pretty deep, meaningful levels.

"some" - Meaning that many deep interesting conversational topics are verboten. Things that technically qualify as small talk would still be allowed. Facebook level discussion of personal experiences would probably still be allowed.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
And if you disagree, then I'd suggest you review your idea of deep and meaningful, because

"If your opinion is different than mine , then your opinion must be wrong and you should adjust it because..." is what I hear from your comment.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
the controversies of religion and politics are barely a gateway to 'free thinking'. If anything, they are temporal,

temporal adjective (1)
tem·​po·​ral | \ ˈtem-p(ə-)rəl How to pronounce temporal (audio) \
Definition of temporal
(Entry 1 of 3)
1a : of or relating to time as opposed to eternity
b : of or relating to earthly life
c : lay or secular rather than clerical or sacred : civil lords temporal

Religion is the opposite of temporal. Its primary concern is of things not of this Earth, of things eternal. It does have application (in the eyes of adherants) to life on this Earth and how it should be lived, which is where the conflicts come in. Perhaps you meant to use another word instead of temporal?

"
鬼殺し wrote:
facile topics convenient for sowing division and conflict, a shortcut to a facsimile of free thinking that precludes the idea of maybe everyone's right, and maybe everyone's wrong. Maybe we have no idea. THAT is the start of free thinking, not choosing a side and going to hypothetical war over it.

The start of free thinking? Grasping at "I think therefore I am?"

Maybe we have no idea? That is exactly the mindset that precluded any advance in science for thousands of years. Is science perfect and without flaws? Of course not. Our scientific understanding is always changing and occasionally being overturned. It provides us with a model of the world that far more useful than "maybe we have no idea". That we are discussing this topic across the world is proof of that.

So why didn't the Aztecs, the ancient Chinese, the Persians, the Egyptians, the Babylonians or any of other earlier civilizations not reach the levels of science we have? I'll answer that for you - a societal belief that "maybe everyone's right, and maybe everyone's wrong" .

"
鬼殺し wrote:
In fact, were it an attack on free thinking, they wouldn't be excising discussion of certain topics regardless of the position. They'd be pushing one side or another.

Is one side free thinking, and the other not? Unless this is the case, your assumption makes no sense. If both (or many sides) involve free thinking, then the only way to hinder them is to silence them, since there is no "opposite" position to take.

"
鬼殺し wrote:
Far left, far right, fundamentalist this or moderate that...they just don't want to see *any* of that discussed personally here. I checked to see if the book thread might be problematic, and was reassured that in and of itself it is not. And what better way to stymie free thinking than to regulate something like reading and discussion thereof? That's oppression 101. And did they? No.

Not yet. Depending on what books are brought up, we could very well see a difference.

"
鬼殺し wrote:

You have neither the right nor the authority to equate this regulation with 'an attack on free thinking'.

You've assumed a right is necessary to recognize something. Pattern recognition is part of human intelligence. As writer and philosopher George Santayana said "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." We've seen where censorship leads.

Inflammatory Topics? In other words controversial? How about Wraeclast itself? Is that inflammatory/controversial? The poem (The Wanderer) from which GGG found Wraeclast's name is considered controversial - for its potential religious and non-religious themes.

Oft him anhaga are gebideð,
metudes miltse,
þeah þe he modcearig
geond lagulade
longe sceolde
hreran mid hondum
hrimcealde sæ
wadan wræclastas.
Wyrd bið ful aræd!

"Another difficult question has been what, exactly, the wanderer has been learning. Bradley, not surprisingly, views The Wanderer solely as a Christian poem"

"not every scholar has seen this poem as simply Christian sermonizing, the product of a thoroughly Christianized culture. W.W. Lawrence has argued against the separation of the poem into Christian and Pagan elements, believing that the poem was the work of a recently converted people: "

http://homepages.bw.edu/~uncover/Beth_translation_project.htm

http://www.anglo-saxons.net/hwaet/?do=get&type=text&id=Wdr

Under the new GGG policy, such discussion would be forbidden. We can still talk about the weather though.
PoE Origins - Piety's story http://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/2081910

Report Forum Post

Report Account:

Report Type

Additional Info